SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

A Decent Health Insurance during School

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by redwings54, May 6, 2007.

1. redwings54

redwings54 10+ Year Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent medical insurance? I am a single guy, 24 years old, non smoker, but I do take some meds each month. Nothing major but having a prescription plan would be necessary. The two options I have been looking at have been SOMA and AMSA. Anyone have any experience with either? Or know of anything better? Thanks.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned Banned 10+ Year Member

Feb 4, 2000
    I suggest waiting to see what your school offers.

4. scpod

scpod Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Oct 13, 2005
    Ditto. Our school has a darned good plan. Yours might too.

5. roselee16

roselee16

Dec 5, 2006
    I have a SOMA plan. I have some prescriptions each month as well, and it works for me. Our school has a good plan, but the SOMA one was much cheaper and covers what I need.

6. redwings54

redwings54 10+ Year Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Mind if I ask what plan on SOMA you went with? I was thinking that Plan 1 would be sufficient since I dont usually get sick and really all I would be needing would be the meds. Knock on wood.

As far as the school insurance, its $2660 a year and it is supposed to suck. From my understanding, AMSA is terrible and denies a lot of claims. So I am leaning towards the SOMA plan.

Anyone else have any advice? Thanks to those who have responded already.

7. JohnUC33

JohnUC33 A Stinkin Conservative 7+ Year Member

Apr 20, 2005
    TN

I use SOMA and don't have a complaint yet. I've not had anything major happen, but I've been to the doctor several times for minor illnesses this year. Our school has a fund to pick up what the student's insurance doesn't cover if we go to the clinic associated with the school. Might want to see if your school has something like that before deciding on an expensive plan

8. roselee16

roselee16

Dec 5, 2006
    I have Plan 2. I went with that one because I was concerned that Plan 1 might not give enough coverage and the second was still way cheaper than the school's plan.