A doctor is a doctor, right?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SushiCupcake

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My stepfather is an MD and he really thinks I should get an MD degree too. For the most part, I've been heeding his advice. In his words, if I get a DO degree I'll always live with a "chip on my shoulder." That I'll always be a little looked down upon.

Even so, I've done my research. I understand that DOs may have a tougher time competing for more competitive specialties but that doesn't mean they are completely unable to get them. And I understand that I'll probably have to jump through more hoops (i.e. taking two different kind of board exams). But, after meeting osteopathic medical students and hearing from some physicians that "they've met great DOs in the field who do just as great a job and sometimes even better in their respective fields" it really doesn't seem like there is all that much difference. A doctor is a doctor, right?

This current cycle I've gotten 5MD interviews (currently on 4 of their wait lists and have yet to hear back from one post interview) and 1DO interview. I scheduled the DO interview for next month (the latest date I possibly could) so that if I don't get accepted MD I sort of have my backup. I really have nothing against DO schools but my stepfather really seems to think I should do MD. My stepfather doesn't even think I should really go to that interview and that I should reapply next year rather than going DO.

I feel a little guilty. I like the DO school that I'm interviewing at (will probably know more about how much I like it after interviewing) but if it comes down to it, and this is the only school I get accepted to, will I go? I'm just not sure. I want to go but I feel like I'm disappointing my stepfather, so maybe I shouldn't.

I think the guilt stems from holding the interview spot and not being completely sure that I will want to go there. There are probably lots of people who would want that spot so maybe I should just give up the spot to someone who wants it more? I like the school, I really just want to be a doctor and don't mind if it's DO but at the same time I don't want to disappoint my stepfather.

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you are SURE you want to do primary care, I think you should try for the MD. It's worth an extra year if you have to reapply. I have friends who went the DO route, and regret it now that they are trying to match into competitive specialties.

Reactions: 5 users
If you are on four waitlists, chances are good that you will ultimately land at least one acceptance. If not, then go to the DO school. A very small percentage of MDs may look down on you, but the vast majority will not.

One caveat: if you want to do a very competitive specialty, such as dermatology or radiology, it might be wise to reapply to MD schools next cycle.

Good luck.

-Bill

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My stepfather is an MD and he really thinks I should get an MD degree too. For the most part, I've been heeding his advice. In his words, if I get a DO degree I'll always live with a "chip on my shoulder." That I'll always be a little looked down upon.

Even so, I've done my research. I understand that DOs may have a tougher time competing for more competitive specialties but that doesn't mean they are completely unable to get them. And I understand that I'll probably have to jump through more hoops (i.e. taking two different kind of board exams). But, after meeting osteopathic medical students and hearing from some physicians that "they've met great DOs in the field who do just as great a job and sometimes even better in their respective fields" it really doesn't seem like there is all that much difference. A doctor is a doctor, right?

This current cycle I've gotten 5MD interviews (currently on 4 of their wait lists and have yet to hear back from one post interview) and 1DO interview. I scheduled the DO interview for next month (the latest date I possibly could) so that if I don't get accepted MD I sort of have my backup. I really have nothing against DO schools but my stepfather really seems to think I should do MD. My stepfather doesn't even think I should really go to that interview and that I should reapply next year rather than going DO.

I feel a little guilty. I like the DO school that I'm interviewing at (will probably know more about how much I like it after interviewing) but if it comes down to it, and this is the only school I get accepted to, will I go? I'm just not sure. I want to go but I feel like I'm disappointing my stepfather, so maybe I shouldn't.

I think the guilt stems from holding the interview spot and not being completely sure that I will want to go there. There are probably lots of people who would want that spot so maybe I should just give up the spot to someone who wants it more? I like the school, I really just want to be a doctor and don't mind if it's DO but at the same time I don't want to disappoint my stepfather.
Do you really want to live your life to please others? If YOU would be happy with that school, then GO. You seem to know that a doctor is a doctor. Word of advice- if you get into the DO school only and decide not to attend... well let's just say don't do that.

Reactions: 8 users
Life is too precious to live for pleasing someone.

Reactions: 13 users
Hm, you said:

I wonder who's going to look down on DOs:
I really just want to be a doctor and don't mind if it's DO but at the same time I don't want to disappoint my stepfather

Well, it appears the real issue here is you're afraid your stepfather will look down on you as a DO.

My advice, learn to be your own person. What happens when he doesn't agree with your specialty when it's not doctorish enough?

You stepfather may be a good man, but many great man have uttered incredibly stupid things.

I say be your own man/woman. Be a DO or an MD, it doesn't really matter, because it'll all be in your head anyways, but you'll have to live with that voice.

Reactions: 7 users
Thank you all for your comments and advice. Truly, I'm not sure yet what I want to specialize in- I wish I did because it would probably make this decision much easier…

While there maybe some gap in competitive specialties, overall in most, the match rates are nearly equal. And now that MD and DO will be using one combined residency system going forward (they just signed an agreement finally), it will likely lead to less spread.

When you actually go to practice medicine, most fellow docs dont really care where you went to medical school; then tend to compare more on where you did residency

This is really interesting! When does this system go into effect? For the next graduating class?

This has been in works for several years and was supposed to have happened 2 years ago. I think this will be in effect for class of 2015, or at least start.

http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-a...e-medical-education-accreditation-system.aspx
There is absolutely no reason to think that this will reduce DO stigma in terms of getting what were traditionally MD residencies, especially by 2018 when this applicant will (hopefully!) match. It only means that people who match to what were formerly DO residencies will not be barred (which many currently are by various residency review committees's standards) from matching to what were formerly MD fellowships.

Having said that, the idea of whether you should let your parent's perception of what you should be doing affect your choices is an entirely separate matter. Is your stepfather going to help with med school costs? My parents had all sorts of ideas about what I should be doing, but ultimately since I paid for med school I made it clear it was my decision and I did what's best for me.

DO match rates may be equal to MD but particularly for primary care. It's not equal in other specialties and you don't take into account people that end up picking family medicine or internal medicine only because they know with their stats combined with their DO they will have a tough time matching into what they really wanted to do.

Ask him if he has a chip on his shoulder for being your mom's consolation prize.

Anyway, I'm going to be a DO and have no chip on my shoulder. I look forward to the day I put my education on the line to school an ignorant MD. Who knows. Maybe it's just easier for me to be DO because I'm a minority and already deal with that like it's nothing.

Reactions: 7 users
Word of advice- if you get into the DO school only and decide not to attend... well let's just say don't do that.

Your last sentence does concern me a bit. So say I went to the interview, discovered that I didn't really like the school, but it was the only school I got accepted to, and I decided to reapply rather than attend. Then, other schools I would be applying to would look at that unfavorably? MD granting schools can see that I got accepted to a DO school and decided to not attend?

Your last sentence does concern me a bit. So say I went to the interview, discovered that I didn't really like the school, but it was the only school I got accepted to, and I decided to reapply rather than attend. Then, other schools I would be applying to would look at that unfavorably? MD granting schools can see that I got accepted to a DO school and decided to not attend?
MD schools cannot see that you applied to DO schools and vice versa. You probably would not have to tell them you got accepted into a DO school. But there's no point in going to interview somewhere if you would not attend if accepted--decide if you'd be interested in getting a DO (not necessarily whether or not you would be interested in this parciular DO school) before going.

That hypothetical may be a case of being ungrateful for what you get. Maybe the school would grow on you. Perhaps you would get some kind of really cool opportunity there you would have missed out on if you hadn't attended. I would take it in a second. Your step dad won't live your life for you.

The only neurological surgeon in my town is a DO. I know of a head professor of radiology at an MD school who is a DO. The PM&R chair at Harvard is a DO. It's up to you to make something of the tools given to you.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I cant tell you what to do. No one can. But I can given you my perspective:

I am in almost exactly the same position as you. I was fortunate enough to get 5 MD interviews. One of the schools have officially waitlisted me while the others I have not heard anything from for a long time (since September for one). I am sure out of those 5, I will be WL for at least 4 if not all 5. There is also a good chance that I might be accepted to one of the 4 I haven't heard from sometime this month.

Aside from applying to MD, I also applied to 3 DO schools. I received interviews at all three. I attended two of these interviews and have been accepted to my top choice DO school. Its my top choice because its the "best" do school I applied to with great history and is 30 mins from home.

At this point, I am planning on attending the DO school I have been accepted to. If I were to be accepted to one of the MD schools, I am sure I would pick those over the DO school. This is not because I somehow think less of DO. It is because i know that I will have an easier time with residency match. I am not planning on matching into ROAD residencies. However, I do think I would like to do something semi-competitive. I know that I can still get into those residencies as a DO but there is no doubt that it will be relatively more difficult.

Things you have to keep in mind: Can you guarantee that you will be accepted to MD program if you apply again? Will your application be significantly different if you were to reapply in a few months? You actually haven't been accepted to any school yet, so what makes you think that the DO school will actually accept you? Lets say you did get accepted to the DO school and decided to reapply, do you honestly think that particular school would accept you again? Or any other DO school when they find out you didnt accept and acceptance before? What residency are you actually interested in (top, mid, low level). How much harder is it going to be to get accepted to that level of residency as a DO? Is it worth giving up on one year of physician's salary to reapply?

I think answering each of these questions honestly to yourself (maybe make a MD/DO table) will give you your answer.

This attitude is typical for MDs and ignorant pre-meds. Ask any DO and they'll tell you they're treated as equals by their clinical colleagues and definitely by their patients.

Correct

Never mind what your step-father wants...what do YOU want? If you're going into medicine to please him, you're going to hate this career in time.

I'm just not sure. I want to go but I feel like I'm disappointing my stepfather, so maybe I shouldn't.

Reactions: 2 users
Dr. Roger Smith, DO
Dr. Roger Smith, MD

Most patients are glad the Doctor is here to see them and get treated. Who cares what the last two initials stand for? Did you see a patient? Did they get treated? Have they been released? Are you both Physicians? (see some similarities here?)

I've never once heard a patient say: "If only I'd been seen my an MD than a DO I wouldn't be stricken with this deadly disease"

My best advice: Study the two kinds of medical training and choose what's right for you....regardless of that others think...it's YOUR career.

My cousin is an anaesthesiologist DO, her husband is a gastroenterologist DO. It might be an uphill struggle, but there are no glass ceilings for DOs. If your choice is between starting at a DO school or reapplying, I would start. That said, I'm biased because I'm a reapplicant already, and I can't imagine going through this process again.

My cousin is an anaesthesiologist DO, her husband is a gastroenterologist DO. It might be an uphill struggle, but there are no glass ceilings for DOs. If your choice is between starting at a DO school or reapplying, I would start. That said, I'm biased because I'm a reapplicant already, and I can't imagine going through this process again.
Anesthesia is actually pretty DO friendly. And although anesthesia is a high paying ROAD specialty, it's actually not that competitive--it has the same step score averages as internal medicine.

Anesthesia is actually pretty DO friendly. And although anesthesia is a high paying ROAD specialty, it's actually not that competitive--it has the same step score averages as internal medicine.

This is very good to know, thank you! Is there a particular resource that discusses DO step scores and their match possibilities? That would be very very helpful!

This is very good to know, thank you! Is there a particular resource that discusses DO step scores and their match possibilities? That would be very very helpful!
Who knows what it will be like by the time we start applying for residencies? Same thing for med school admissions. I've been told I'd be all set for DO, but who knows how competitive it will be in 2 years when I apply? Still good to see that DOs have great opportunities. With time it should get even better.

Indeed, I think a lot of people have addressed the "a doctor is a doctor" bit, and I suspect OP recognizes -- despite whatever stepdad says -- that both MDs and DOs have the same trainng and skills.

It seems that OP is more interested to know if he's going to disadvantage himself in the 2018 Match by going DO.

Reactions: 2 users
The best resource would probably be best got from senior osteopathic medical students (not pre-osteo or preclinical people). But if you promise not to totally freak out :) you can look at this document http://b83c73bcf0e7ca356c80-e8560f4...tent/uploads/2013/08/chartingoutcomes2011.pdf it's supposed to be published every 2 years as a collaboration between allopathic med schools and the allopathic match but lately there have been bureaucratic issues so they haven't published since 2011. They list different characteristics of successful people for different residencies. Independent applicants are anyone who is not a US MD 4th year (so US MDs who already graduated, USIMG, FMG, and DO) and there is specific information on characteristics of successful and unsuccessful applicants in this group. However DO schools do not participate in the making of this document, so DO students Step 1 scores are not availabe in these graphs although other DO characteristics are contributing to the rest of the data.

Last edited:
One thing is for sure. If you're not going to go to the DO school, then definitely don't go to the interview. You might be in the same situation next year and you'd still want that DO option available, which would essentially be shut if you got accepted this cycle and didn't matriculate. I think you have a decent change of getting off the wait list this cycle so it seems your best option would not to go the DO interview. I mean, if you're on the fence about it, don't do it.

If you *really* don't like the school, you can withdraw your application from consideration just as if you received an acceptance somewhere else. However, I would not expect to get an interview there again if you reapply next year.

The best resource would probably be best got from senior osteopathic medical students (not pre-osteo or preclinical people). But if you promise not to totally freak out :) you can look at this document http://b83c73bcf0e7ca356c80-e8560f4...tent/uploads/2013/08/chartingoutcomes2011.pdf it's supposed to be published every 2 years as a collaboration between allopathic med schools and the allopathic match but lately there have been bureaucratic issues so they haven't published since 2011. They list different characteristics of successful people for different residencies. Independent applicants are anyone who is not a US MD 4th year (so US MDs who already graduated, USIMG, FMG, and DO) and there is specific information on characteristics of successful and unsuccessful applicants in this group. However DO schools do not participate in the making of this document, so DO students Step 1 scores are not availabe in these graphs although other DO characteristics are contributing to the rest of the data.

Thanks for the link! This info is really interesting

Also, some schools will definitely hold it against you if you apply DO, get in, and then choose not to attend. Most secondaries, as I'm sure you're aware, ask if you have applied and/or been accepted to a medical school before. Answering yes to both raises red flags ..

Also, some schools will definitely hold it against you if you apply DO, get in, and then choose not to attend. Most secondaries, as I'm sure you're aware, ask if you have applied and/or been accepted to a medical school before. Answering yes to both raises red flags ..
Yes. They obviously don't want people using them as a last resort or a throwaway once you get in somewhere you think is better.

This attitude is typical for MDs and ignorant pre-meds. Ask any DO and they'll tell you they're treated as equals by their clinical colleagues and definitely by their patients.

Correct

Never mind what your step-father wants...what do YOU want? If you're going into medicine to please him, you're going to hate this career in time.

I'm just not sure. I want to go but I feel like I'm disappointing my stepfather, so maybe I shouldn't.

Goro,

Does this depend on the region? I'm in Boston where it's almost all MDs, but I like some DO school's mission statements A LOT.

I cant tell you what to do. No one can. But I can given you my perspective:

I am in almost exactly the same position as you. I was fortunate enough to get 5 MD interviews. One of the schools have officially waitlisted me while the others I have not heard anything from for a long time (since September for one). I am sure out of those 5, I will be WL for at least 4 if not all 5. There is also a good chance that I might be accepted to one of the 4 I haven't heard from sometime this month.

Aside from applying to MD, I also applied to 3 DO schools. I received interviews at all three. I attended two of these interviews and have been accepted to my top choice DO school. Its my top choice because its the "best" do school I applied to with great history and is 30 mins from home.

At this point, I am planning on attending the DO school I have been accepted to. If I were to be accepted to one of the MD schools, I am sure I would pick those over the DO school. This is not because I somehow think less of DO. It is because i know that I will have an easier time with residency match. I am not planning on matching into ROAD residencies. However, I do think I would like to do something semi-competitive. I know that I can still get into those residencies as a DO but there is no doubt that it will be relatively more difficult.

Things you have to keep in mind: Can you guarantee that you will be accepted to MD program if you apply again? Will your application be significantly different if you were to reapply in a few months? You actually haven't been accepted to any school yet, so what makes you think that the DO school will actually accept you? Lets say you did get accepted to the DO school and decided to reapply, do you honestly think that particular school would accept you again? Or any other DO school when they find out you didnt accept and acceptance before? What residency are you actually interested in (top, mid, low level). How much harder is it going to be to get accepted to that level of residency as a DO? Is it worth giving up on one year of physician's salary to reapply?

I think answering each of these questions honestly to yourself (maybe make a MD/DO table) will give you your answer.

Your points are generally great but I think the DO/MD debate is rehashed repeatedly because of the bolded questions above. The opportunity cost of being a DO is going to decline to non-existent, I believe. As it stands though, very, very few people come into medical school and have any clue of what they want to do for residency, much less the competitiveness of said residency.

That's why MD programs remain more attractive as a student, especially a younger one with less life experience. All doors remain open with less effort, whether you want to do bread-and-butter-pediatrics or dermopathology (two of my interests that are clearly at different ends of the spectrum, for example). There's more time for exploration and indecision. There's also a bit more forgiveness for mistakes with an MD program. With DO programs, you have to acknowledge that all doors remain open but you're going to have to hit the ground running to keep them open. Aside from having a cushier experience as an MD trainee, I really don't see why anyone would turn down a DO school. In practice and this real world that exists off of SDN, MD's and DO's get the same respect.

I'll be at an allopathic medical school next year but as I keep moving forward, you can bet I'll see the best doctor in any specialty as needed regardless of the initials behind their name. I think the DO bias is rapidly eroding and will have eroded by the time people of our generation have taken over the bulk of medical practice. Don't listen to your stepdad. Go to DO school.

Last edited:
Goro,

Does this depend on the region? I'm in Boston where it's almost all MDs, but I like some DO school's mission statements A LOT.
Don't know about the bias but the presence of DOs definitely seems regional. A lot more in California than in Boston.

Academia will always have bias about all kinds of things, one of which is school prestige. Ultimately I would not focus on "mission statements" in choosing a school. I would choose a school in a location I could tolerate whose structure and administration would not get in the way of my success, regardless of whatever field I chose to pursue, and that fostered a supportive environment that would increase the chance of excellence.

A medical doctor is a medical doctor. But not all doctors are medical doctors.

In Europe, right? Sort of like their chiropractors.

Not sure how it goes down in Europe, but here in America the whole DO = Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine is odd because it isn't a DOM it is a DO, meaning it should also stand for "Doctor of Osteopathy"

Not sure how it goes down in Europe, but here in America the whole DO = Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine is odd because it isn't a DOM it is a DO, meaning it should also stand for "Doctor of Osteopathy"
It was Doctor of Osteopathy at one time. Even though they used to share a name with their European counterparts, they have always been the same as MDs in terms of their work. They changed the name to "Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine" after a while in order to better describe what they do. Degree acronyms can be weird; DMD==> Doctor of Dental Medicine OD==> Doctor of Optometry.

Last edited by a moderator:
...lol
M.D. is for Medicinae Doctor which is Latin. It's not reversed

Some doctors are doctors of osteopathy.

Diplomat of Osteopathy in foreign countries, they are not doctors (even in the PhD, DC, OD sense of the term).

Yeah, in 130 yr old hindsight, not the best scrambling of initials.

Goro,

I've seen DOs at Brigham and Women's Hospital doing fellowships. While I can't speak to how easy those fellowships are to get, I can definitely say that they're treated with the same respect that MDs are.

Ask him if he has a chip on his shoulder for being your mom's consolation prize.

Anyway, I'm going to be a DO and have no chip on my shoulder. I look forward to the day I put my education on the line to school an ignorant MD. Who knows. Maybe it's just easier for me to be DO because I'm a minority and already deal with that like it's nothing.
I'm sorry but this sounds *exactly* like having a chip on your shoulder. (Not to mention, your first sentence made me cringe.)

I work at a major academic medical center and see plenty of people in many different specialties - residents and attendings - with DOs after their names. MDs and DOs work side by side and respect each other here (at least, I sincerely hope none of the DOs that work here look for a chance to school ignorant MDs.)

I'm sorry but this sounds *exactly* like having a chip on your shoulder. (Not to mention, your first sentence made me cringe.)

I work at a major academic medical center and see plenty of people in many different specialties - residents and attendings - with DOs after their names. MDs and DOs work side by side and respect each other here (at least, I sincerely hope none of the DOs that work here look for a chance to school ignorant MDs.)

Exactly. I've never seen people introduce themselves as "Dr. So-and-so, MD" or "Dr So-and-so, DO." Everyone is addressed the same and treated the same. As discussed earlier, the disadvantages come during the training phase and those can be overcome. In practice, there are none.

Exactly. I've never seen people introduce themselves as "Dr. So-and-so, MD" or "Dr So-and-so, DO." Everyone is addressed the same and treated the same. As discussed earlier, the disadvantages come during the training phase and those can be overcome. In practice, there are none.

That is not entirely true.

There is no disadvantage in terms of one's daily experience as a physician. However, many DOs in private practice do get asked about their title fairly often. It shouldn't be a major issue, but it is something future DOs should be prepared for.

-Bill

That is not entirely true.

There is no disadvantage in terms of one's daily experience as a physician. However, many DOs in private practice do get asked about their title fairly often. It shouldn't be a major issue, but it is something future DOs should be prepared for.

-Bill

Sure, that's annoying. Not even worth bringing up though as a drawback to being a doctor vs. potentially not being a doctor because of the initials behind your name.

I don't know how that sounds like having a chip on their shoulder. It's like saying being black inherently makes you have a chip on your shoulder if you respond to a racist. I'm talking about reaction to someone attacking your degree, not about actively finding confrontation.

My own perspective is that DO and MD schools both provide similar education/experience and each produce great doctors in similar ratios to not so great doctors. This is exactly why I see even more reason to do allopathic med school if afforded that choice.

My rational is that if I am required to put in equal work to obtain both degrees, why would I pursue a DO degree and risk possible stigmas (regardless how small/insignificant) when a MD degree has no such recourse?

There are some circumstances I can understand that would make an individual choose the DO route that doesn't relate to stats but I do believe it is worth a little extra work/time as a premed to attain a degree title that follows you to your grave.

YOLO be a DO.

YOLO be a DO.
SDN: T-Shirt Quote Central.

Really though, no shame in being a DO. Some people even prefer it, and with the way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if you see more people going DO. Unless your heart is set on research, you'd be foolish to turn down a DO acceptance.

SDN: T-Shirt Quote Central.

Really though, no shame in being a DO. Some people even prefer it, and with the way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if you see more people going DO. Unless your heart is set on research, you'd be foolish to turn down a DO acceptance.

I wish DOs were more competitive. I really wanted to be a DO, but I wanted to be competitive more. I'm sort of jealous of people going to DO schools. The grass is always greener, I suppose.