A couple questions regarding AMCAS application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mike wang

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm planning on submitting the AMCAS application early June, and I have a couple questions that I was hoping you guys would answer :)
1) I am listed as a co-author on a paper that has been submitted to a journal approximately two months ago and we are still waiting to hear back form the journal. Since the AMCAS application requires a publication date, I'm assuming they don't accept manuscripts under review; so my question is whether I should wait on my primary application until my publication is accepted or not.
2) The AMCAS application doesn't allow me to enter experiences that I am expecting to start later. In other words, I have been guaranteed a pretty good research position at a good school starting in August 2014 and AMCAS doesn't allow me to enter the start date of the position as August 2014, does anyone know how I can go about listing this experience on my application?
3) How do private American med schools view Canadian applicants? In other words, if they allow Canadians to apply, do they still prefer American citizens over Canadian applicants?
4) Lastly, since the AMCAS application has only 15 slots for work/activities, do you quys think I should limit my application to show more of my clinical volunteering/shadowing positions or show that I am well-rounded student by listing intramural teams and volunteering positions at long-term care hospitals...etc.

Thanks for all your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I'm planning on submitting the AMCAS application early June, and I have a couple questions that I was hoping you guys would answer :)
1) I am listed as a co-author on a paper that has been submitted to a journal approximately two months ago and we are still waiting to hear back form the journal. Since the AMCAS application requires a publication date, I'm assuming they don't accept manuscripts under review; so my question is whether I should wait on my primary application until my publication is accepted or not.
2) The AMCAS application doesn't allow me to enter experiences that I am expecting to start later. In other words, I have been guaranteed a pretty good research position at a good school starting in August 2014 and AMCAS doesn't allow me to enter the start date of the position as August 2014, does anyone know how I can go about listing this experience on my application?
3) How do private American med schools view Canadian applicants? In other words, if they allow Canadians to apply, do they still prefer American citizens over Canadian applicants?
4) Lastly, since the AMCAS application has only 15 slots for work/activities, do you quys think I should limit my application to show more of my clinical volunteering/shadowing positions or show that I am well-rounded student by listing intramural teams and volunteering positions at long-term care hospitals...etc.

Thanks for all your help!

1) include that you have submitted a manuscript in the description of your research. Once published, you could send an update letter. Do not delay your application until publication is accepted (could involve months of reviews!!)
2) You can't include an experience you haven't started in your ECs. Most secondaries ask what you are doing this upcoming year; that is the place to talk about it.
3) can't help with this one :l
4)15 slots should be sufficient to include everything that you do--take a look at what you are listing and see if some things can be merged together. For example, you could stick all your shadowing together, or all your intramural/hobby activities together.