A dumb question but...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2badr

**Switch**
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just found out that my back up plan will add a whopping two years to my undergrad study :eek:
Is it really worth it to have a backup plan like this? My clinicals will prevent me from taking a lot of the pre-reqs in the time I had allotted. Any suggestions would be appreciated.:(
Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

i had a similar situation..

i just broke down and decided that I would just do it. i still have a backup plan if I dont get in but it means getting a teaching degree after the fact, instead of before which would set me back.

If you really want to get into med school, then you wont need a backup plan.

Thanks agent..I guess that makes sense.I know what you mean about getting in but I just feel better knowing I don't have all my eggs in one basket,you know? So 2 years here we go...still kinda disappointing tho.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question:

If your back-up plan takes 2 whole years to prepare for, why not execute it AFTER you apply and fail? (if you apply and fail, which you probably won't).

About half of all applicants matriculate. Why waste 2 years on a 50-50 thing? Do you have that little confidence in yourself? Come on, you can do it!

Originally posted by Diogenes
Question:

If your back-up plan takes 2 whole years to prepare for, why not execute it AFTER you apply and fail? (if you apply and fail, which you probably won't).

About half of all applicants matriculate. Why waste 2 years on a 50-50 thing? Do you have that little confidence in yourself? Come on, you can do it!

thats exactly what im doing. if i fail then ill just do it afterwards

I agree with Diogenes.

I think this is the perception for many people still in college that are applying to medical school. I can only speak for myself but when I was in college I was worried about having a backup plan. I guess at that point I felt that if I couldn't start med school right after college I was a failure and that I needed to do something else hence I needed a backup plan. I soon realized though that its never too late in life to do what you want and that it really wasn't imperative that I go to medical school right away. Stories of people going to med school in their late 20's and even 30's amazed me but also helped me see how if you really want something you should always go for it despite the circumstances. I'm just over a year out of college now and not only have I matured quite a bit, but my perceptions of a lot of things have changed too.

Originally my backup was to enter a Master's program but I realized quickly I had no interest in doing so and hardly needed one anyway. I thought it foolish to committ to two years of that. Perhaps some of you are thinking about one now.

My primary plan and "back up plan" became medical school. I'm just going to keep trying till I get in. I want to become a physician, there is no backup or substitute for me. I can't see myself doing anything else. In the meantime, I get by, I work but I think it's great. What I do now is certainly not a career but it does a good job of filling in the gap in my education.

Instead of formulating a backup plan, I would suggest finding something to do in the mean time as you apply until you get in. Try finding a job, work for a little bit, save up some cash and just live outside of academia for perhaps the first time in your lives. I'm actually glad I didn't get in a year ago, it was a blessing in disguise.

my backup plan is my computer tech job i currently do.

backup plan? what backup plan?

Originally posted by ankitovich
backup plan? what backup plan?
totally. :laugh:

Thanks for the replies.The advice you guys have given me makes a lot of sense.I guess I was trying to do too many things that are not a necessity to this process. Oh and no I am not applying this year:pity: but I wish I was!!! okay I guess I should get myself in gear again.Good advice (thanx for the vote of confidence:D ) And I thank you :D