A good tox text

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I

Izlude_Tingel

Hi,
I will doing a tox rotation at NYU this coming fourth year. I am actually interested in doing a tox fellowship eventually after EM. Could someone recommend a good tox text that is easy to read and not too intense. Something like EM secrets for EM. Thx

DJ

Members don't see this ad.

Izlude_Tingel said:
Hi,
I will doing a tox rotation at NYU this coming fourth year. I am actually interested in doing a tox fellowship eventually after EM. Could someone recommend a good tox text that is easy to read and not too intense. Something like EM secrets for EM. Thx

DJ

Tox Secrets for EM is a great book. I used it during my 4th year tox rotation. Nice easy read, very high yield. I may be kinda biased though because it was written by my program director (Tim Erickson). There is another handbook that is really good: Poisoning & Toxicology Handbook by Leikin, Jerrold B. Leikin, he is at the toxikon fellowhip in chicago (combined UIC/CCH tox fellowhip).

When I did a tox rotation at UCSD, we used the California Poison Control Center's something-"Poisonings"-something-something book. It was a really great, concise resource that fits in a big white coat pocket. Easy to read--outline format, but plenty of details about mechanism, symptomatology, and management.

Members don't see this ad :)
Izlude_Tingel said:
Hi,

DJ
NYU sells you the "tox packet," which is a bunch of to-the-point tox notes and monographs. I think they charge $25.

When are you doing tox at NYU? I'm doing a rotation there last week of June/first three weeks of July.

I recommend NOT buying that book. I got it for free at the bellevue tox conference. I didn't use it on my tox rotation at bellevue either. As a fourth year, get the tox secrets book. Its great. All the basics you need. Well written

You can always browse over the NYU book, and then decide if you want to buy it. I have both the NYU book and tox secrets, and find the NYU book to be more indepth. The NYU book is more like a mini-textbook, while the secrets is question and answer format. Sometimes it was nice to read the material in the NYU book, then "test" my knowledge with the secrets book. Anyway, it's totally up to you though, and which format you prefer...

pinbor1 said:
Tox Secrets for EM is a great book. I used it during my 4th year tox rotation. Nice easy read, very high yield. I may be kinda biased though because it was written by my program director (Tim Erickson). There is another handbook that is really good, but I can't remember the title off hand. I think one of the authors is Jerry Leikin out here at toxikon.

i agree... i took this rotation, too (and will soon be working for dr. erickson) and thought this book was great... the lange book (CDMT?) wasn't bad either, but for the money, the tox secrets is the way to go.

oh, and if you get stumped, Goldfrank's can't hurt (and isn't Dr. Goldfrank at NYU? I don't remember...)

good luck on the rotation... tox is a whole lotta fun. =)

-t

a great tox text is olson's posioning and drug overdose (lange medical text)....

(it's either olsen or olson) ... it's on amazon for about 50 bucks

jazz said:
a great tox text is olson's posioning and drug overdose (lange medical text)....

(it's either olsen or olson) ... it's on amazon for about 50 bucks

That's what the one I was thinking of is.......

I'd like to recommend Junkie by William S. Burroughs, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Tests by Tom Wolfe, and Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas by Hunter S. Tompson.

I'm only half kidding. Drug literature taught me a lot about toxidromes.