A few questions, hopefully encouragement.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dustinhp

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I am currently, in theory, a first year college student. I have a few issues and questions that hopefully someone here can help me out with. So let me start off by giving a little background info on me and why I am here. I have been going, off and on, to a community college for two years. Due to personal and family illnesses I was only able to finish one semester and I did not make very good grades. The other 2 semesters I either had withdrawals or fails(not but a few) because they did not withdrawal me from the classes.

However, this was over a year ago and I did not have a plan. I didn't even have a major decided on. I have now switched to a different college, received financial aid which I've never had, illness is no longer an issue, and I have decided to pursue nursing(BSN), and then medical school after. I get to start over from scratch with my GPA, and there is a new found light in my life to better myself. I have always had a passion for medicine and helping others, but I never thought I had the ability to achieve anything with it even though I always had great grades in school and understood science very well. Both my mother and grandmother have cancer and being in the hospital with them and seeing how amazing the nurses and doctors are have made me realize that I was meant to do the same. I can't imagine doing anything now.

So basically my question is, can I recover from this enough if I make straight A's and keep my GPA above a 3.5? Will I have a chance at medical school if I do? Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi Person who's name I changed AGAIN!!!,

1st - please edit your post and remove the identifiable information :) In this ultra-competitive landscape, keep your identity as private for as long as possible.

2nd - if medical school is your first choice, then I would not really consider a nursing degree at this point. Nursing curriculum and medical school prereqs are vastly different.

NOT disparaging those nurses who have gone on to med school!!!!

But if you have a choice now, to chase med school means finding a different bachelor's degree program; preferably one that incorporates the med school prereqs.

As for the question of "Can I recover?" Yes! There are many on this forum, including me, that are or have. But it is not easy, quick or assured.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply Ad2b.
I chose nursing because I want to be in the medical field regardless of what I end up doing. I would love to do a pre-med degree, but I'm very worried I would not get into medical school so I want to have the nursing degree in case I do not. I will take the extra classes as needed for med school also. Hopefully that makes sense. I'm doing everything in my power to get to where I need to be. I do not expect or want easy, nor do I want quick. Thank you again for your kind words.

Glad you made the change :)

The choices you are making are very personal; and I do understand where you're coming from.

For me, nursing has never been an option, despite that I inherited my great aunt's surgical kit (she was the nurse for a surgeon in the small town where I was born). Back then, circa 1969, women were not well known for becoming physicians, but nursing was never my thought then either.

Even at this stage of my life, I would consider PA over nursing and you may well find that you love nursing and become a NP; there is absolutely NO shame in that profession. Again, to me, nurses are in many ways MORE critical to patient care than the docs who treat them if only because many patients - or at least those I've seen during shadowing - were much more willing to tell the nurses things than the docs.