A different kind of prestudy thread- Online MedEd before starting rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FindMeOnTheLinks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the general mantra of SDN is DONT PRESTUDY, but this is a bit of a different scenario than how the question is usually asked. I took my step 1 at the beginning of May, and I don't start third year until June 12 (I guess we have a clerkship "orientation" week starting June 5, but I don't count that as really starting 3rd year). It feels great to be done with step 1, and I've enjoyed having some time off from school.

But I'm starting to worry about third year. I'm starting on IM. Ive looked into resources for third year clerkships, and saw that Online MedEd lectures are highly recommended for IM. Would it be beneficial to watch these lectures before starting third year? I feel like it would be a good overview/primer to think about topics in a more clinical/applied sense, and would at least help me look like less of an idiot the first few weeks, plus I would have already completed a 10,000 foot overview and could maybe use my time on Step Up instead of trying to get through OME for the first time. However, I do understand that it requires clinical context to really apply medical knowledge, so maybe these lectures would be a waste of time? Honestly I'm not dead set either way, and I probably would prefer to just avoid school stuff as long as I can. But if there is anybody out there who wishes they would have watched these lectures before starting third year, or vice versa somebody who did, and thinks it's a waste of time, any perspective you can share would be helpful! Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Would be quite useful. I would also grab pocket medicine to leaf through so you can know where to look up common problems. Also sign up for UpToDate and get the general format down.

It also wouldn't hurt to brush up on your hpi skills and knowing the presentation format very well.

Reactions: 1 users
I know the general mantra of SDN is DONT PRESTUDY, but this is a bit of a different scenario than how the question is usually asked. I took my step 1 at the beginning of May, and I don't start third year until June 12 (I guess we have a clerkship "orientation" week starting June 5, but I don't count that as really starting 3rd year). It feels great to be done with step 1, and I've enjoyed having some time off from school.

But I'm starting to worry about third year. I'm starting on IM. Ive looked into resources for third year clerkships, and saw that Online MedEd lectures are highly recommended for IM. Would it be beneficial to watch these lectures before starting third year? I feel like it would be a good overview/primer to think about topics in a more clinical/applied sense, and would at least help me look like less of an idiot the first few weeks, plus I would have already completed a 10,000 foot overview and could maybe use my time on Step Up instead of trying to get through OME for the first time. However, I do understand that it requires clinical context to really apply medical knowledge, so maybe these lectures would be a waste of time? Honestly I'm not dead set either way, and I probably would prefer to just avoid school stuff as long as I can. But if there is anybody out there who wishes they would have watched these lectures before starting third year, or vice versa somebody who did, and thinks it's a waste of time, any perspective you can share would be helpful! Thanks!!

If you're starting on IM, pre-watching OME for IM isn't a bad idea. I wouldn't watch all the OME videos, but spending 4-5 days before IM and knocking out a few areas you still feel weaker in wouldn't be a waste of time Imo. Don't spend too much time on it beforehand though. You're probably a little burnt out from boards, take the time you need to get fresh before you jump back into things.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For IM, his videos are great and you have a good background of the information already. Just a few quick vids here or there couldn't hurt. For other rotations, I recommend getting a quick read (usually Casefiles) and going over that to build some initial background knowledge before jumping into OME vids.

I know the general mantra of SDN is DONT PRESTUDY

I always thought this applied more to BEFORE entering medical school, and not so much when in school.

Nothing wrong with some OME before rotations. I found his videos very helpful and even bought a subscription for a while.

You've done the first two years of med school. You know med school. Clinicals are a new world, but the material isn't. It isn't the same situation as far as prestudying. I prestudy for rotations in residency. I think you get a lot more out of them having at least passing familiarity with the material. I did a dual degree so had a year off, I did all of OME audio during that time. I honored every rotation, and id give at least some credit to having done that. That said, you need to recuperate from step and be fresh for the grind of clinicals, so if you're going to prestudy a bit, definitely don't overdo it

Agree that some pre reading is a good idea, especially for a tougher rotation like medicine or surgery. OME videos were pretty limited when I was in your shoes but I think he does a fantastic job breaking things down into memorable pieces and helping you start thinking clinically.

Starting on some practice questions might also be a good idea. I got UWorld for CK to use all of third year and it was well worth it. They have upwards of 1300 IM questions in particular so especially useful. I suggest this less for learning material and more for reorienting your thinking toward clinical questions. They will look and sound like step 1 questions but are very different. You will need to get used to paying attention to different aspects of the stem you may have skimmed over just a few weeks ago.

A tip to help with practice questions as well as on the wards is always asking yourself this question: what is your diagnosis? Amazingly enough, this simple point gets skipped frequently and can lead you to gleefully pick the wrong answer on questions. Figure out the diagnosis. If you can't, then it's a next step question and you should have a short list in mind that your diagnostic test will help sort out. Both on tests and on rounds, students typically get caught up in the numbers and details without first considering the diagnosis itself. Force yourself to think this way when doing questions and it'll pay big dividends.

I would give this an SDN Grade B rating. Definitely useful to get through before rotations. The use of this increases as you progress through more clerkships. Another solid method is to get through an elementary non shelf book like Case Files:

First hits: case files or Online Med Es
Second hit: questions
Third hit: more questions

My one tip for IM is to not waste too much time with Step Up. At my school there wasn't major time to study even with time given and while I got through 1300 UW and annoyed them into Step Up, I felt I could have learnt and retained a whole lot more with something basic like OME and wish I'd have started earlier.

Any passerby's want to advise me on what to do with two random weeks I have off between my penultimate and my last rotation of surgery (I'm 2 months off cycle). Would it be wiser to treat is as two Step 2 CK study weeks (struggled with IM Shelf, going into IM) or try to really kill surgery by pre-reading?

Last edited:
I love OnlineMedEd-- I literally bought the tshirt--and I would definitely recommend it for studying for shelf exams. I'm also planning on using it (repeating it, mostly) for Step/Level 2.

Going to go against the grain though and recommend NOT using it in your two weeks off. I'm one of the people who loves third year, but it's still exhausting, and there's very few breaks. Take advantage of the time off while you have it. The rest will do you more good than pre-studying.

I second all the good stuff said about OME videos. They were clutch for me. Did well on the shelf with just those and several hundred Uworld questions. Also recommend Emma ramahi's uthscsa IM video for another broad overview. Just don't spend too much time on it. Enjoy your break while it lasts. Most IM rotations are rough in terms of hours spent physically in the hospital.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I just got my second book from OnlineMedEd in the mail today. I'd already bought the intern guide and now I have the Quicktables book. Both are absolute gold.

It isn't pre-study anymore. It is being prepared for your next phase of training. Don't go so hard that you burn yourself out... but with resources that are so enjoyable and informative, there is no reason not to get yourself up to speed before you are put on the spot.