A higher power? or just coincidence?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. H

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I got a break so I thought I'd share a little story. This may sound unbelievable, but after hearing this you will want to believe in a higher power. So, I got hit by a car about one month ago. Nothing serious, but I was required to wear a neck brace. I come in to the doc's office for my checkup a few weeks later. WE start to talking and he asks me what it is I do, I said I'm a neuroscience major at UW-Mad. Well, he responded by saying "holy ****", and told me that not only is he a neurosurgeon, but he's on the admissions committee for the UW medical school. He gave me some hints on how to get in, he gave me his card and told me to swing by so we can go over my app. Man, I was in shock. Medical school has a lot to do with who you know I guess. But wow, I guess there really is a reason for everything. Anyone else have any impossible coincedences?
peace

Members don't see this ad.

This is kinda along the same lines, but not as dramatic:)

Back in the beinning of December I had yet to be asked to interview at either of my state schools, and I really wanted to go to one of them. On a Thursday I finally got a letter asking me to interview at one of them. I gave them a call first thing Friday morning and they were like, "oh we have an opening, can you come in on Wednesday?" Of course I say ok. I was amazed because most people I know had to wait at least two months to get a date.

Then I go to my interview, and I get an interviewer that I totally click with. She tells me how she is glad the class isn't full yet and how it's so hard to interview people later on in the cycle because the class is full, and she feels bad, blah blah.

Low and behold less than a month later, on Dec. 31st I get a call from the Dean saying I'm IN! He also mentioned that my interviewer had a lot of really good things about me and played a large part in my acceptance.

If I hadn't gotten that interview day I wouldn't even had interviewed yet! I don't even really believe in a higher power, but this is just a little eerie, it's like I am "supposed" to be there or something. Pretty cool.

Sorry to say I don't have any medical school-related coincidences, but I do have one from when I was applying to undergraduate programs.

For the Harvard undergrad application process, I was interviewed by an alum who is a Pediatrician near where I live. The interview went pretty well and I was optimistic about everything. Well, when I got home my mom asked me how the interview was and who conducted it. When I told her the doctor's name she was like, "Oh my god! He almost killed you as a baby!" As it turned out, the pediatrician who interviewed me on behalf of Harvard was also my pediatrician when I was a baby. My mom had come to him when I had some mild affliction (earache I think) and he had prescribed some medication for me. Later that night when my mom went in to feed me, I was still asleep. Tried as she could, she couldn't wake me up. My mom then rushed me to the ER, scared that I had lapsed into a coma or something. At the ER, the nurses told my mother that the doctor had inadvertantly switched the dose/frequency numbers around on the script. So, instead of getting 2 teaspoons every 4 hours, my mom was instructed to give me 4 teaspoons every 2 hours!! Needless to say, I was over medicated. After cutting the dosage I was fine.

My only regret is that my mom told me this story AFTER the interview. If only I had known, I could've blackmailed my interviewer. :wink: Harvard was the only school from which I received a rejection. :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
mrhdream sending you a private message on this topic..

I have one, but it's not very dramatic. At the University of Arizona interviews, they give each interviewee a closed envelope containing the name of your interviewer. They ask you to open it and if you know the person, etc. you're interviewing with. Well, one girl in our group was a student of her interviewer, so she had to switch. The director asked her to switch interviewers with me. Not only was it a great interview (who happened to tell me that he'll highly recommend me), but the girl who I switched with had a "not-so-great" interview experience. So it worked out well for me.

Joe

FYI: There are no such thing as coincidences!!

let us know if you get in... that might be more convincing. :p

Here's my story:

I've wanted to be a doctor since I was a kid, but I grew up pretty poor. I put myself through college and then took time off afterwards because I couldn't afford to apply. Well, this year I applied, but was still short on $ when the time to pay AMCAS came around. At the same time, I got a letter in the mail from the gov't saying that they made a mistake and never sent me my tax refund last year. (which they did) I called them up and told them that I had received a refund. They said that because they had no record of sending it, they had to send it again. The funny part is, the amount of my refund was the exact cost of my AMCAS fees, to the penny. Funny, huh?

Those are some pretty cool stories people. Its nice to take a little break from everything and just step back and take a look at all the "little" things that happen around us.

ok I was interviewed by some guy at Duke. One week later, I was at the neuroscience conference in San Diego with 28,000 other attendees. Someone called my name and I turned around to see who it was. ALAS!...none other than my interviewer at Duke. I'm still impressed that he remembered my name.

...Definitely higher power; No question.

ok one more. This is not directly related to admission. I was at Pritzker getting lost as I usually do wherever I go. I asked some random MS2 in the hallway for directions. We started talking and I found out her parents are Nigerian, her dad was in the surgery department at Univ of Rochester in the early '80s, and they lived in some place called Wipple Park at the time. As you have guessed, all of the above are exactly true for me as well. I got home and told my sister (she's older so she remembers stuff) about it and she was shocked that I didn't remember the gir1. I am yet to email her and tell her that we are long lost family friends. I interviewed there in Nov so it's been a while; I hope I remember to do it before I totally forget AGAIN. Oh well.

<b>Great story! Good luck. Yes, if you have good grades, it is a GREAT help to know people. If you have less than great grades, is is help. God bless, Frank.

Hey Original,

Speaking of coincidences, I was at that Neuroscience conference too! in November, right?

girl99,

Cool! Yes it was in Nov. It might even be more of a coincidence than we know; maybe we saw each other. That thing was so freaking huge that I didn't see my mentor for all 5 days I was there even though I was searching for the guy. It's funny that if I was hidding from him as I usually am, I'm de@d sure we would have run into each other several times even.