A few questions about Step I test day...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hollaback Girl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Does the computer tell you how much break time you have left throughout the day?
2. Would it be against the rules to look over FA during my lunch break?
3. Are regular watches allowed?
4. Do people generally work their way backwards from question 50 to help them keep track of time better?
5. I've heard that they give a dry erase board to write with is that true?
6. How does the Audio work...to they make you where headphones throughout the test? Should I consider bringing my own?
Thanks...in advance..

Members don't see this ad.

1. Does the computer tell you how much break time you have left throughout the day?
2. Would it be against the rules to look over FA during my lunch break?
3. Are regular watches allowed?
4. Do people generally work their way backwards from question 50 to help them keep track of time better?
5. I've heard that they give a dry erase board to write with is that true?
6. How does the Audio work...to they make you where headphones throughout the test? Should I consider bringing my own?
Thanks...in advance..

1. Yes
2. No, you can look over FA anytime you want, as long as you're not in the sound proof testing room. Big Brother is watching you at all times. I looked at FA on ALL My breaks to check my answers.
3. No watches allowed. No jewelry allowed.
4. Not sure about you, but I like to start from number 1. I always make sure I put an answer down before moving on.
5. In addition to the annotate on the screen, you get a dry erase board. 3 to be exact. they are double sided. you get two black markers. but no eraser....
6. there are two sets of headphones. one is a sound proof noise canceller. the second is a special set of audio headphones with audio coming only in the left ear... wierd. both are at your desk. you can't bring your own.
7. during the exam, you cannot take off or put on a sweat shirt. you cannot reach into your pockets. nor can you ever take off your glasses. that's what was told to me during the exam. luckily for me, i am warm blooded with a lot of body hair to keep me warm. and i dont wear glasses.
8. Big Brother or one of the employee literally sits at the glass window looking into your room. He/she is always watching you.

No jewelry at all?? I'm really superstitious & have a pair of earring & necklace that I never take off...

What??? You can't put on a sweatshirt during the exam? That's crazy......

Members don't see this ad :)
So you're telling me that they might get a little suspicious if I sat down next to my computer with a copy of First Aid disguised as a magazine?

This could really throw off my overall strategy . . .

No jewelry? I am NOT taking off my wedding ring for an exam. Surgery rotation, ok. Exam? NO.

Can you at least bring Kleenex? I have developed an allergy to something here in New England and my nose has been running for weeks now. Decongestants make me sleepy.

Someone else posted a few weeks ago that they won't even let you have tissues. That's going to be nasty...

Well, I'm not the one that'll have to tear apart the computer and keyboard to get all the snot out of it. :laugh: Personally i don't care if i drip all over it.

Well, I'm not the one that'll have to tear apart the computer and keyboard to get all the snot out of it. :laugh: Personally i don't care if i drip all over it.

haha agreed. I have the same prob. Zyrtec is working though- I bought like half the aisle at CVS and tried them all when I started studying.

I haven't taken the actual step 1 yet...but i took the practice test at the prometric site....

they just checked to see if i have a watch on...i was allowed to keep my jewlery on.

they gave me 2 white boards (actually pieces of laminated paper) and 2 black pens...but they also gave me an eraser.

Be careful those pens roll around like crazy, I lost one and it rolled all the way under my little cube and into the student next door's. I was only there for a practice test but I thought for sure they'd jump on me for trying to pass notes or something.

as to the whole clothing thing- I think its going to depend on how anal the proctor you get that day is. I have heard of people being allowed to put on/remove clothing and then I have heard of people who had to either wear it or put it in their locker.

I just hope the room is an OK temperature- something not too hot and not too cold.