A "few" low grades, Any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilon85

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my first time actually ever posting something, but I am so stressed right now (studying for April MCAT's) that I need all the advice and help I can get! Anyways, I went to university in England, straight out of high school, for two years, to do a degree in Biomedical Sciences. However, before I finished, I transferred back to USA. My university in USA was pretty good about transferring my classes, and I received credit for pretty much all of the higher level sciences, but still have to complete physics and organic chemistry.

First of all, I am worried that not having taken organic chemistry by the time I submit my med. school applications will reduce my chances of getting in. I have been exposed to organic chemistry in England, and am confident of my ability to still do well on the MCAT but since I transferred, they didnt give me credit for it so I have to take the classes.

Also, I am worried because I received about 4 or 5 C+ on my transcript and one D (the classes were super-specialized and ones that I took in England) and I feel that I might be at a disadvantage upon applying to Med school??? As far as my basic science/non-science pre-reqs go I have gotten pretty much all A's and B's (especially since coming back to USA)...but its just those few C's from England that are getting me stressed!

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends. First, what's your gpa and your science gpa? If those are in the ball park of 3.5 and you nail the mcats, you'll probably be all right. You should probably see your pre-med advisor and see what he/she has to say about your situation. If your gpa is really low, then you might want to consider re-taking some of those pre-reqs or taking more advanced classes to show that you can get through the medical school curriculum. But all I can say is what's done is done, focus on the mcats now and really dominate that exam, apply, and see what happens.

Thanks for your reply. This is my first year in a USA school so im not really sure what my science GPA is (i'll find out when i go back) but my GPA overall is a 3.8. I was hoping that my GPA, combined with my research/volunteer experience, and hopefully a good MCAT score will help me out. I'll definately talk to my pre-med advisor when I go back. Also, if I do decide to retake some of these classes and get A's then will there be a mention in my transcript that it was the second time I took the class?