a fine piece about volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Maybe you should volunteer to help people, but I seriously doubt that's what motivates almost all pre-meds. Though I enjoy them, I certainly would not have my current volunteer positions if I hadn't thought I was going to have to reapply this cycle.

Maybe you should volunteer to help people, but I seriously doubt that's what motivates almost all pre-meds. Though I enjoy them, I certainly would not have my current volunteer positions if I hadn't thought I was going to have to reapply this cycle.

meh...most people don't volunteer out of the goodness of their heart. thats a fact.

in other news: the onion is AWESOME. another great piece.

Members don't see this ad :)
man..... that article a mess:p But it makes me wonder if the people that evaluate the application believe that all the aplicants do it out of the goodness of their hearts...oh well...lol

man..... that article a mess:p But it makes me wonder if the people that evaluate the application believe that all the aplicants do it out of the goodness of their hearts...oh well...lol

i'm sure you can easily tell the difference between someone who wasted 200 hours to pad their resume and someone who spent quality time volunteering for something that they benefited from.

i've had both types of volunteer experiences. i coulnd't stand volunteering at this specific hospital because I was getting nothing out of it. i dreaded going every week b/c it was a waste of time....so i quit. my other friend thought it was important enough to pad her resume so he kept going....she even went so far as to sign in, leave the hsopital for 4 hours, come back and sign out....what a waste.

i'm sure you can easily tell the difference between someone who wasted 200 hours to pad their resume and someone who spent quality time volunteering for something that they benefited from.

i've had both types of volunteer experiences. i coulnd't stand volunteering at this specific hospital because I was getting nothing out of it. i dreaded going every week b/c it was a waste of time....so i quit. my other friend thought it was important enough to pad her resume so he kept going....she even went so far as to sign in, leave the hsopital for 4 hours, come back and sign out....what a waste.

amen to that. gotta find something that inspires you to come back.

I think that generally by the time you've found a volunteer activity actually worth doing, you would choose to do it with or without the application padding. That is, something you enjoy doing for free. Case in point: I'm not going to mention my charitable work to increase the revenue to a local drinking establishment, even though I am pretty sure I comprise 80% of their revenue during happy hour.

Padding your resume is required in order to be competitive with the other students. Its a crap cycle. Year 2000 class average was 100 hours volunteer, Year 2002 was 200, and Year 2008 was 300. so on and so on. I'll get mine out of the way this summer. Im looking at 400.I feel sorry for the upcoming year applicants. Medical school just seems to get more and more competitive.

The thing is about many volunteer positions is that the volunteer doesn't get to do any skilled work. I enjoy my volunteering as a crisis counselor but that's because I was trained and the work itself actually requires me to really call on the skills I've learned, etc. If it were just something like standing around in a hospital not doing much, I think that'd get old pretty fast.

It's not volunteering my time that I find tedious... it's not using my skills and just standing around "socializing" or doing some grunt work anyone else can do... then I feel ineffective and pointless.

For volunteering I find it very difficult to remain motivated. Sometimes I feel like there are more hoops to jump through for volunteering than there are for the pre-med process...

I've been through 3 undergraduate volunteering-based clubs, an HIV assistance hospice, an animal shelter, and a few positions at different divisions of a hospital.

The clubs were poorly organized and served no function beyond fundraising or desk work. In one particular instance, I was asked to attempt to sell squashed fluffernutter sandwiches for a dollar in a pathetic excuse for a bake sale - I made around fifteen dollars in four hours, after lowering the price to 50 cents and sitting in front of the cafeteria (hey, between dorm food and a mashed fluffernutter, i'd be willing to take my chances too). I bailed out pretty quickly.

The hospice stopped returning my calls and e-mails (musta scared em). The animal shelter was run by a bunch of people who thought it was more important to insult one another and argue for leadership rights than to actually raise funding and efficiency for the shelter. E-mails were sparse at first, with around 2 weeks between responses, then stopped altogether.

In the hospital, which I would say has, indeed, been my best volunteering experience, I spend most of my time on this very forum, wondering why they called me in at all - the ratio of patients to nurses is generally somewhere on the order of 3 to 1...

I've started looking at other hospitals, but I'm starting my application process soon, and to be honest, I'm genuinely reluctant to bother continue looking for 'great volunteering experiences'. Maybe I've just had some bad luck, but is it any real wonder why people don't volunteer out of the goodness of their hearts, when volunteering often requires a whole lot of effort to simply find something worth committing to at all?

Awesome article.

Shows the hypocrisy of all applicants applying to med school. But at least some of us learn something from these positions.

Dear SDN:

Thanks for once again taking something fun, tying it in a sack, beating it with a shovel, and throwing it in a swiftly moving stream.

Sincerely,
Punkindrublic

Coincidentally,

The last poster’s avatar reminded me of my favorite found sign for a pair of men's rubber pants. Anyone seeking to claim them was supposed to call a number (which worked) and give an identifying detail.

how does one lose a pair of rubber pants and what qualifies as an identifying detail?

Already A Thread. Search Before You Start A New Thread.

seriously...u can learn alot from it.