A few questions.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoc18

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's up SDN, I'm currently a high school senior who will be graduating this May. One of the schools that I have been accepted to offers a Degree- in-3 program, meaning that I can receive my Bachelor's ( in biology) in 3 years by taking summer courses. My question is, would something like this be a good idea, or should I go to the other school and spend 4 years obtaining my bachelor's? I ask this because I would like to know how medical schools feel about a program like this and if It would hurt/ increase my chances of getting in. Any help is appreciated, Thanks in advance :cool:.

Members don't see this ad.

You'll have less time for extra-currics, definitely. You may not have time to get research experience if you want it. You'll be cramming 120+ credit hours into 6 semesters versus 8 semesters. I'm sure there are people lurking around that have done it. However, I think it would be very fast paced for anyone and I don't know if that's such a good idea.
You're young, one year does not make a difference at this point in time (I don't care about a year's loss of salary, btw).

also, for me, a big part of the college experience was social. I never once wished college was over while I was there, and now that my four years are over, I wish I could go back for another year. Don't underestimate the value of not only 4 years of classes and ECs but also of friends and spring breaks and marathon movie weekends.

Also, I had the option of graduating a semester early, but instead, I studied in Ireland for a semester, which I wouldn't have been able to do in only 3 years. Good luck with your decision! :luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Like everyone else said, this offers less time for EC's, research, shadowing, etc... But if you can get all those under your belt in 3 years and still come out with a good GPA and MCAT, then I think ADCOMM's might see you as a very motivated applicant who can handle an intense science curriculum (very good attributes to have when applying to med school).

However, I would never do this. I loved my college experience and I wish I had another 4 years. Also, if you don't handle the curriculum well (i.e. lots of B's) and don't devote the time to preparing for the MCAT, you'll have a hard time getting in. You have to make the cut on paper first and foremost (~3.5 or above and ~30 or above on the MCAT)!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's obviously possible to get in with stats less than those, and avg. GPA and MCAT's vary from school to school, but this is what most people quote as the golden standard for getting in. I stress making the cut on paper b/c I did not devote the time I should have to school work and wound up with a lot of B's. My final GPA was a 3.36 and it has taken me 3 app cycles to get in, something you want to try and avoid. It also takes a lot of time to prepare for interviews, something else I underestimated.

Point is, unless you are a superstar, I don't think you can be confident about your chances of success in a 3 yr program. Take the extra year and enjoy yourself, but still work hard. You'll save yourself a lot of grief.

Great advice posted in this thread.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. College isn't about rushing through as fast as you can. You'll miss you - academically, socially, emotionally.

Thanks for all the replies everyone, they were very helpful.

Like everyone else said, this offers less time for EC's, research, shadowing, etc... But if you can get all those under your belt in 3 years and still come out with a good GPA and MCAT, then I think ADCOMM's might see you as a very motivated applicant who can handle an intense science curriculum (very good attributes to have when applying to med school).

However, I would never do this. I loved my college experience and I wish I had another 4 years. Also, if you don't handle the curriculum well (i.e. lots of B's) and don't devote the time to preparing for the MCAT, you'll have a hard time getting in. You have to make the cut on paper first and foremost (~3.5 or above and ~30 or above on the MCAT)!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's obviously possible to get in with stats less than those, and avg. GPA and MCAT's vary from school to school, but this is what most people quote as the golden standard for getting in. I stress making the cut on paper b/c I did not devote the time I should have to school work and wound up with a lot of B's. My final GPA was a 3.36 and it has taken me 3 app cycles to get in, something you want to try and avoid. It also takes a lot of time to prepare for interviews, something else I underestimated.

Point is, unless you are a superstar, I don't think you can be confident about your chances of success in a 3 yr program. Take the extra year and enjoy yourself, but still work hard. You'll save yourself a lot of grief.

The above answer to your question is good advice but I would remind to to thing about a couple of things in addition. First, you are coming out of high school and attending college may change your interests so make sure that you don't try to "cut corners" in an attempt to get into medical school too fast and wind up miserable. There were four BS/MD candidates that started first year of medical school with me. These folks were all 19 years old and had excellent academics. Only one of them was able to graduate. The other three failed out of medical school largely due to really NOT wanting to do medicine after they got into it and not being able to handle the stress of what the emotional demands of a medical school curriculum can bring.

The next thing that I would remind you is that you can go ahead and enter that 3-year program. If all goes well, you don't change your mind about medicine and you are doing well, then it was a good decision. If not, then opt to spend the extra year and get what you need to be mature and adjusted. There are options all along the path to medical school that can make your transition easy. You just need to be sure that you don't lose any of them.

Also, be sure that you fast-track your extracurricular activities, get your LORs early and make sure that you get a strong knowledge base so that you can do well on the MCAT and have a very competitive uGPA. You get one chance at acing your undergraduate coursework. Don't waste this opportunity to do well because you are in a hurry.

I'm one of those 4 year gals. I had a friend who graduated in 3 years with a BS in Zoology herself and got accepted to a lot of medical schools. She's now a second year med student. I have two friends doing the 6 year BS/MD program. None of them have regretted a minute of it. One is in his first year (and top of his class) and the second is a third year med student (in the top 10% of his class).

It isn't for everyone. With the school that offers the 3 year degree... why not go there and do it? If you change your mind - just stay that 4 year or study abroad, like other posters have mentioned.

The above answer to your question is good advice but I would remind to to thing about a couple of things in addition. First, you are coming out of high school and attending college may change your interests so make sure that you don't try to "cut corners" in an attempt to get into medical school too fast and wind up miserable. There were four BS/MD candidates that started first year of medical school with me. These folks were all 19 years old and had excellent academics. Only one of them was able to graduate. The other three failed out of medical school largely due to really NOT wanting to do medicine after they got into it and not being able to handle the stress of what the emotional demands of a medical school curriculum can bring.

The next thing that I would remind you is that you can go ahead and enter that 3-year program. If all goes well, you don't change your mind about medicine and you are doing well, then it was a good decision. If not, then opt to spend the extra year and get what you need to be mature and adjusted. There are options all along the path to medical school that can make your transition easy. You just need to be sure that you don't lose any of them.

Also, be sure that you fast-track your extracurricular activities, get your LORs early and make sure that you get a strong knowledge base so that you can do well on the MCAT and have a very competitive uGPA. You get one chance at acing your undergraduate coursework. Don't waste this opportunity to do well because you are in a hurry.

Wow that's a pretty high percentage. We had a few pull out but nothing like 75% drop out rate.