Medical A Canadian Med School Student in Poland Shares Her Story

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

This interview is the latest in an Accepted blog series featuring interviews with medical school applicants and students, offering readers a behind-the-scenes look at top medical schools and the med school application process. And now, introducing Caroline Lipski...

Accepted: We'd like to get to know you! Where are you from? Where and what did you study as an undergrad?

Caroline: I’m from Vancouver, Canada – aka the land of maple syrup and nice people! I completed two years of a Bachelors of Science program before I decided to switch into a 6 year program in Medical School.

Accepted: Can you share three fun facts about yourself?

Caroline: I love cooking. I volunteered to teach English at a Pediatric Oncology Ward. I love fluffy socks – the best way to get cozy in winter!!

Accepted: What med school are you currently attending? What year are you?

Caroline: I'm studying in Gdańsk Medical School in Poland at their English Division program, and I'm in my 4th year out of a 6 year program.

Accepted: You're an international student... How exciting! How did you come to the decision to study internationally?

Caroline: My parents come from a Polish background so that helped in my choice of schools. I wanted to experience more of the world and different cultures so going to a school in Europe made this possible! I love that everyone is from different backgrounds but we all have a passion for medicine. We all can share those grueling stories of studying and laughs about awkward first time patient interactions.

Accepted: What motivated you to pursue a career in medicine?

Caroline: I surprisingly did not want to become a doctor ever since I was little. When I was little, I dreamed of being a detective or professional candy eater. It was actually my science teacher in 6th grade that amazed me! She was a doctor by profession but chose to teach elementary science, and she was so inspiring. I was excited to go to her classes and learn about the body. That's when I knew I wanted to be a doctor, the sheer interest and awe of biology.

Accepted: You have an Instagram account, Being Doctor, that's filled with pictures of your daily life & med school happenings. What made you want to share your journey with others?

Caroline: Like a lot of others I'm sure, I love Pinterest and a lot of social media sites. I thought taking pictures of my medical journey was a fun outlet for my creativity and allows me to share the parts I love about being a doctor.

Accepted: What has been the biggest unexpected challenge you have faced since starting med school?

Caroline: I would have to say finding the balance between sleep, studying and a social life. First year was very overwhelming because you're getting all this medical lingo thrown at you that you have to memorize and all these interesting people you want to meet. It gets easier with time and you learn to lower your caffeine intake, just a bit, and combine working out and studying with socializing.

Accepted: Did you experience any "hiccups" in your application journey?

Caroline: I wouldn't say there were any big hiccups in my applications – more just the stress of managing all the paperwork and getting it filled on time. It's best to keep yourself organized since you have to juggle so many entrance essays, old report cards and reference letters.

Accepted: Lastly, what suggestions would you give to students who are thinking of applying to international med school programs?

Caroline: I would really recommend an international program for students who want to experience more of the world. It can be challenging with the culture shock and being far away from home, but it's truly an amazing experience that allows you to grow as a person.

You can follow Caroline's journey by following her on Instagram (@being.doctor). Thank you Caroline for sharing your story with us - we wish you continued success!

For one-on-one guidance on your med school applications, check out our catalog of med school admissions services.

Do you want to be featured in Accepted’s blog? If you want to share your med school journey with the world (or at least with our readers), email us at [email protected].

Related Resources:

Medical School Selectivity Index
Put the Med School Application Puzzle Together: Advice from C. Foote
8 To-Dos for Canadians Applying to U.S. Med Schools

This article originally appeared on blog.accepted.com.

Applying to medical school? The talented folks at Accepted have helped hundreds of applicants like you get accepted to their dream programs. Whether you are figuring out where apply, working on your AMCAS application, working on secondary essays, or prepping for your interviews, we are just a call (or click) away.

Contact us, and get matched up with the consultant who will help you get accepted!

Members don't see this ad.