A Dr. the first day of school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The only time I've heard any of the first-years called "Doctor" was when one of the teachers for our "intro to dental practice" class, who is a hygienist, yelled out, "Doctors!" before our final; but, that was just to get our attention so we'd shut up. :thumbup: Besides that, I don't think so.

Members don't see this ad.

mvs04 said:
well, temple and uop = pretentious *****s.
UoP calls you a student doctor, not a doctor, I believe this is appropriate since it is the truth. we are students on our way to becoming doctors. whats the big deal?

donlee1231 said:
it is not true.
we are called by student doctor.
He might be a resident in perio or something else

Please clear that out

d ? i have never heard poeple saying d....

um. it was true, i was there ;)
nothing to clear up, other than i am not talking about all of temple's clinic, just the specific student that seemed to be on a huge ego trip.

and youre right, he didnt say D3, he said 3rd year.

That's the first time I've ever heard anyone want to be called doctor that hasn't graduated yet!

same here! it was really odd.

late
rick

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, this thread has featured a lot of interesting comments... It is interesting to hear that some schools do have students being referred to as "Dr." while other prefer the less dignified "student doctor"... However, as Zurik posted, at UIC, you're barely a student let alone a "doctor". This is what I had been told all along by people in the know in Chicago. I guess I was just surprised to hear that it was different at other dental schools.

Thanks everyone for your input! I'll just look forward to being a lowly "dental student" for the next four years!

B10

xc1999 said:
Uh....I don't know about that. Most of the upperclassmen I know are called by their first names by their patients. And at temple, when they call you up on the PA, they say, "student doctor" rather than "doctor" which I think is appropriate. That's the first time I've ever heard anyone want to be called doctor that hasn't graduated yet!

actually some profs call us dr. in the clinic...and some patients call us that too...i have a couple that i just told them to call me by my first name but they wind up just calling me Doc or Dr. XXX anyways...And in the oral surgery clinic...they even encourage us to write dr. on our name tag...b/c nervous pts. want doctors working on them...not just an avg. joe...

billiken10 said:
However, as Zurik posted, at UIC, you're barely a student let alone a "doctor". This is what I had been told all along by people in the know in Chicago. I guess I was just surprised to hear that it was different at other dental schools.

B10

Yulp, no reach arounds here. :rolleyes:

The Godfather said:
Probably still has his panties in a twist about Duke getting shut out in the tourney :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
you probably wont believe me........but im a TARHEEL FAN. go RAY, go MARVIN, go MAY, go SHAD, go JAWAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE THE HEELS FOREVER!!! RAYMOND went to my high school in Latta, South Carolina...we boys :love:

dental poopie said:
I tell ya what. If that guy gets a moderator position I am never posting another comment on SDN.

I wont come here either.

No way!
:thumbdown:
Just because hes kinda annoying, doesnt mean he doesnt mean well. I think his posts are pretty good. He just has some attitude.

billiken10 said:
Rumor has it that at some schools, students are referred to as "Dr. ----" as D-1's. I find that hard to believe. Anyone know better than me?

b10

At UMKC all students are refered to as Dr. So-and-so from day 1. I was told by a member of the adcom that it was to give patients assurance that they are being treated by a professional. They said that if anyone questions they answer that they are really doctors in training. She also mentioned that it was good for the D-students to start thinking of themselves as "doctors" and start living up to the role.

KaryoKinesis said:
you probably wont believe me........but im a TARHEEL FAN. go RAY, go MARVIN, go MAY, go SHAD, go JAWAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE THE HEELS FOREVER!!! RAYMOND went to my high school in Latta, South Carolina...we boys :love:

Where in the heck is Latta? (Columbia-born Tarheel here !!!). I'm afraid we're losin' most of the team, though. :(

What a thread. Honestly, I was curious about Delicious being banned so I did a search through his posts and winded up here. I think begining next year I will start introducing myself as Dr. Hadfield everywhere I go. I'm at a party and a girl's checking me out and asks my name, "Oh me? I'm DOCTOR Hadfield, and you can call me that because that's what I am"
I was going to think of more examples but I'm tired and the first one wasn't even funny, so why would the second one be?
I'm going to bed.

to the people that replied to me more than a year ago...YOU are wrong actually. )

the guy was a dick. straight up. i was in the patients chair. he had a power trip. bad student, probably bad doctor, surely a bad person.

i dont mean this post to reflect poorly on the temple school of dentistry...just the specific D3 that worked on me.

all the best.

to the people that replied to me more than a year ago...YOU are wrong actually. )

the guy was a dick. straight up. i was in the patients chair. he had a power trip. bad student, probably bad doctor, surely a bad person.

i dont mean this post to reflect poorly on the temple school of dentistry...just the specific D3 that worked on me.

all the best.

:confused: That's a long time to wait for a rebuttal. I think these guys are all in the dental forum now.

I also found aphistis' comments strikingly ironic.

Luckly you're a Tarheel fan but you don't go to UNC...here at UNC we don't accept people with bad behavior like you.

Where in the heck is Latta? (Columbia-born Tarheel here !!!). I'm afraid we're losin' most of the team, though. :(

nice! you go to UNC? dang....man! we going to win again this year just like we did in the 2005 NCAA. I'm going to jump over the fire to celebrate again...Dangggg.
By the way i'm "the Don" the ONLY godfather...:D

Basically, I'm going to dental school. I don't really care what they call me. Call me a multitude of 4-letter words...I'd still be on cloud 9. Though presumpuous, maybe Dr. $#@! sounds better than just $#@!.

Basically, I'm going to dental school. I don't really care what they call me. Call me a multitude of 4-letter words...I'd still be on cloud 9. Though presumpuous, maybe Dr. $#@! sounds better than just $#@!.

That's one @#$#ing good point Dr. @#$@!:laugh:

I agree with DonLee. You should be introduced as a student doctor or student dentist. It is misleading to represent yourself as a dentist or doctor when you have not achieved the degree. A patient deserves to know who is participating in his or her treatment.