A Good Word About AZCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aloha Kid

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I know all of you must be deciding what school to apply to and what schools not to apply to. I would like to put in a good word for AZCOM.

I am currently a first year medical student at AZCOM and am enjoying every bit of the program. The facilities are awesome, my classmates are great, and I really feel the school is genuinely concerned about our well being and education.

I almost overlooked this school when I was applying last year because it was only established in 1996. Since then, I am so glad and relieved the I did apply, was accepted, and matriculated. This school is going places.

If any of you have any bit of interest, then check AZCOM out. No, I'm not working for the office of admissions. I'm nothing more than a satisfied student.

Members don't see this ad.

I will be visiting in less than two weeks for my interview. I am impressed overall by the student satisfaction and cooperative atmosphere. I can't wait to see for myself. Thanks for the words of encouragement. ;)

I am awaiting responses to my secondaries and interview dates; I hope I hear from AZCOM since it is among my top choices. However, I have heard some disturbing news and would like clarification from someone there. I heard that AZCOM's 3rd and 4th year students are on their own to find training facilities since AZCOM doesn't have its own hospital. Is this true? If so, does it pose that big of a problem to AZCOM students? Is the school going to partner with a hospital close by in the future?

Second Question is about Glendale. I know that location should not be a limiting factor, but I have heard some horror stories about the area from people who lived in Phoenix(not exactly a great city in its own right). What is it like? Where do most students live, near campus? :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, all! I'm a classmate of the Aloha Kid, taking a study break for a few minutes. I pretty much agree with his comments re the program. I have an extra futon at my house, and have signed up with the admissions office to host some of you interviewees, so hopefully I will meet some of you!
Now let me answer some of Sport's questions. To my knowledge the 3rd and 4th years are not thrown out cold in the night and left to find their rotations as best they can. The Phoenix area has 1.2 million people, is expected to double in the next 5 years and there are plenty of hospitals in the valley. Students wanting to rotate in the Phoenix area list their top choices and then enter a lottery for preferences. The clinical education office is active and helpful in setting up the rotations. Students who wish to rotate out of state can do so, but have to coordinate it through the clinical ed office. I have many contacts in the upper classes, and I have not yet heard any discouraging comments about their rotations. In fact, the clinical program is progressive and students are meatched with individual preceptors in each year and in rotations. Consequently, the 3rd and 4th year students get to alot more procedures than would be normal with typical hospital hierarchical rotations. I have been told of 3rd years getting to install central lines, which one would usually have to wait until at least internship to do. You will hear more about this when you interview.
Phoenix is not the little shop of horrors that you have been led to believe. It is a large city and has the same problems with congestion that are typical of most. Many students live in apartments very close to campus, but all types of housing is available. Glendale is an incorporated suburb of Phoenix, and the school is located in a very nice and accessible area. I think that you will be favorably impressed when you visit. Just keep an open mind and decide for yourself after you have seen and heard everything. Good luck!

muonwhiz,

Thanks for the reply. What I heard was all hearsay and my imagination took over from there. Your first hand knowledge puts a lot of worries to rest. Maybe I'll be using that futun if and when I come to interview.

I'd like to underscore all the positive comments I've seen about the school. Being an MS-II, I can say that it is a great place. They do an excellent job at preparing you through the first two years and with a little coordination on your part, you can turn your 3rd and 4th years into as good an experience as you want. My only regret is that I didn't cancel my other interviews, go w/ AZCOM instantly and save lots of $.

Any of you interviewing out here feel free to email me and maybe we can meet for lunch and talk about the school.

[email protected]