SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

A Day in the life of a D1

Discussion in 'Dental' started by pmantz, May 4, 2007.

1. pmantz

pmantz Member 5+ Year Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Milwaukee
    Hello.
    I am a soon to be D1 student at Marquette. Just wondering what an average day is like. I have a wife who works full time, and 3 kids- I know I can juggle it all- just wanting to get an idea of the work that is cut out for me next year.
    Thanks in advance for your replies.
    Paul

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. pmantz

Jul 3, 2006
    Milwaukee
    Bump

4. armorshell

armorshell One Man Freak Show Dentist Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Apr 12, 2006
    You might want to check out JavadiCavity's blog, http://www.rubberdam.blogspot.com

He's a student at UoP. so it's going to be a little different of course, but he's going through this whole mess with a wife and kids as well, so it might give you some insight.

Also (I can't believe I'm beating him to it :) ) http://dmdstudent.com/

5. burton117

burton117 The Big Kahuna 10+ Year Member

Jan 7, 2004
  6. pmantz

Jul 3, 2006
    Milwaukee
    I checked that blog out, its pretty cool. It just blows my mind how fast everything comes at you. I am sure UoP is a bit different then regular 4yr programs, but dam I am glad I am not going there.

7. wishfulthinker

wishfulthinker 2+ Year Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Well I'm studying for a final right now so I can tell you it sucks, the wife and kids will have to be a little understanding. Although I do have classmates who are married and have children but I dont know how well they are doing. I know theyre passing but is it straight A++++ that you're going for so you can go on to do oral surgery or C=DMD so you can get on with your career? I think the best thing to do is go to class, get the most you can there bc youll be there all day long anyway and just figure out what marquettes test strategy is - like if they have old exams available for the students and the tests are very similar, then it might just be worth your while to breathe easy and just look at old tests and settle with a B or C and still see your kids at night cause most days the day will be over before you know it and yoll still feel like "Wait, i just started but if i had one more day, id be up to date for today!"
    youll be fine

8. pmantz

Jul 3, 2006
    Milwaukee
    Thanks, this is similar advice I got from a Marquette Alum. I am going to to do my best but I am definately not a gunner. I would like to do well enough to land a decent residency for a year. I am just aprenhensive about kids and d-school. I have done fine as of yet, but have sacraficed the high marks for my family. Oh well

9. 1992Corolla

1992Corolla CheerioKing 7+ Year Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Why don't you guys check out DMDstude -- oh, wait nevermind...

:p

:thumbup:

10. TopDocChick

TopDocChick Rock Star 2+ Year Member

Jun 13, 2007
    You'll be fine. You just have to find yourself a hammer....

11. clickytop

clickytop Guest

Jun 14, 2007
    la grange
    If I had a hammer, I'd hammer in the morning, I'd hammer in the evening ... all over this land