a crazy idea about purchasing the aamc tests...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dextor2003

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so one of my friends has a really crazy idea, which im not sure is too smart....
he's gotten a whole bunch of people together to contribute to the total cost of purchasing all 7 aamc tests online...so he's basically gonna share the login with a bunch of people...he told me that he asked the dean of his prehealth office about this, and she got a response from the aamc saying that the login will be terminated upon sharing the account...but he's obstinate about thinking it's just a scare tactic, since he thinks that theres no way that they could find out if, and how many, people are sharing the account

so i guess my question is, is there a way the aamc website dudes can know this ?? ...even though he says he'll "make sure" no one takes a test online at the same time...hopefully multiple logins to the same account arent even possible..

Members don't see this ad.

It's actually really easy to track stuff like that. Besides, the last group of people you want to piss off is the AAMC. All they would have to do is bar you from taking the MCAT and there goes any chance of being a doctor. So do you think saving a couple hundred is worth that risk?

so one of my friends has a really crazy idea, which im not sure is too smart....
he's gotten a whole bunch of people together to contribute to the total cost of purchasing all 7 aamc tests online...so he's basically gonna share the login with a bunch of people...he told me that he asked the dean of his prehealth office about this, and she got a response from the aamc saying that the login will be terminated upon sharing the account...but he's obstinate about thinking it's just a scare tactic, since he thinks that theres no way that they could find out if, and how many, people are sharing the account

so i guess my question is, is there a way the aamc website dudes can know this ?? ...even though he says he'll "make sure" no one takes a test online at the same time...hopefully multiple logins to the same account arent even possible..

everyone can chip in, one person can buy all the 7 aamc exams, and print them into a PDF file..theres a "take this test on paper" option..and you could give those pdf's to whom ever you like.

There is no way they can know if you are smart about it. Everywhere you log in to the internet there is an IP address. At each home there are different IP addresses supplied to each customer. Yet, if ever have networking (sharing one internet connection), the IP addresses are all split from a single address. Think of them as mailing addresses (showing where you send your mail from or receive it).

What AAMC can do is tell where you are logging on, for example if you log in at 12 different IP addresses this will likely raise a flag. Then your account will be watched carefully. If you all took the tests at a public IP, like your school library then AAMC could never know if it was only you or other people using it (because it would be a mix of public IPs, they couldn't tell).

If you really wanted to do this it would be better to share pdf's but mind you this is illegal. They obviously don't want you to share these as they would sell less. So if you are intentionally doing something ethically wrong just to save a few bucks, then that isn't good character.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no way they can know if you are smart about it. Everywhere you log in to the internet there is an IP address. At each home there are different IP addresses supplied to each customer. Yet, if ever have networking (sharing one internet connection), the IP addresses are all split from a single address. Think of them as mailing addresses (showing where you send your mail from or receive it).

What AAMC can do is tell where you are logging on, for example if you log in at 12 different IP addresses this will likely raise a flag. Then your account will be watched carefully. If you all took the tests at a public IP, like your school library then AAMC could never know if it was only you or other people using it (because it would be a mix of public IPs, they couldn't tell).

If you really wanted to do this it would be better to share pdf's but mind you this is illegal. They obviously don't want you to share these as they would sell less. So if you are intentionally doing something ethically wrong just to save a few bucks, then that isn't good character.
they would know if the account is being used simultaneously.

they would know if the account is being used simultaneously.

Yes. I didn't mention that because OP said that they wouldn't use simultaneously.

And it would likely flag you if you had used the AAMC account to take practice test 4 more than a few times. There are likely activity reports and seeing an account used on a single test more than a few times (like 5-10 times) would definitely cause them to look closer.

yea i completely agree with you guys. i personally am not a fan of his idea, nor am i taking part in it. i was just worried for him and his friends (cuz we share the same group of friends) in case they get caught or something

thanks for the input! ill try talking him out of it some more

I know people who have done this. The computer seemed remarkably unconcerned about the fact that the account was sometimes logged into by more than one person, with multiple tests happening simultaneously. There are a few technical glitches when this happens, but nothing serious.

My one piece of advice to anyone doing this is to not use your real name, just to be safe.

In the end it's a bad way to start your medical career.

Labeling yourself a cheater and being bought at a cheap price. Your integrity is only worth a few hundred dollars?

Reminds me of the line in Braveheart,

Longshanks: I gave Mornay double his lands in Scotland and matching estates in England. Lochlan turned for much less.

Don't be that guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.