a D in one course...chances of getting into pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cooldudeee123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi
i have a question abt the course cell biology. it is not considered a pre-requisite for the pharmacy schools but i was wondering whether a D in this class would affect my application.do u suggest me taking it again or take another science course and have an A in that. my sciecne overall average is pretty gud.
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Everything on your transcript matters unless it's your last semester and you have an offer letter in your hand. Then it only matters if it's a specific pre-req. for that school. That being said, you wouldn't want them to see that you're weak in any area of the sciences, but if you do it's not the end of the world. I agree that you should retake it, whether it's a pre-req or not. You now have to prove you can handle upper level sciences, of which cell bio is apart.

hey

what are the chances of being acepted to pharmacy school when having a D in one course in undergraduate... should i retake the class to make an A or take some other classes and make an A in those....
plz share any views in this, for pharmacy students who have gotten accepted...what would you suggest..

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should retake the class. A "D" definitely doesn't look good on a transcript.
Good Luck! I'm sure you'll do better the second time around!

hey

what are the chances of being acepted to pharmacy school when having a D in one course in undergraduate... should i retake the class to make an A or take some other classes and make an A in those....
plz share any views in this, for pharmacy students who have gotten accepted...what would you suggest..

thanks

It depends on which class. If it's not a prereq and your other grades are decent I wouldn't worry about it. USC took me with a "D" in Intro to Visual Arts, which I retook and got another "D" (technically two D's as far as PharmCAS is concerned) Keep in mind I'll have a BS in Chem(Biochem concentration) with a 3.59 cumulative and 3.50 science GPA. So like I say, it depends.

hey

thanks

Was that course in which you made a D one of the prerequisites? A lot of pharmacy schools require that you pass with a C or better.. For instance, the pharmacy school I will be attending in the fall will not accept a course as transfer if it is not at least a C... So if it was a prereq. course, I suggest you take it again. Good luck! :)

I had a D in an Accounting class, but I retook it an got an A.

I got into three schools with a GPA of around 3.45 and a 94 PCAT.

So no, a D isn't the kiss of death but don't make it a habit!:)

hi
i have a question abt the course cell biology. it is not considered a pre-requisite for the pharmacy schools but i was wondering whether a D in this class would affect my application.do u suggest me taking it again or take another science course and have an A in that. my sciecne overall average is pretty gud.
thanks

This would have been good information to have when I responded to your other thread. (now merged into this one) In the case of cell bio, it's not going to kill your application, but it's a lot more important than my intro to visual art class (one reason why it's helpful to have only one thread on any given subject, you may or may not currently know what I'm talking about and almost noone else will). Cell Bio, while not a prereq, will be calculated in your science GPA if you apply through PharmCAS which means it will weigh your science GPA down. If you have enough other science classes with higher grades, it can still be okay though. My C and C+ in PChem I/II didn't damage my science GPA too badly, but if you've got other lower grades mixed in, it can make your science GPA not-so-artificially low. If your school calculates a separate "pre-req" GPA it could get you over the hurdle, but I'd certainly try your hardest not to let it happen again.

Same question, same poster, now same thread. Hope that helps unify discussion.

Everything on your transcript matters unless it's your last semester and you have an offer letter in your hand. Then it only matters if it's a specific pre-req. for that school. That being said, you wouldn't want them to see that you're weak in any area of the sciences, but if you do it's not the end of the world. I agree that you should retake it, whether it's a pre-req or not. You now have to prove you can handle upper level sciences, of which cell bio is apart.

I agree with this assessment.

I am in the situation with acceptance letter in hand, Cell Bio. not required, but I honestly feel my professor for this semester put the screws to my grade in the course with a "B+" instead of the "A". Of course I know this does not affect my acceptance at all, considering the other courses this semester are all "A's". But the principle of the matter...

I got a D+ in bio 2 the first time I took it (it was a bad semester for a lot of reasons, not to mention the professor was the worst one I've EVER had). I retook it the next semester and got a B+... and I just got into a school.

Will a D hurt you? Yes, but if you show improvement and take some upper level classes (like A&P, microbio, biochem) and do well, it shows that you can handle the work and it may have just been a fluke.