Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

a few more TIPS for PS statements

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by relatively prime, Jun 18, 2002.

1. relatively prime

relatively prime post happy member
    7+ Year Member

I've had the honor of being asked to read some PS essays. And WOW! You guys all have such great experiences! I was amazed!

Based on what I've read... I'd like to put some tips here.

1. Cut out the run-on sentences.

This is a sentence: "The man fell off a cliff."

This is THREE sentences: "A man fell of a cliff, I wanted to help him, because he had broke his ankle, and this sparked my interest in medicine."

I know how it is... I used to be the run-on sentence queen... but they really do sound bad... and can get really confusing.

2. A lot people seem to want to put down research. I understand that many of you are not interested in research. That's fine... and certainly you should explain in your essay why research is not for you... but a lot of the people who sent me their essays inadvertantly made research some like a useless, cold, impersonal activity that only nerdy, anti-social people would want to do. Seriously, almost every essay I read had an element of this in it...

Those are just two things I thought I should mention to everybody. Hope this helps someone :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. sunflower79

sunflower79 Plays well with knives
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm gonna link this to my PS thread, if you don't mind :)

Here's the link to my thread:
    <a href="http://forums.studentdoctor.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=013547" target="_blank">Tips on writing a Personal Statement</a>

3. Zoobaby

Zoobaby Monkey Wrench
    7+ Year Member

RP - Can I email you my essay? It is very rough. I think it could be way off, or I think it could be good. I really don't know. Plus I think I've forgotten how to write in any form other than email in the past 4 years. :)
    You game?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. OP
    OP
    relatively prime

relatively prime post happy member
    7+ Year Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Zoobaby:
    <strong>RP - Can I email you my essay? It is very rough. I think it could be way off, or I think it could be good. I really don't know. Plus I think I've forgotten how to write in any form other than email in the past 4 years. :)
    You game?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sure... PM it to me :)

5. watto

watto Sleek White Pantsuit
    10+ Year Member

This is going to sound crass, probably because it is, but I have your best interests at heart here so bear with me.

After reading a lot of your essays, some of which were well-written and coherent, I was struck by the amount of conformity in the subjects covered. The same old stuff is probably not going to set you apart from the crowd, I gotta say. I read a few essays about dealing with low-income patients that were basically the same, some about "always wanting to be a doctor," a slew about volunteer work.

I understand that all these experiences may have been important to you, but I hope you realize that adcoms get a lot of homogeneity in the essays they read and you are part of it.

Take some risks--use a little humor, write with some style. Punch it up. I would be willing to bet that a coherent essay that stands out from the rest will do more for you than any earnest treacle you could ever write.

6. dinah

dinah New Member

This is my second round of application. I believe that my first PS was very strong (humorous, poignant, etc)--is it necessary to write a new one (which would probably be weaker)?

7. DesiMDHopeful

DesiMDHopeful Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

It'd probably be a good idea to try and maybe update your old PS if you can. I dunno...I think if you're applying for a 2nd time it's good to show the schools that you're a different and more improved person than the one that applied first time around. That was the tact I took at least and I think my PS the 2nd time was stronger and had more feeling behind it as a result. That's just a thought though