a GPA question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

algae

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking through the osteopathic schools information book on the AACOMAS web page. For quite a few schools, they list a minimum 2.7 GPA to be considered for admission. Does anyone know of any occasion when someone with such a low GPA has been accepted? If not, then why would they even write this?

Members don't see this ad.

Nope... everyone I know that got into an osteo med school has above 2.8gpa.... Sorry

THe reason they do that is because after all, Medical Schools are businesses (sp). So they wont as many people to apply to pay the application fee. At least that is my reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would think that the only people get accepted with such a low GPA are those who have extensive "life experience" or other circumstances in their lives that separate them from the crowd.

To really be competitive, you need to be closer to the schools' average.

According to some sources, fewer than 3% of matriculated medical students have a GPA below 3.0.

Tim,

Do you mind me asking where you go to medical school? Thanks.

Mind? Nah.

You can click on the little profile icon at the top of my posts, or I can just tell you: The State University of New York Downstate Medical Center (Health Science Center at Brooklyn) College of Medicine.

Never heard of it? Yeah, I know. Neither has 99% of the US population. The 1% probably lives in its immediate neighborhood or works there. ;)

Sorry to burst your bubble, but most of the standards are set by the state and are equal for all medical schools in that state, be they allopathic or osteopathic. Don't be concerned about minimums--check averages. btw, the minimums are bunk anyway, because they are allowed x number of spots to go below minimums to meet affirmative action requirements (or whatever they're called now). Numbers get you an interview--experience and interview get you in the school.

Turtleboard,

Duh! Why didn't I think of checking your profile before asking you where you went to school!?!?! Anyways, to answer your question...yeah I have heard of SUNY-Downstate. I think it's a good school. Best Wishes to ya!

Atlas