All Branch Topic (ABT) A foreginer medical student planning to enter the US Military

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FreeMiddleChild8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm an incoming 3rd yr medical student of a medical school here in the Philippines, and I have degree in medical laboratory science (formerly medical technology) and I am registered MLS here in the PH. As what the title says, I'm planning to enter the military service. I know this is unpatriotic of me to go and enter an armed force of a different country, but joining the US military has been my dream since I was a child...so yeah.

I basically don't know how to start taking care of this dream of mine of entering the military, lest the country. But do know that I am a tourist visa holder, multiple entry for 10years (expiry is on 2025). Just thought of including that into detail, maybe it can provide some leverage in the future processings?

I have some questions in mind..

1) I have to take first the entire USMLE process right?

2) What part of the USMLE can I start processing the documents for the military?

3) Do I have to be an american citizen first to join?

4) What branch should I choose?

5) What advices can you give me in reference to this journey I am about to take?

6) What is the process in a nutshell in entering the US military?

PS: I don't really know the way of things or any of the legalities because I haven't talked to anyone yet about this; I'm afraid of what their reactions will be.

Please and thank you so much to everyone who will shed some light.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone!

I'm an incoming 3rd yr medical student of a medical school here in the Philippines, and I have degree in medical laboratory science (formerly medical technology) and I am registered MLS here in the PH. As what the title says, I'm planning to enter the military service. I know this is unpatriotic of me to go and enter an armed force of a different country, but joining the US military has been my dream since I was a child...so yeah.

I basically don't know how to start taking care of this dream of mine of entering the military, lest the country. But do know that I am a tourist visa holder, multiple entry for 10years (expiry is on 2025). Just thought of including that into detail, maybe it can provide some leverage in the future processings?

2) What part of the USMLE can I start processing the documents for the military?

5) What advices can you give me in reference to this journey I am about to take?

PS: I don't really know the way of things or any of the legalities because I haven't talked to anyone yet about this; I'm afraid of what their reactions will be.

Ok, buddy. I'm going to try to take this bull by the horns, but I am not a foreign born national, I didn't go to a foreign medical school, and I'm not entirely clear on the specifics.

I do have an active duty tech who was a Filipino when he joined the Army. He did it through the MAVNI program, although that is basically a route for non-US citizens to enlist and gain citizenship during their commitment. I have no idea if there is a route for officers, let alone medical officers. Additionally, you would need to make sure that your University is ACGME accredited in order to qualify. I don't know the schtick in the Philippines in regards to medical schools and their accreditation in the US. If you can graduate and go straight into an American residency, then you're probably ok.

Some of your questions I can answer, but without connecting the answers to how you would actually get into the military.
1 - You do need to take USMLE 1 and 2 in order to get into a military residency. You'd complete step 3 during residency.
2 - You need to figure out how to join the military before you worry about this, because I don't know if you would need to apply after residency or before.
3 - Not necessarily (see MAVNI), although I don't know if there's a route for commissioning. You would need to be on a Visa, other than a travel Visa, from my understanding.
4 - Depends upon what your goals are.
5 - This is going to be difficult.
6 - For who? For me? I made a phone call and recruiters started showing up around every corner. For you, it will be harder.

To be honest, your best bet would be to contact a recruiting office within the US and explain your situation.

The EASIEST way, to be frank, would be to attend residency in the US (if you're a candidate to do so), become a citizen while you're a resident, and then do FAP or just join the military after residency. If you can't attend an American residency then you may be SOL for becoming a military physician in the US. You could do MAVNI, but I think you'd end up scrubbing commodes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, buddy. I'm going to try to take this bull by the horns, but I am not a foreign born national, I didn't go to a foreign medical school, and I'm not entirely clear on the specifics.

I do have an active duty tech who was a Filipino when he joined the Army. He did it through the MAVNI program, although that is basically a route for non-US citizens to enlist and gain citizenship during their commitment. I have no idea if there is a route for officers, let alone medical officers. Additionally, you would need to make sure that your University is ACGME accredited in order to qualify. I don't know the schtick in the Philippines in regards to medical schools and their accreditation in the US. If you can graduate and go straight into an American residency, then you're probably ok.

Some of your questions I can answer, but without connecting the answers to how you would actually get into the military.
1 - You do need to take USMLE 1 and 2 in order to get into a military residency. You'd complete step 3 during residency.
2 - You need to figure out how to join the military before you worry about this, because I don't know if you would need to apply after residency or before.
3 - Not necessarily (see MAVNI), although I don't know if there's a route for commissioning. You would need to be on a Visa, other than a travel Visa, from my understanding.
4 - Depends upon what your goals are.
5 - This is going to be difficult.
6 - For who? For me? I made a phone call and recruiters started showing up around every corner. For you, it will be harder.

To be honest, your best bet would be to contact a recruiting office within the US and explain your situation.

The EASIEST way, to be frank, would be to attend residency in the US (if you're a candidate to do so), become a citizen while you're a resident, and then do FAP or just join the military after residency. If you can't attend an American residency then you may be SOL for becoming a military physician in the US. You could do MAVNI, but I think you'd end up scrubbing commodes.

Thank you so much for the reply. I have spoken to a filipino USN on my flight back home just 2 days ago (I just went on a vacation to the states), and he said its a lot easier to enter if you're a citizen. Well, basically, I'm focusing on passing the USMLE so that I could enter a residency program in one of the hospitals in america and will just go from there. Because I heard if you go through a residency in step 3, the hospital you'll be doing your residency in will be the one to process the green card, so thats a huge load off your back as a student doctor.

Thank you so much again for your insight and answers. Appreciate it very much

Hello everyone!

It is possible. However to join the military you have to have passed USMLE 1, 2, 3, have an internship as well as have an unrestricted license. You have to be permanent resident or a US citizen. You could be taken as a general medical officer but I think there's emphasis on residency trained people joining. During my residency, there was someone who joined our class. He was from South America. He completed his medical training in his native country. He enlisted in the Army and served a tour. I think this enabled him to get a green card or citizenship. He completed all the USMLE exams and completed an internship. He joined my residency as a PGY-2. For one he had timing working out for him. This was at the height of the Iraq and Afghanistan war where the numbers to HPSP dramatically decreased. My class was at half capacity.

For you, there would probably not be an HPSP option to get residency training and you'd have to enter AFTER completing a residency here in the US. You'd have to be a permanent resident or citizen.

It is possible. However to join the military you have to have passed USMLE 1, 2, 3, have an internship as well as have an unrestricted license. You have to be permanent resident or a US citizen. You could be taken as a general medical officer but I think there's emphasis on residency trained people joining. During my residency, there was someone who joined our class. He was from South America. He completed his medical training in his native country. He enlisted in the Army and served a tour. I think this enabled him to get a green card or citizenship. He completed all the USMLE exams and completed an internship. He joined my residency as a PGY-2. For one he had timing working out for him. This was at the height of the Iraq and Afghanistan war where the numbers to HPSP dramatically decreased. My class was at half capacity.

For you, there would probably not be an HPSP option to get residency training and you'd have to enter AFTER completing a residency here in the US. You'd have to be a permanent resident or citizen.

Oh, I see. So, I'll have to have my residency training in the US then work on my citizenship after (because the hospital that I'll be doing my residency in will be the one to take care of my green card, if ever I match). Is that basically it?

And sorry, I didn't get the HPSP part. What does it mean if you enroll in HPSP?

EDIT: Oh right. Just googled it. It's a scholarship program to study medicine.. But does it also entail a scholarship for residency training? And if so, why can't I take it?

Last edited:
EDIT: Oh right. Just googled it. It's a scholarship program to study medicine.. But does it also entail a scholarship for residency training? And if so, why can't I take it?

HPSP is for US medical students, not for residency.

Why'd you think I'll be scrubbing commodes? Is that for real or just a metaphor? Didn't catch this one the last time.

Can be metaphorical or literal. Dr. Highpriest just meant that there is a decent likelihood you'll be doing an unpleasant job should you enlist through MAVNI.

Just echoing above, for your situation, it would be most optimal for you to become a doctor, get licensed and naturalized in the United States, and then join the military.

That. Is. Fantastic. And in the worst possible way. Because, as you know, the joint commission is primarily concerned with cleanliness. If you polish a turd, no one will notice when you wear it as a hat, for example.

Reactions: 1 user
That. Is. Fantastic. And in the worst possible way. Because, as you know, the joint commission is primarily concerned with cleanliness. If you polish a turd, no one will notice when you wear it as a hat, for example.
What do you expect from a bunch of nurnels (nurse colonels), and other assorted MSC multiple online masters degree holders placed into positions of leadership, without any ability or qualification assessments?