A conundrum,

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

spike22

I am in a bit of a bind of what to do right now. As far as background goes, I am a recent graduate from a large state school with a 3.7 GPA. My first MCAT was a 11 PS 6 VR and 10 BS. At the time of my first MCAT my GPA was a 3.6. I realized that I needed to step up the importance of school, so I read a periodical each day, did tons of Extra Curriculars, 4.0'd my last two quarters, shadowed like a mutha, research, and re-took the MCAT, 12 PS, 9 VR, 12 BS. I applied to a range of schools from Harvard, Johns Hopkins to Drexel, Rosa Linda etc. 21 schools in all.

Thus far, I have had 9 interview offers:
Creighton, MCW, Dartmouth, Wash U, U Wash, Rosa Linda, Prizker, Vanderbilt, and Saint Louis Medical.

I was accepted to St. Louis Medical School.

I have been put on hold for further consideration from Prizker, and rejected by U of Washington, Georgetown (no interview).

I did not go to Rosa Linda or Creighton because I was already in medical school, and I felt like I was doing pretty good, but now that the new year is rolling around, it is making me nervous. Getting rejected from UW, and being put on hold from Prizker, with time really running out is not good news for me.

What would you guys/gals suggest? Send letters of intent or interest? I feel that somehow I just piqued the interest of some schools with my story of overcoming some education adversity and some EC's I have done.

I have yet to receive any interviews for about 12 schools..... so obviously I am missing something. Any thoughts, opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to the club about not hearing back from so many schools. You and I have similar stats, and I have the same problem.

From the director of admissions that I have talked to, letters of interest and intent are to be sent out after you have been placed on a waitlist. I'm not sure if some schools will consider them if you send them post interview, but from what I've heard, dont send them till WL

I applied to a range of schools from Harvard, Johns Hopkins to Drexel, Rosa Linda etc. 21 schools in all.

Creighton, MCW, Dartmouth, Wash U, U Wash, Rosa Linda, Prizker, Vanderbilt, and Saint Louis Medical.

I was accepted to St. Louis Medical School

Most schools interview only 10-30% of those who apply. Going 9/21 puts you at better than average.

Most schools admit only a small fraction of their applicants (my school admits about 5%). You are 1 for 21 which means you are going to medical school.

Go enjoy the next seven or eight months of your life.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools interview only 10-30% of those who apply. Going 9/21 puts you at better than average.

Most schools admit only a small fraction of their applicants (my school admits about 5%). You are 1 for 21 which means you are going to medical school.

Go enjoy the next seven or eight months of your life.

qft

not to mention you got interview offers from some of the top schools on your list like Wash U and Vanderbilt with a 3.7 and 33 ....seriously, why are you b*tching?? Your post made me angry and you are super ungrateful despite having an excellent application cycle. some people on here absolutely disgust me...including u.

jeez relax man :laugh: (skinMD)

I have yet to receive any interviews for about 12 schools..... so obviously I am missing something. Any thoughts, opinions?

Receiving interviews from every school you applied to is even rarer than getting over a 40 on the MCAT...so there's nothing to worry about. That is, unless you think you're better than everyone else :smuggrin:

9 interviews! Do you really need anymore. You are already accepted and you still can't relax. As said above, just take some time off and relax a bit. You are going to get in. And a word of advice, I wouldn't post too many things like this because you are gonna get quite a few people up your @&* about it (see above)

also i want to know what ECs you did to have received interviews from pritzker, wash u, and vandy. thats really impressive. :

what the heck is rosa linda?

you mean loma linda or rosalind franklin?

i agree with the above... maybe if you hadn't gotten any acceptances by now (like a lot of people) you would realize what a great position you're in and be a bit more thankful... good luck!

To everyone that went psycho: CALM DOWN, as future physicians you should you know your BP has gone through the roof.
I am amazed at the amount of people who responded, in both volume and anger.

As far as the EC's: studying to become a nursing aid, three research projects, 2 poster presentations for research, volunteering at a hospital, mini-medical school, shadowed 6 difference physician specialties, volunteering in a medical clinic, medical journal club, and various other community service ordeals.

And yes, I know I am very fortunate, but as we all know, as part of the human condition, everyone wants more. Also, yeah 9 interviews is sweet, but I won't go to two and one more I probably won't go to as well. So that leaves 6 interviews thus far, with 1 rejections and one alternate. Most importantly, interviews do not mean **** when you do not get in.

now, relax everyone, I was not bitching but wanting advice because for once in my life, I was acting like a neurotic pre-med.

I am in a bit of a bind of what to do right now. As far as background goes, I am a recent graduate from a large state school with a 3.7 GPA. My first MCAT was a 11 PS 6 VR and 10 BS. At the time of my first MCAT my GPA was a 3.6. I realized that I needed to step up the importance of school, so I read a periodical each day, did tons of Extra Curriculars, 4.0'd my last two quarters, shadowed like a mutha, research, and re-took the MCAT, 12 PS, 9 VR, 12 BS. I applied to a range of schools from Harvard, Johns Hopkins to Drexel, Rosa Linda etc. 21 schools in all.

I was accepted to St. Louis Medical School.

I have been put on hold for further consideration from Prizker, and rejected by U of Washington, Georgetown (no interview).

I did not go to Rosa Linda or Creighton because I was already in medical school, and I felt like I was doing pretty good, but now that the new year is rolling around, it is making me nervous. Getting rejected from UW, and being put on hold from Prizker, with time really running out is not good news for me.

What would you guys/gals suggest? Send letters of intent or interest? I feel that somehow I just piqued the interest of some schools with my story of overcoming some education adversity and some EC's I have done.

You've got an acceptance from a very good school -_- stop tripping.

And yes, I know I am very fortunate, but as we all know, as part of the human condition, everyone wants more. Also, yeah 9 interviews is sweet, but I won't go to two and one more I probably won't go to as well. So that leaves 6 interviews thus far, with 1 rejections and one alternate. Most importantly, interviews do not mean **** when you do not get in.

And 1 acceptance.

I have very similar stats to yours and got into SLU. I'm going to enjoy the next 7 months of my life.

I don't really understand what the OP's question is... your only option is to just wait to hear back. Its early January, some schools wont let you know until maybe March? You've been accepted to a school so that is a good/great thing. If you had zero and heard nothing since, you 'could' be allowed to worry but I don't even understand what you are 'worried about'...

Don't frantically send schools more paperwork just because you want to hear them say yay or nay, go play some Hayyyylooooooooww