a couple questions regarding NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

derisivewords

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Anyone know what NYU's grading scheme is? Also, does anyone have any insight as to why NYU's top 3 residency match percentages are lower than similarly reputable schools (say, Mount Sinai)?

Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

I second that question.....
According to the USnews rankings, I believe NYU has like 65% match rate to their top choice (or top 3, I'm not sure)...anyhow, the schools ranked above and below them have a match rate of 80ish %. Kind of wierd. :confused:

Any takers? It would be most helpful and appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
The statistic of students who get one of their top 3 residency choices isn't reliable for a lot of schools. One school (definitely NOT top teir, but I'd rather not say where) admitted that most of their students (especially the ones in the lower 50% of the class) put a non-competitive family practice or internal medicine residency as their third choice. Meanwhile, in some other schools, most students might make their top 5 choice highly competitive residencies, and then get their 4th choice.

Yes I agree, but in comparison to similarly esteemed schools (eliminating prestige, research money, and the primary care to specialty ratio... and let's use Sinai to compare, so that we eliminate the location factor), it -is- rather low. I was wondering if anyone happened to see a match list during their interviews -- maybe 20 people decided they wanted to do orthopedics that year, huh. Also was wondering if that's a trend, or some sort of aberration that year.

And, does anyone know how NYU does their grading???

The grading system at NYU is Pass/Fail the first two years and then some type of augmented grading scale i.e. honors, high pass, pass, fail.