esob

Protomolecule
Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2015
Icaria Planum
Status
Medical Student
At my institution, and with several professors in general, extra credit is awarded for perfect (or near perfect) attendance. This provides an incentive to attend class. It also provides an incentive for someone who is not attending class to ask a buddy to sign them in on the roster when it gets passed around. At my institution this is considered academic misconduct and you can be failed for the entire class for doing so. You also could, at least in theory, receive an IA on your transcript and thus destroy your chances at medical school.

I figured everyone would know this but pretty much every semester, in at least one of my classes, someone gets busted for doing it. The professors photocopy the roll sheets and then have their TA's look through them for discrepancies. Please, if someone asks you to sign them in, do yourself a favor and let them know you don't plan on throwing your med school hopes away just so that they can dodge class.

OP
esob

esob

Protomolecule
Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2015
Icaria Planum
Status
Medical Student
In my polysci class, the prof used REEF polling to check attendance. She would ask questions and would give you credit for attendance regardless of whether or not you actually got the question right. However, once attendance waned, she started putting up questions such as, "are you committing academic misconduct by simply picking a random answer even though you are not actually in attendance" and then putting answers A/B/C as some iteration of yes, lol. Then she would show the results and sometimes 20% of the class was answering yes to the question of whether or not they were cheating :D

Reactions: 700825 and efle
About the Ads