A few questions regarding letters of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snerik

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I had a few questions regarding submitting letters of recommendation. These are questions that I could have asked my advisor but I am currently on a time crunch and figured I can ask them here.

What exactly is the due date for a letter of recommendation? Is it the same date as the deadline for the AADSAS of that certain school (i.e for Ohio State the deadline of the AADSAS is September 15th, is that the deadline for the letter)?

How exactly are the letters sent to schools? Is it something that I must submit or is it something my professor, dentist, etc. Must submit within their own time?

When discussing with my professor letters is it fine to give my own input about what they should write? This kind of feel disingenuous to me but I see many sources saying that this is something that is done.

And finally, is there any rush to get the letter in right now if the applications are due in 2-3 months?

Thanks in advance, and if it isn't too much trouble I might ask some more questions that may pop up.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What exactly is the due date for a letter of recommendation? Is it the same date as the deadline for the AADSAS of that certain school (i.e for Ohio State the deadline of the AADSAS is September 15th, is that the deadline for the letter)?

Your letters of recommendation should be processed by AADSAS by the time you submit your application. But in general they are due when that school's application deadline is. I think my letters took like a day to be marked complete/received (I used committee letter)

How exactly are the letters sent to schools? Is it something that I must submit or is it something my professor, dentist, etc. Must submit within their own time?

On the application, the letter of recommendation section will include a box where you put in your recommenders information. It will email them them a link with instructions.

When discussing with my professor letters is it fine to give my own input about what they should write? This kind of feel disingenuous to me but I see many sources saying that this is something that is done.

I did this with all my recommenders which I think helped shape my application the way I wanted. I wrote down why I chose them and what I hopefully want them to highlight based on our relationship.

And finally, is there any rush to get the letter in right now if the applications are due in 2-3 months?

The application has a soft open in May 15th or something around there and you can start to official submit sometime in the first week on June. I would recommend you stress to the recommenders to have your letters done by the end of May. You want to submit your application as soon as possible and don't want to run into unforeseen circumstances that delay the submission of your application. Many people complain later on that their application was delayed because of recommenders