"A difficult situation" Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Uegis

1 Down 3 To Go
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm doing the UCD secondary and they ask me to describe a difficult situation in my life or academic experience and how it will make me a better physician.

I want to write about coping with the death of my grandmother. Her passing had a very profound influence on my decision to go into medicine.

BUT i devoted two paragraphs to this topic in my AMCAS PS, but talking about non-specific stuff like how her death led me to explore medicine etc. So my PS didn't really talk about how I coped with it and how it will make me a better doctor.

Do you think its okay for me to write about that again in my secondary?

Members don't see this ad.

i think it's okay uegis because it would only stress to them what was really important in your life. they have so many questions that it won't feel like you're really repeating it with all of the other stuff they have to read. btw, i also wrote about the death of my grandmother for the same question on another secondary... how weird!

constructor said:
i think it's okay uegis because it would only stress to them what was really important in your life. they have so many questions that it won't feel like you're really repeating it with all of the other stuff they have to read. btw, i also wrote about the death of my grandmother for the same question on another secondary... how weird!

what if your whole PS was basically on that; does it mean you can't use it to show something as the OP mentioned? wha tif it did have a profound effect on your decision to become a doctor and also your ability to bean effective, compassionate doctor?

Members don't see this ad :)
Psycho Doctor said:
what if your whole PS was basically on that; does it mean you can't use it to show something as the OP mentioned? wha tif it did have a profound effect on your decision to become a doctor and also your ability to bean effective, compassionate doctor?

Maybe a 1/4 of my PS was on that. I feel that the topic is very important to me, but I am just afraid that they will think I am lazy or get bored at reading it all the time.

i think with 1/4 on it, it is prefectly fine. however mine was almost 100% on the topic. I'd find it hard not to mention it in an overcoming adversity essay b/c it certainly had the most profound effect on my life than anything else...nothing else comes even close