A Day in the Life of a Medical Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hockeydoc9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There was a special either on Dateline NBC, or some other show similar to that a week or two ago about 'A Day in the Life of a Medical Resident.' As would be expected, I missed it because I was studying for exams. Does anybody know where I could find this video to watch it online?

Members don't see this ad.

This scares the **** out of me...I can't wait.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow, I wished it were only 11 minutes then "part 2 plays" then 3 then 4 then lol I had fun!

wow all I can say after watching 2 mins of that is know your ****

Just watched it.

w-o-w

At the end they talk about how the ones who can't make it get "weeded out". Simple 2-word phrase, but with dramatic implications.

What happens to those who get "weeded out"? I mean these are people who after thousands of dollars, countless hours, blood/sweat/tears finally made it into a residency, only to get "weeded out"....... what the heck do they then do??

Last edited:
Just watched it.

w-o-w

At the end they talk about how the ones who can't make it get "weeded out". Simple 2-word phrase, but with dramatic implications.

What happens to those who get "weeded out"? I mean these are people who after thousands of dollars, countless hours, blood/sweat/tears finally made it into a residency, only to get "weeded out"....... what the heck do they then do??

It is indeed a scary thought! Sadly, they suffer the same fate as people who lie on their applications and get caught later, etc... It's unfair that the same punishment goes to an honest person who simply can't make it as a physician although they graduated medical school and matched into residency. That amount of debt would be soul-crushing and I pity the few people in the leftward tip of the residency bell curve! It could easily be anyone who thought it couldn't be them.:scared:

Just watched it.

w-o-w

They go on to start a weight loss clinic in Arizona

It is indeed a scary thought! Sadly, they suffer the same fate as people who lie on their applications and get caught later, etc... It's unfair that the same punishment goes to an honest person who simply can't make it as a physician although they graduated medical school and matched into residency. That amount of debt would be soul-crushing and I pity the few people in the leftward tip of the residency bell curve! It could easily be anyone who thought it couldn't be them.:scared:

It would be terrible for that person, but it isn't a punishment, it's a lack of ability. Fair isn't relevant.

No, seriously,,,,, what do they do?

Well, I don't know what most of them do, but there aren't actually that many people who don't make it through residency. There are very few people that get kicked out of residency, and a lot of times I think they just reapply to other residency programs (like, those in less desirable locations and in less desirable specialties) and eventually make it through. Also, a lot of the people who get fired from their residencies get fired for doing something dishonest or unethical. Most people who make it to residency can and do make it through residency. Don't panic!

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't think many residents get weeded out in the sense they have to leave medicine. in the rare case that someone's contract doesn't get renewed (that's usually how it's done) they often end up at a different program that's hurting for residents or in a different specialty. most people that can get through ms2 and ms3 can make it in residency.

Well, I don't know what most of them do, but there aren't actually that many people who don't make it through residency. There are very few people that get kicked out of residency, and a lot of times I think they just reapply to other residency programs (like, those in less desirable locations and in less desirable specialties) and eventually make it through. Also, a lot of the people who get fired from their residencies get fired for doing something dishonest or unethical. Most people who make it to residency can and do make it through residency. Don't panic!

Agreed. When they talk about "weeding out" it has more to do with people quitting on their own to go do other things/specialties. They were not talking about them firing you. For the most part unless if ur so incompetent that you are actually a danger to everyone around you, you wont get fired. You are more likely to quit on your own if you cant handle the pressure.

Anyone know anything about the specific residency program portrayed in this show?

was I the only person that got scared just watching this? Man, those couple years are gonna be rough.

nope, i got scared as well... :eek:

lol i need a hug
frown.gif

Can anyone whose gone through residency comment on if it is really this tough...or if it has been slightly sensationalized for TV?

Am I the only one who didn't think this was all that bad? And thought that if residency were like this, it'd be just about as expected?

Not all programs are that rough. But once you get through MS3 and MS4, you'll be a bit more prepared.

Having said that, I start residency in less than 5 months. In 4 months I go from "Ms. ShyRem" to "Dr. ShyRem". And that scares and excites me at the same time.

Great video. Thanks for posting. :)

What they don't tell you is your first month of residency you are *not* ultimately responsible for your patient. There are many, many eyes watching after you. And ALL years you have upper level support to guide you. That doesn't mean attendings can't *expect* you to function autonomously and make you feel like poo when you don't know the answer.

Daughter is in second year of residency. During the first year she had a rotation of six weeks in the CCU and 60% of her patients died. Telling loved ones about the lost ones is the thing that gets her the most. However, when a letter comes in from a woman who was unable to see a doctor for 15 years because of costs and my daughter diagnoses a condition while working at free clinic that saves the patient's life. This is what it is all about. It looks like a lot of work with many ups and downs.

The pecking order starting at the top working down

Attending physician
Residents
Interns
Medical Students

Admitted patients are usually looked at by teams of these people. Each is teaching the level below allowing procedures to be performed and grading the individual. The number of patients covered by a resident depends on the demand of the rotation and the abilities in the area of coverage.

Rounding appears to be the most stressful time along with the 80 hour work week. The 80 hours was reduced from 120 hours some 4 or 5 years ago. Talking about stress.

Can anyone whose gone through residency comment on if it is really this tough...or if it has been slightly sensationalized for TV?

I only saw the first video, but it seems slightly sensationalized for TV. Although there are definitely attendings in real life who have perfected the "irate stare-down." :laugh:

That being said, that intern who is in the pediatric ICU seems like he's making things unnecessarily hard for himself. He will definitely get his patients "mixed up" if he doesn't write stuff down. There's a saying that the dullest pencil is always better than the sharpest intern, and it's surprising how true that is. As a med student, I always thought it was a bit dorky that attendings carried around huge sheafs of index cards with their patients on them....but now I'm doing it too. :oops: When you have 12 patients to take care of, you definitely need paper reminders of what's going on with each of them.

The only thing I think is truly dorky with attendings I've seen involves the ones that are wearing bowties on a regular basis. I have a hard time taking someone seriously when they have a brightly colored bowtie on.

was I the only person that got scared just watching this? Man, those couple years are gonna be rough.

Didn't really scare me as much as confirm my decision not to go into surgery.

That being said, that intern who is in the pediatric ICU seems like he's making things unnecessarily hard for himself. He will definitely get his patients "mixed up" if he doesn't write stuff down. There's a saying that the dullest pencil is always better than the sharpest intern, and it's surprising how true that is. As a med student, I always thought it was a bit dorky that attendings carried around huge sheafs of index cards with their patients on them....but now I'm doing it too. :oops: When you have 12 patients to take care of, you definitely need paper reminders of what's going on with each of them.

I bet the camera makes you a little extra nervous that first day!!!

I couldn't do intern year on camera. ugh...it's hard enough already.

Anyone know anything about the specific residency program portrayed in this show?

Yeah, it's the categorical pediatric residency program at Arkansas Children's Hospital associated with UAMS. I interviewed there this interview season and was very impressed. I'm not sure where the surgical resident is from that they show assisting with some sort of burn surgery/debridement in the middle of the show.

I haven't had a chance to watch the video in the link yet, but I will say this: I completed my residency in a very busy urban university hospital (Hahnemann). If I can make it to become a Medicine attending then anyone can!

Am I the only one who didn't think this was all that bad? And thought that if residency were like this, it'd be just about as expected?

It really wasn't that bad and working that hard isn't that bad. If you find a specialty that you truly enjoy going to work can be fun. Yes sometimes its sad, sometimes you screw up, sometimes you're stuck working with someone you don't jive with . . . but for the most part it can be truly enjoyable. I'd rather work intense hours doing something I really love and am interested in than have a 9-5 that bored me to tears.

thanks for the link

anyone know if there's a clip like this, but with surgery residents?

thanks for the link

anyone know if there's a clip like this, but with surgery residents?

I think they mixed in surgery residents some there without directly pointing it out, in that "stitch and bitch" scene I seem to remember that attending was talking about what its like being a female surgeon.

I think they mixed in surgery residents some there without directly pointing it out, in that "stitch and bitch" scene I seem to remember that attending was talking about what its like being a female surgeon.

Oh, I guess that's where I got the idea that it was surgery and they were just at a children's hospital. :confused: In the case that this is a peds residency, yes this scares me. Isn't peds supposed to be one of the less stressful residencies?? Yikes.

Oh, I guess that's where I got the idea that it was surgery and they were just at a children's hospital. :confused: In the case that this is a peds residency, yes this scares me. Isn't peds supposed to be one of the less stressful residencies?? Yikes.

Less competitive. Not necessarily less stressful.

And this program is one of the more competitive peds programs.

The only thing I think is truly dorky with attendings I've seen involves the ones that are wearing bowties on a regular basis. I have a hard time taking someone seriously when they have a brightly colored bowtie on.

And I'm sure others will find it difficult to take you seriously when you judge the competency of a physician based on a purely aesthetic wardrobe accompaniment.

Also dont forget that this was representative of 1 rotation. They are not spending their entire residency doing what you saw. Right at the begining of the piece, they mentioned that this is the most demanding rotation that they are required to do at that program. It looked to me like it was more peds trauma than general peds.

There are a number of non-competitive specialties that still have very challenging rotations. Medicine, peds, family medicine, ob/gyn, etc. can still be extremely difficult. I think the most hours I've ever seen any resident work was my medicine resident at the VA for inpatient medicine. He was in the hospital longer than any of the surgery residents were on any of my surgery rotations. The flipside was that the next month, he was on a rotation without overnight call.

There are a few relatively easy residencies, but most of them will have some really challenging rotations at least some of the time (others will be hard almost all of the time).

Also dont forget that this was representative of 1 rotation. They are not spending their entire residency doing what you saw. Right at the begining of the piece, they mentioned that this is the most demanding rotation that they are required to do at that program. It looked to me like it was more peds trauma than general peds.

I think they were covering the entire year, but they really only showed a couple scenes from each rotation. Seemed like they had scenes from an ER rotation, PICU rotation, NICU rotation and some sort of rehab rotation.

And I'm sure others will find it difficult to take you seriously when you judge the competency of a physician based on a purely aesthetic wardrobe accompaniment.

And I'm sure they will find it difficult to take you seriously when you can't interpret sarcasm/humor in a situation or comment.

What they don't tell you is your first month of residency you are *not* ultimately responsible for your patient. There are many, many eyes watching after you. And ALL years you have upper level support to guide you. That doesn't mean attendings can't *expect* you to function autonomously and make you feel like poo when you don't know the answer.

To be fair, I've been left on my own a number of times thus far during intern year. I had a night where we had two actively trying to die patients in the ICU, but one was boarding in a different ICU. My senior and I split up so that one of us was in the main ICU all night with one sick patient and 19 other critical ones and the other was camped out in the satellite ICU with the other sick patient. My senior was reachable most of the night, but not always and we were both super busy. Thus, a lot of the assessment of patients and plans were done by me - a 3rd month intern who hadn't been on the floors/ICU previously.

The pecking order starting at the top working down

Attending physician
Residents
Interns
Medical Students

Admitted patients are usually looked at by teams of these people. Each is teaching the level below allowing procedures to be performed and grading the individual. The number of patients covered by a resident depends on the demand of the rotation and the abilities in the area of coverage.

While all of those people see the patient eventually, it may be only the intern and a resident who see a patient on the day of admission. There were times where an admission came at 3 PM to our unit and the patient wasn't seen by an attending until 8:00 AM the next day. We managed the fist 18 hours of the patient's stay with usually only phone input from the fellow. There's a lot more autonomy at midnight than there is at noon.

The idea that you "can't" hurt someone as an intern because someone is always looking over your shoulder is a) denial and b) dangerous. I've made some bad calls - usually little things - but occasionally somewhat more dangeous. Probably the worst call you could make, though, is to not ask for help from your senior resident at a time when you should. Help is usually available, but only if you ask for it!

To be fair, I've been left on my own a number of times thus far during intern year. I had a night where we had two actively trying to die patients in the ICU, but one was boarding in a different ICU. My senior and I split up so that one of us was in the main ICU all night with one sick patient and 19 other critical ones and the other was camped out in the satellite ICU with the other sick patient. My senior was reachable most of the night, but not always and we were both super busy. Thus, a lot of the assessment of patients and plans were done by me - a 3rd month intern who hadn't been on the floors/ICU previously.

I wasn't saying interns are always shadowed by an upper level. I don't see how this is different than what I said.

Last edited:
Holy Crap! This is Children's about 30 minutes away from me. I always hear about how they're a world-renowned hospital. Guess so if MSNBC is doin stuff on em.

I wouldn't gauge it by the journalism standards of MSNBC. They may be near the top, but one thing I've learned is that media tends to be kind of clueless about that stuff.

Holy Crap! This is Children's about 30 minutes away from me. I always hear about how they're a world-renowned hospital. Guess so if MSNBC is doin stuff on em.

To be fair, they say at the end that they chose Children's because of how accommodating the hospital was when they were filming a delivery for another show. Says more about Children's good sense when it comes to free publicity than it does about their quality. Not to say they aren't a high quality institution...