A couple of questions for those with families...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sthpawslugger

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a new dad of about 4 months here. I've been thinking about my 4th year rotations and have a couple of questions. Did having a family at all play a role in how many away/audition rotations you scheduled, especially if you have a baby(ies) or toddler(s)? Also, have any of you applied to residency programs that are in or very near family's hometown, specialties that you wouldn't necessarily be opposed to doing, but aren't your top choice either?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, yes and yes for me. We have a toddler and another on the way and that's encouraging me to do minimal time away from home outside of a couple auditions at most. Granted, I hope to go into a field where auditions aren't really recommended for the most part.

I'll be applying to residencies mainly near our families, but that's only like 4 places in my case. I'll definitely apply to more distant programs as well, because there are some things that at least warrant consideration of moving your family for; one of those things to me is my career and hence our future stability as a family.

Enjoy the times with your little one, as there will be big moments you miss, big moments you're there for and inevitable rough patches on the way. Med school and life as an attending is almost assuredly a net positive though because you will have 40+ years (with any luck) to make up for those stupid long step study/clinic/rounds nights.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a now almost 2 year old and it has made me not want to do any out rotations. Thankfully I am wanting to go into a specialty that it also doesn’t matter if I do always or not. We are generally looking at moving back toward family but we are also very open minded on where we end up for residency. It has been a long journey but totally worth it

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I had two kids as a 4th year. I only did one away to limit time away from them. I just tried my best to crush my away.

Did 2 aways, took them with me

Did 2 aways and was sick and tired of being away from my family. Cancelled my third away at a top 10 academic institution and had no regret.

For your information, I had a 4 month old baby when I went on my first away. The extra squeeze isn’t worth it especially when you account for the time away from going to 8-12 IIs.

Reactions: 2 users
Did 2 aways and was sick and tired of being away from my family. Cancelled my third away at a top 10 academic institution and had no regret.

For your information, I had a 4 month old baby when I went on my first away. The extra squeeze isn’t worth it especially when you account for the time away from going to 8-12 IIs.
Oh man, I totally understand missing your family. I thought FaceTime would suffice to interact with my daughter. She would hear my voice and react to that, but would look about wondering where daddy's voice was coming from even though she could see my face. There's nothing like real face time and holding your kid, letting them tug on your finger, etc. What specialty did you end up going into? I have wanted to do Ortho for a long time, and know that it's important to do as many aways as possible. Yet, I'm really tempted to do only 2 and as a backup do one or two at the primary care residency programs in my hometown. If my daughter was 8 or 9, I'd be more willing to do more aways, but so much happens in the first year or so, and I just can't miss that.

I have a toddler, and a little one on the way. It's really nice to see others dealing with this struggle as well. I am terrified of having to do an away Sub-I later this year and leaving my wife alone with a 2.5 y/o and a 4 month old for a month, and would like to avoid it if possible

All of you with spouse and kids... How do you manage finances? Certainly you can't live entirely on little loan disbursements, can you? Does your spouse work? If so, do you put your kids in daycare?

All of you with spouse and kids... How do you manage finances? Certainly you can't live entirely on little loan disbursements, can you? Does your spouse work? If so, do you put your kids in daycare?
Smart budgeting and occasionally savings.

SO works, and use most of the stipend on daycare.

Wife is a nurse and we have kids in day care and we have family help with the kids too

My kid was born start of M4 and I had aways starting when they were 5 weeks old. It sucked being away but my partner, but she had maternity leave and held down the fort. I’m doing EM so clustered my shifts and tried to come home for chunks - which included flights to and from.

The good thing is that it’s temporary and the rest of 4th year is cake so I’m making up time in spades.