A different Approach with a business degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markopolo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking a different approach than the traditional view, as I received my Bachelor's degree in business and then a Masters of Business Administration. I orginally thought I was going to pursue a career in the business field, however, I now have my heart set on becoming a dentist. I know this is a very different approach then the typical Chemistry or Biology degree aproach, but will this make my chances of getting in much more difficult for not having a science degree?

Members don't see this ad.

you can definitely get in. You need to take the pre-req courses through which you can PROVE yourself. Also, you will need one heck of a DAT+ essay.

My friend with a business degree got into UCSF :)

Good luck

you're fine. Just have a good GPA 3.5 at least. And a DAT above average >19

Members don't see this ad :)
You should be fine and perhaps in some cases better off than some of your classmates. Having a MBA means you are probably more mature than a lot of your classmates and prepared for the business side of your future practice. On important thing to consider is that being in business you probably didn't take a lot of science courses. Your first two years especially will be mostly science courses so make sure you have a good foundation with prerequisites and perhaps even a few extra science courses. There are many other business majors who go to dental school so you are not alone.