A few questions on HPSP programs, TIA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UNR.Grad

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to go into Pedo and am thinking about going into the Navy or Air Force, but I have a few questions about specializing that I would appreciate being answered if possible.

1. When do you apply for specialties and start if you're a 4 year HPSP recipient, after dental school or after you 4 year commitment?

2. If you apply for specialties right out of school, could you practice your specialty during your payback?

3. Do those who do specialize through the armed forces have to pay back more years of active duty for their specialty residency?

4. When choosing residents, what do the specialty programs look at? I have been accepted to UCLA and it's known for getting its students into specialty programs, will this help for the military specialty programs as well?

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to go into Pedo and am thinking about going into the Navy or Air Force, but I have a few questions about specializing that I would appreciate being answered if possible.

1. When do you apply for specialties and start if you're a 4 year HPSP recipient, after dental school or after you 4 year commitment?

2. If you apply for specialties right out of school, could you practice your specialty during your payback?

3. Do those who do specialize through the armed forces have to pay back more years of active duty for their specialty residency?

4. When choosing residents, what do the specialty programs look at? I have been accepted to UCLA and it's known for getting its students into specialty programs, will this help for the military specialty programs as well?

Thanks for the help!

If you are seriously wanting to specialize in Pedo you might want to reconsider your plans for an HPSP scholarship. As some classmates of mine have found out, the military does not have an overwhelming need for pediatric dentists. The specialty of pediatrics is not even offered through the Navy and one must attend a civilian program. That being said, the Navy needs you much more as a GP rather than let you take off to a civilian program to become certified in a specialty that does not serve the main mission of keeping sailors dentally fit.

As an example we just had an active duty Navy orthodontist come and speak at our school, a specialty that can actually serve active duty sailors. She shared that right now there are only 16 orthodontists in the entire Navy dental corps which is roughly 1000+ dentists.

Ditto for Army Pedo, it is tough to get patients, I don't think they are offering a pedo specialty either. Stateside the only pedo spots tend to be at the big hospitals dealing with medically compromised kids, overseas there is more oppotuny to treat kids, but they are even starting to contract out care for dependents overseas.

For your questions: You typically can apply for residencies your senior year, but very competitive residencies like ortho and endo I think you have to a wait a year to apply for. Once you graduate from a specialty you practice it, unless you get deployed in a general dentistry spot. Payback for specialty training is the same as dental school, one for one, except fro ortho and endo that are 3 years payback for 2 years of residency. coming out of dental school they will be looking at your board scores and grades, after being on active duty your evaluations and letter of recommendation take on a little more weight.