A family practitioner's understanding of anesthesiology practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Planktonmd

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This article in anesthesiology news shows how physicians are their own worst enemies.
This is a family practitioner who is advocating making anesthesiology a nursing field and who feels entitled to opine on our specialty and spread political propaganda.
Very sad in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Sad to see another sell out but that’s what financial insecurity looks like. You have to swallow your pride as a physician, accept some cash from the AANA and sign your name to the propaganda letter. It’s sad really! Really sad! Deep down, she doesn’t believe in what she wrote and more so if she shows up somewhere for surgery.

I care far less about the physician loyalty angle than the fact that she is wrong about independent practice being good for patients

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not going to anesthesia but man, that's just disgusting. That fam med doc should be ashamed of herself. She's definitely receiving kickback or has some sort of agenda to randomly show support of a bill she has no ties to.
Stay strong you gas folks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
her profile looks like she's ready to retire so why not take in a few dollars from the AANA and those folks you went to nursing school with. i'm sure NP/PA incursion in family practice hasn't left her bitter so why not spread the love and have medicine be a nursing field altogether. :rolleyes:

FPs sadly have become the runt of the medicine litter. I guess being a GP all those years and being told you are equivalent to a PA finally got to her

Reactions: 1 user
As a former RN and now a doc, she’s a total sellout. CRNA was my backup plan and I am sure if I was a CRNA I would be brainwashed too.

However, why the hell did she go to medical school then? Why didn’t she to to CRNA or ARNP school then?

Reactions: 1 users
This article in anesthesiology news shows how physicians are their own worst enemies.
This is a family practitioner who is advocating making anesthesiology a nursing field and who feels entitled to opine on our specialty and spread political propaganda.
Very sad in my opinion.

May she and her family receive their care from APRNs practicing at the top of their license.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 10 users
That Family doc only sees the bread and butter if she mentions crna taking care of her and her kids

also sayin crna get 8-9 years training is a tad ridiculous. Someone is in her ears. And she believing what they are telling her.

BSN should not even count. If it does. That MD undergrad degrees many in science should count and harder than bsn.

the truth is 1 year icu nursing following orders. Than crna school. That’s total of 4 years “experience “

vs at least 8 sometimes 9 years if u count fellowship of medical education and medical training.

This makes no sense. I'm a family physician and so am expected to know a little bit about pretty much every aspect medicine, but anesthesia might as well be a black box as far as our training is concerned. I have no idea why a family doctor thinks she's qualified to opine on this subject.

Reactions: 17 users
This makes no sense. I'm a family physician and so am expected to know a little bit about pretty much every aspect medicine, but anesthesia might as well be a black box as far as our training is concerned. I have no idea why a family doctor thinks she's qualified to opine on this subject.
I mean surgeons who work alongside anesthesiologists every single day can't be assed to understand even the most basic aspects of anesthesia like what a "mac" case actually is or why the patient might move slightly while they are suturing skin so the bar is incredibly low for everyone else. Physicians of other specialties are the biggest threat to each other far more than some dumb NPs.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As a former RN and now a doc, she’s a total sellout. CRNA was my backup plan and I am sure if I was a CRNA I would be brainwashed too.

However, why the hell did she go to medical school then? Why didn’t she to to CRNA or ARNP school then?
When did she go to DO school??

Her husband is the person in Florida who petitioned the board of nursing to be called a “nurse anesthesiologist”. Former FANA President. Most militant CRNA in the state probably.

Wow. This makes so much sense. Not sure what’s worst. Her going to DO school in 1989 when we all know (just look at previous AAMC) data. 1989 was EASIEST YEAR to get into MD USA 116 school. Just look at the data. 29k applicants for 15/16k slot. Not the brightest bulb. (And yes 1970-early 2000s) Big red flag if u didn’t get into MD USA school. These days DO grads are more accepted in mainstream. Not to offend anyone.

Compared to 46k applicants for 1995/1996 year for same 15/16k slots for MD school.

Husband. Being crna. Makes all the sense in the world. She needs to make full disclosure.

Very sad in my opinion.

Sell out. This is terrible. Can't wait until a PA replaces her.

There is a reply from medical association. No one pointed out the conflict of interest that I can see.

I didn't see this, but I did see a comment pointing out here conflict of interest that appears to be written by someone from the ASA.

I didn't see this, but I did see a comment pointing out here conflict of interest that appears to be written by someone from the ASA.

There is another one op-ed titled, “keep physician in the loop.”

Don’t know which one is first. Maybe it’s the one side vs the other of op-ed?

Remember, there is nothing an RN does that a CNA with a year or two of experience can't do....