A Dumb Question ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medblue

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
newbie here trying to plan 2 years of science courses. i am on a college website that discusses chemistry requirements.

it lists 2 semesters of organic chemistry and 2 semesters of inorganic chemistry

question. is inorganic chemistry and general chemistry the same? i don't want to take the wrong course. i'm looking at my schools schedule and "inorganic" chemistry is not listed :D

Members don't see this ad.

For basic prereqs which all med schools require, yes, inorganic chem is the same as freshmen General Chem.

Members don't see this ad :)
Organic Chemistry is very different from inorganic chemistry. The school you may be attending may call inorganic chemistry general chemistry, but make sure it is a pre-req for health sciences. Organic Chemistry is its own type of chemistry and has nothing to do with general chemistry in my opinion.

thanks everyone for your replies. i had an introductory chemistry course last semester and i really enjoyed it. we touched on organic (just briefly) and that was cool too!

i forgot to ask....................... in your opinion, is there a certain order they should be taken in?

OwnageMobile said:
Two years? Do you mean two semesters?

lol :laugh: i'd never get into med school! yes i mean 2 semesters of each, 2 years total !!!

medblue said:
i forgot to ask....................... in your opinion, is there a certain order they should be taken in?

Gen then orgo.

And two semesters of each, not two years of each.

medblue said:

Gen Chem then Orgo. Hands down.

Um.. two YEARS? Usually it's one year or two SEMESTERS, or by credit hours. Usually 8 or 10 credits of lecture and lab.

And if given the choice of a gen chem or o chem for majors vs. nonmajors, take the classes designed for chem majors. With labs.

At UCLA the two inorganic and two organic chemistry courses are condensed into just 3 quarters.