A determined couple succeeds!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KyGrlDr2B

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My boyfriend and I attend undergrad schools 2 hours apart and have been dating for 2 years. We were just accepted to the SAME MEDICAL SCHOOL!! :D :D :D WOO HOO

To all the people who discouraged us and the guy I TA with who sneered "good luck" when I explained we wanted to go to the same school, WE DID IT. :D

We rule!

Members don't see this ad.

Hell yeah, we did it honey. I told you that if we wanted it bad enough it would happen. Finally, our long distance relationship will come an end. On to our NEW same state, same city, same area code and same school relationship. Love ya', babe.
:D

Let me be the first to congratulate you! I'm glad to hear that things have worked out well for you both and wish you the best of luck in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks,paisley1. :D

Congratulations to both of you! That is awesome! BTW, what school?

:)

pendulum: University of Kentucky

Thanks for all the congratulations guys! :cool:

That's fantastic...congratulations, you two! What a wonderful turn of events! :D

Hmmm...think there's any chance that my boyfriend might be accepted to the same medical school as me? (Granted, he's already working in finance, and hasn't even considered med...but we have a few months until final letters come out, you never know. ;) :D )

At the school we were both accepted at, one of my interviewers asked what my boyfriend did and I said he was applying too. She didn't ask anything else though. However, at a different school, my interviewer asked me if I was going to choose my school based on where my boyfriend went. I was afraid this would hurt my chances because he was accepted at a different school and he goes there for undergrad too. So I said I wouldn't pick one based on him. I was trying to show maturity and I hoped they picked up on that.

But if we strongly disagreed about where we wanted to go, I wouldn't go with him just to be going there. I'd pick my own school. Luckily in our case, we wanted the same place. :)

I hope this has helped, accept_me.

KYGirlDr2B-

I know how excited you are! I got many dirty and skeptical looks when I held off applying med school for a year b/c my boyfriend was applying to law schools our senior year. He's now a 1L at a top 10 law school and I waited a year so that I could get into a school in the same city. Luckily, I've had interviews in the same city and other cities where we'll one day want to settle down. Things do work out and fortunately when I have been asked about why I applied to a certain school, most interviewers have been receptive that I took a year off for both academic and personal reasons. Some have even expressed my maturity not so much that I want to be in the same city as my boyfriend but that we're trying the LD thing now and knowing that it works.

First of all, congrats Ky and Nasty, I know what a great feeling it is to get into school together like that and I'm really happy for you. My girlfriend and I recently got a mutual acceptance to pritzker and we're so excited about it.

Acceptme and others, in my experience it is not a negative to tell schools about your relationship and even that it will influence your decision. At chicago we interviewed on the same day, but decided that unless it came up we wouldn't say anything (fearing it would be viewed negatively) unless it came up then we wouldn't hide anything. So in my gf's interview I came up in the conversation and the interviewer asked what I was doing, and when she found out I was there, interviewing on the same day, the interviewer insited on coming down to meet me. All three of us talked for like 10 minutes, she said things like "chicago is very supportive of relationships... we understand it's a natural part of life, and we want our med students to be happy and to be people, and this is a part of both." She said we should tell the dean and not feel like we need to hide anything, and, of course applications would have to be reviewed independently but that they vastly prefer being open about these things. So that was better than any response I could have imagined, and, in 4 weeks we both got in.

After that (before the acceptance though) we interviewed on the same day at Case Western and took 10 mins to talk to the dean about our relationship and he gave us the same line about "thanks for telling me, applications must be reviewed independently, but thanks for letting us know, a note will be put in each of your files." 3 weeks later we got mutual acceptances to case as well. I can say that it certainly isn't viewed as a negative, but I don't think that if one of us was underqualified that it would have brought the other one up.

At other interviews if it came up we would mention things, and all schools that one of us has said things to (duke, vandy, yale) have been receptive like chicago and case were, saying basically the same line, we'll add it to your file, thanks for being straight with us.

As far as if it helps or hurts, I think its tough to say. I think that one big thing in applying together is that it helps to be different types of candidates, especially if you're coming from the same undergrad school. In my case I'm more the science/reasearch/ems type of candidate, and she's more philosophy/artsy/public health type of candidate (how's that for broad stereotypes :) ). But people don't want to accept 2 of the same person, so if you're early in the process, try to differentiate your apps as much as possible. I think that it could help you a little in that a school knows if they take both of you they have a better chance of getting you both to matriculate. Conversly, if they don't want to take one, it could hurt the other cause they know they don't have a good chance of getting only one to matriculate. So whatever they do with the information, I would recommend to couples out there to be honest to schools (but it's not necessary to talk about it before interviews), but also be realistic, and make your list of schools places where you both have a good chance.

I'm happy to take other questions on this topic cause I know last year at this time I had a ton of them, good luck everyone and congrats again to KY and Nasty.

Thanks, coop. Best of luck with you and your partner as well :D .

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

IMHO, one word on mentioning the significant other in the interview - honesty. Granted, it is different for a dating couple versus married, but I told the absolute truth. I prepared for the questions, but didn't think I'd get asked (until my interviewer and I hit it off really well, so the interview was really like a get-to-know-you-chat session). She asked if I would consider starting school a year ahead of my husband. I said no, that I didn't want to drive a wedge between us. We work really well together and my marriage is too important to me. My interviewer really respected my answer (I had a backup plan, also, so I didn't sound like a pouty brat!).

I got accepted, and we're going back for his interview on the 29th!!

Congrats again! I looooove happy endings!!!! :D

OK u two, get a room.

congrats to both of you for getting into medical school. u are so lucky, you can share books, take notes for each other and NastyC5 can do all the cooking and cleaning. ;) :D

again, congrats. which med school?

C U in MD school, thanks for the support and I'd gladly help out my baby by cooking and cleaning. We got in to the University of Kentucky College of Medicine.

I only said I wouldn't base my decision solely on him for 2 reasons.
1. There are two schools in our state. I was at the one he hadn't been accepted at. My interviewers had spent the day telling me how better this school was than UK. I was worried that by hearing he was accepted to Uk, they'd assume I'd automatically go there so they wouldn't waste their time accepting me (or at least they'd waitlist me).
2. I can't stand wishy-washy whiny girls who base every decision in their lives on their current boyfriend (i.e. how to wear their hair, what to eat, what to watch on tv, etc.) I didn't want to come off as one of those girls. I wanted to appear as though I had thought it through. Therefore, I told them that if I hated the only school he was accepted at, I wouldn't go, because what if we broke up 3 months later and I was stuck somewhere I hated.

That said, tell the truth if you are comfortable. I was a little worried at that particular place, but at UK, had i been asked, I would have gladly told them that.

And C U in med school, OF COURSE Nasty c5 is gonna cook and clean for me...he already does ;)

I totally understand the desire not to want to tell the interviewer that you didn't decide "for a guy." That would definitely put you in the circular file at some schools! I think you can feel when it's okay to say that he or she will influence your decision. If I was at another school where my app resides, I probably would have kept my mouth shut.

Congrats again! I'm so happy for you both!!!!!!!!

Ky -

Nasty's "helping" you? I'd take offense at that! Cooking and cleaning are half of his job!

Cooking and cleaning aren't half his job--we won't be living together so I expect I'll clean my apartment myself. LOL.

Aside from a good friend getting accepted yesterday, that is the coolest thing I've heard all week. Congrats, you two. :) :)

Thanks for all the kind words!
:D

So...do I hear wedding bells in the future? Everyone likes a Hollywood ending!
Cheryl