• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

    October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

    Register Now!

  • Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

    Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

    Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!


A few questions about obtaining medical training in Ireland


New Member
Apr 20, 2011
  1. Attending Physician
Greetings, all!

I have a few questions regarding obtaining medical training in Ireland... specifically higher specialty training.

>> As of now, after talking with representatives/agents in the Irish Medical Council, the best I can do at this point is to apply for registration into the general registry. I am a Category 4 applicant - I did my medical schooling and postgraduate internship in a non-EU/EEA country - however, I completed my residency in internal medicine and fellowship training in critical/intensive care medicine in the US. They stated that applicants who do not have the equivalent or a Certificate of Experience are not eligible for registration in the Trainee Specialist Division. My first questions are: What are the ways in which an equivalent of a Certificate of Experience can be obtained? Do I necessarily need to put in a few years of medical experience within Ireland, or can my credentials be reviewed for the purpose of obtaining one?

>> I have also been in correspondence with the RCPI (Royal College of Physicians of Ireland). After providing them documentations on my credentials, the Associate Dean emailed me early 2011 to let me know that they are satisfied that my internal medicine residency training is equivalent to their criteria for Basic Specialist Training in general internal medicine. They did however state a disclaimer that they cannot issue a certificate of completion for training done outside their direct supervision, but they are happy to attest this equivalence, solely for the purpose of entry to Higher Medical Training in Ireland... that if I'm applying for a Specialist Registrar post (trying to get into respiratory medicine), I may use the hard copy of our correspondence as evidence of this equivalence. That being said, how would this help me in getting registered into the Trainee Specialist Division of the Irish Medical Council? It is my understanding that application for higher specialty posts is through the RCPI; is it an absolute pre-requisite that I be registered under the Trainee Specialist Division of the Irish Medical Council first prior to applying for a post through RCPI?

:confused: Please help. Understanding all of these procedures has been a great struggle for me. :confused:

Thanks, everyone! And I apologize for the wordiness.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.