a break in the middle of summer research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mbe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
exactly what it says in the title- i will have to be taking a break in the middle of my summer research commitments. one week because I am attending an international student conference in indonesia, and maybe another two weeks to meet my family whom I won't have seen for what will be nearly a year come June.

Im not doing a summer research program, just some work with a professor. But what will she think of this? I don't know what I will be working on- it's my first time in the lab, (first year student) so Im thinking I probably will do the basic basic stuff that won't require continuous commitments, but I might be wrong (about the continuous commitment part) or I might even get a project to do. Which I of course would like to do but with this 3 week break in the middle of the holidays... :S and it's really bang in the middle of the holidays, like one month each on either side of the break.

Anyone have anything to say on this situation? Should I cut down the family holiday? I really have no idea what one does in a lab- is it okay to be leaving the lab for 3 weeks or so and come back to it? and most importantly, it's not going to make an impressive LOR is it?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to tell you something that I wish I had learned a long time ago. Stop caring excessively about what other people think. A grumpy PI is going to always be grumpy. That's not in your control. However, for the most part - professors are understanding - just inform the PI asap. Just do what you have to do, do it with tact, and you'll be fine. If you want to worry, you'll find reasons to.

There is no way for us to predict what she will say- the doctors I am doing a summer research project with are working with me so that I can take some time off, relax, and even go to summer camp with them instead of staying in the lab all that week.

Just present it to the PI- most likely if the project isn't something that has to be done in 8 weeks you should be fine. You have to do what is best for you and if the PI has serious issues with it then you don't have to work in their lab or get a LOR from them.

I don't think anyone would begrudge you a week, but three weeks out of what, 8 or 9 total? If I was the researcher, it would bother me.