A DO should I report my USMLE scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dkwyler94

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of applying to IM residencies. As I plan on doing an eventual fellowship, I am only applying to MD University based programs. I have gotten good interview offers at well solid programs.

My step I COMLEX was weak. Somewhere around 35%-tile.
I failed to take the USMLE I as I didn't realize how much I would limit myself by not doing so-and of course it isn't required for DOs.
I have good letters and honored in most of my rotations.
As I DO, I of course am not a member of the AOA (DO schools don't participate in it).

So, here is the root of my question.
I got in the 65% on COMLEX II
I took the USMLE and scored a 200 (probably around 35%).

Should I report this USMLE score, or just hide it and let the 65% carry its own?

My thought is that a 200 for IM is not good or bad and would be just shrugged off. A 65%-tile score might look good and help out.
Thanks
(Oh, if anyone out there is on my eventual interview committe and I don't report my score-that is a typo. I meant 95% and 260 :)

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you did equally well/bad on your COMLEX I and Step 1. I don't think it will make much of a difference either way, except for the programs that require it. I generally don't believe in hiding anything but if you improved in COMLEX II perhaps you can try taking step 2 and have scores ready for interviews?

Good luck with everything.

Peter

dkwyler94 said:
I am in the process of applying to IM residencies. As I plan on doing an eventual fellowship, I am only applying to MD University based programs. I have gotten good interview offers at well solid programs.

My step I COMLEX was weak. Somewhere around 35%-tile.
I failed to take the USMLE I as I didn't realize how much I would limit myself by not doing so-and of course it isn't required for DOs.
I have good letters and honored in most of my rotations.
As I DO, I of course am not a member of the AOA (DO schools don't participate in it).

So, here is the root of my question.
I got in the 65% on COMLEX II
I took the USMLE and scored a 200 (probably around 35%).

Should I report this USMLE score, or just hide it and let the 65% carry its own?

My thought is that a 200 for IM is not good or bad and would be just shrugged off. A 65%-tile score might look good and help out.
Thanks
(Oh, if anyone out there is on my eventual interview committe and I don't report my score-that is a typo. I meant 95% and 260 :)

PeterY said:
It sounds like you did equally well/bad on your COMLEX I and Step 1. I don't think it will make much of a difference either way, except for the programs that require it. I generally don't believe in hiding anything but if you improved in COMLEX II perhaps you can try taking step 2 and have scores ready for interviews?

Good luck with everything.

Peter
Thanks. Again though here is how I did.
COMLEX I (35%-tile)
USMLE I (did not take)
COMELX II (65%-tile)
USMLE II (200 ??35%-tile or so)

Because I didn't take the USMLE I, I am not a candidate for a large number of programs that require the USMLE, kicking myself for not doing it, but can't change that now.