A cliche header, but is dentistry the right career for me specifically?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iridionprime

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A short intro. I'm 22 my gpa is a bit over 3.6 (overall and science) and I have no red flags in terms of grades and whatnot. My DAT scores are fairly good (22 TS, 22AA). But the real issue here is my personality. I've been looked down on pretty much my entire life as the strange little introverted kid. Now to be fair I'm not the type who blushes up and stares at the floor at the slightest hint of conversation. I can very easily keep a conversation going and make eye contact "normally" but to be perfectly honest, I'm the type of person who enjoys alone time more than anything. I'm not afraid to say I'm an average dude and I don't hate society or any nonsense like that but I don't want to have to be a grinning phony to make it as a dentist, do I stand a realistic chance in this profession? And more than anything I will simply never pander to some blowhard who wants to treat me poorly or act like they're royalty. That being said I do have a bit of a temper when provoked and have on numerous occasions shut people down in heated verbal exchanges. But..... I doubt I'd be employed for very long as a dentist if I did that. You can be as brutal as you want in your responses, I can take some criticism hehe. Thanks again for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think all of us on SDN share your personality traits to some extent. If you are referring to the dentist-patient communication aspect of dentistry, then I think you'll be okay because you are humble, honest, and vulnerable to constructive criticism. This will translate into meaningful relationships with patients.

Buuuuuuuut, you "enjoy being alone," so how do you feel when you shadow dentists and see patients?

Sounds exactly like me except for the temper part. I only get into verbal arguments with people I am genuinely close to. I have also worried about the dentist-patient interaction because I'm not a very sociable person, but I don't necessarily think of it as something that will hinder me from becoming a great dentist. Like what MRZ8 said, I believe that honesty along with the quality of service you provide is enough to build meaningful relationships with your patients. People just have to play to their strengths, whether it's being very personable or performing flawless procedures.

Members don't see this ad :)
How can we make that decision? Only you know what you can and cannot do. If you think to yourself "Man, I couldn't talk to patients like this all day" then you found your answer. Being a successful dentist is mostly about how you market yourself and deal with your patients.

Reactions: 1 users
Appreciates alone time more than anything? Oral health pathologist is your destiny.

Reactions: 3 users
Good people skills almost eventually become more important than clinical skills. I've always been fairly introverted, but I love interacting with patients. Some patients will be irritating though. You should shadow some more focusing the social side instead of the procedures before putting yourself in the debt load.

Reactions: 1 user
A short intro. I'm 22 my gpa is a bit over 3.6 (overall and science) and I have no red flags in terms of grades and whatnot. My DAT scores are fairly good (22 TS, 22AA). But the real issue here is my personality. I've been looked down on pretty much my entire life as the strange little introverted kid. Now to be fair I'm not the type who blushes up and stares at the floor at the slightest hint of conversation. I can very easily keep a conversation going and make eye contact "normally" but to be perfectly honest, I'm the type of person who enjoys alone time more than anything. I'm not afraid to say I'm an average dude and I don't hate society or any nonsense like that but I don't want to have to be a grinning phony to make it as a dentist, do I stand a realistic chance in this profession? And more than anything I will simply never pander to some blowhard who wants to treat me poorly or act like they're royalty. That being said I do have a bit of a temper when provoked and have on numerous occasions shut people down in heated verbal exchanges. But..... I doubt I'd be employed for very long as a dentist if I did that. You can be as brutal as you want in your responses, I can take some criticism hehe. Thanks again for any input.
Any health profession will have you dealing with difficult patients at times, but also some really great patients. I think it's silly to be worried about that. Just like in every day life some people will be irritating as f*** while others you will connect with and have a good time.

I do think compassion even for those bitchy patients is necessary though in any health field so that you don't become bitter and hostile (As i've seen many MDs do where I work...)

Reactions: 1 user