A day in the life of a psych resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr1216

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm only a 2nd year student right now, but psych is one of the specialties that I'm really interested in.
I just want to get an idea of how life is as a psych resident. I know that there are different types of programs and all of you may be in different levels of your career. So, if you could just share: the type of program you're in (community, academic/research or if there is a focus on certain modalities like psychopharm/therapy,etc), what level you're at (PGY1, 2, attending, etc), and what an average day is like for you (types of patients, hours, volunteering, free time, etc). Thanks in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a PGY-3 in a large urban academic program in the Northeast. Per week, I spend 1.5 days in a low-fee outpatient clinic, providing medications and psychotherapy to primarily mood and anxiety disorder patients; 1/2 day in a community mental health clinic, treating mostly patients with severe and persistent mental illnesses (e.g. schizophrenia, bipolar); I have a couple of long-term psychotherapy cases I see twice a week; I have a child case I see once per week; I spend one day doing research; I spend about 1/2 day total in supervision; and 1/2 day total in class. I get to work at around 8 am and am done by 5 or 6 every day. I spend a total of one month of nights and 8 weekend days over the year working in the emergency room. It's quite manageable.