1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

a fun opportunity to set a pre-med strait

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by eric23, Dec 13, 2005.

1. eric23

eric23 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Well, the surprising news is...I want to go to a good medical school :thumbup: . Please check out my MDapp link. I'm from Illinois. You can probably guess what my in-state dream schools are. I'm not opptomistic, and I fear my competition.

Ok, I lose alot of sleep over this question :mad: :

Can these 3.5 up-swing gpa trenders compete with the 3.8s? :eek:

Yes I know the MCAT score isnt' there. Yes, I know the MCAT is important. ;)

I promise I'll start contributing more to SDN the more I learn! I love it here. Thanks in advance.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Chris127

Chris127 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Yes. Depending on your MCAT ;)

Seriously though, with that upward trend, you have a solid shot at your state schools.

Have you taken the MCAT.....?

4. Will Ferrell

Will Ferrell Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

you're going to place a very strong emphasis on research in your personal statement? are you going for an md/phd?

5. dajimmers

dajimmers Hedgehog!
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hehe, looking forward to it. Hehe.

Anyways, yes, you are in an excellent situation. GPA isn't great, as you've said, but improvement is very good. And to me, you're EC's seem impressive. What position do you play in soccer (just wondering)?

Don't spend too much time on here, or in soccer, or anything for that matter for the next few months. I know it is going to suck, but once April passes you'll be golden w/ a great MCAT score if you study hard. Keep your GPA trend going through the end of the year, apply early, and you'll get in to IL and other midwest schools no problem (assuming you can form sentences during interviews).

Good luck!! :thumbup:

6. odrade1

odrade1 UASOM alum
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'd say someone with a 3.5 upswing is competitive enough, as long as your MCAT reflects your latter gpas & not your earlier gpas...
    Don't plan on going to Harvard or anything unless you are really unique. However, most state schools would treat your application seriously (I don't know about schools in Illinois, however). Do you interview well? How are your social skills & life experiences? Research interest is a plus; it seemed that when I interviewed that the adcom was falling all over themselves to develop people who would consider academic medicine.
    My frosh gpa was 2.9; my final gpa was 3.75 or so.... my earlier bad grades NEVER even came up in interviews. If your recent work (last two years or 2&1/2) is consitently solid, the adcom will notice that fact.
    Good luck!

7. eric23

eric23 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I have not taken the MCAT

I'm not sure if I'll apply MD or MD/PhD

Soccer question? I play every position.

8. letmein!please?

letmein!please? Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    sounds legit :laugh:

9. eric23

eric23 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm going insane :thumbdown:

Just kidding :)

...no seriously I can't feel my legs :eek:

Why do I stare at this computer so much!?

what's with the soccer questions? center mid mostly :p

10. jbrice1639

jbrice1639 Cub Fan, Bud Man
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    you'll be fine. i went to your undergrad...had a way sub-par gpa combined with a good mcat, and did just fine with the illinois schools. northwestern was my only in-state rejection. so you're in good shape for sure.

11. eric23

eric23 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks Jbrice...congrats on loyola...buzz on campus is that it's a really great school...hail alma mater

12. Psycho Doctor

Psycho Doctor *** Angel
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    looks good, eric; just keep the GPA up there and do well on the MCAT and you'll do fine. Best of luck.