General A dilemma, Is it going to be too late? Canadian Applying to US MD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Thanks a lot in advance for your reply. As the title says I am a Canadian who is going to apply to MD this upcoming cycle. I am going to write my second MCAT by the end of summer. I was planning to submit my primary in two weeks and then start working on the secondaries. However, I know that US MD works on a rolling admission basis.
And I have heard that If they start looking at my completed application later than august my chances are going to be slim. I was wondering based on these premises should I try to write the MCAT early August or can I push it to late August. How worse are gonna be my chances by if they were to receive my second MCAT result early September or early October?

My cGPA: 3.85
first MCAT: 124,128,126,126

Thanks again for your responses.
If your verified application and (much higher) MCAT score are received by MD schools in early September, your odds will still be decent, especially if your turn-around time on Secondaries is a few days, assuming strong ECs and LORs. If your MCAT score doesn't change much, then I'd say that "slim" would fit. A month later for either scenario, and I would characterize your odds as dismal.

Members don't see this ad.

My cGPA: 3.85
first MCAT: 124,128,126,126
[second near end of summer]

You haven't listed the schools you are applying to in the US, but I will also ask why you would be looking to the US instead of (or maybe in addition to) Canadian schools.

As for chances being "slim", you have to remember that medical schools' rolling admissions timeline has offers being extended as early as October and then rolling on. So if you have a September MCAT, when do you think your file will be reviewed and you will be invited for an interview? Chances are slimmer compared to early submission but that's because there are more interview spots available, plus some of the best metric-performance applicants will all apply early too. That said, most students for medical school will bank multiple acceptances until prompted later to narrow their choices in the spring (because you can't go to more than one medical school at the same time, thank goodness). Interviewing still occurs in the spring semester because admissions offices have to anticipate a good proportion of applicants holding a seat will drop.

All I can say is you may get an interview, but it would likely take at least a month to get back to you to schedule an interview. This takes you out to October/November, and by that point any available interview spots will likely be in the spring. You take your chances.

I will be applying to most canadian schools. I though I would also try to apply to some US schools both for gaining experience and also having a bit more chance.
US schools I have in mind are the most canadian friendly schools. I have to choose about 10. the ones with admission metrics below mine.
Any suggestion on schools?
You're fine right now for the 14 or so DO schools that take Canadians

Status
Not open for further replies.