A- in Organic Chemistry 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDaddict

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So how will Adcoms or acceptance committees view this? I know this might seem like a stupid question, but if you've had straight A's for 2 quarters then A- in organic, does that raise a flag, or put u at disadvantage (given that your freshman year was quite terrible).

I might be worrying alot, but i cant help but think about it.
Thanks!

UPDATE:
OK i really dont want to seem like a "troll" or whatever, but really. My situation was that I really messed up my first Year and half (so Freshman AND half of sophomore year). Ive been busting off straight A's to salvage my GPA, and I might end up with an A- on it. Im just thinking that since so much emphasis is placed on that course, it might just hurt my chances of getting into med school. That's all...I appreciate the feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So how will Adcoms or acceptance committees view this? I know this might seem like a stupid question, but if you've had straight A's for 2 quarters then A- in organic, does that raise a flag, or put u at disadvantage (given that your freshman year was quite terrible).

Thanks!

My pre-health adviser always answers those questions by:

"You should give up medical school and become a nurse, at least there you may have a chance"

Seriously, shut the **** up.

:eyebrow: .......... You'll be fine... adcoms will not notice an A-. Think general trends.

I'm sorry OP, but you are an absolute idiot if you think discussing the negative implications of this A- is a worthwhile pursuit. Honestly. Where are your critical thinking skills? Is it only an ok grade if someone else tells you it is?

1261356814247.jpg

a friend of mine w/ almost all As and A- in the organics... and 42 MCAT didn't get into any medical school because of the A-'s in orgo.

seriously dude.. A- in organic is somewhat of an achievement

an A- in ochem? yea thats a bad grade :p

Last edited:
LOL, people would kill for an A- in orgo. Don't sweat it.

1st instinct: TROLL
2nd: Shut the &^%^ up

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't believe how stupid some people are...

never seen so many STFUs in one thread.

OP delivered.

15nmwaw.jpg

i am 12 and i know exactly wat this is

trollface.jpg

OP, an A- in O chem is not the end of the world. I realize that as application time approaches, pre-professional students become more and more neurotic. Relax. It's the C's, D's, and E's (F's) you should worry about.

Not everyone in this forum is a troll... oh... wait a minute... :smuggrin:

26000Troll1.jpg

amidoinitrite?

After getting demoralized my my 3rd Organic exam yesterday, your thread is beyond annoying. I'll take my B+ or whatever. Perhaps I'll start a thread on B+'s and whether or not this relegates me to medical school in Moldova or Sri Lanka. Maybe I should just change from Neuroscience to a janitorial studies major and be a brilliant janitor like in Good Will Hunting. I could solve complex synthesis problems at night...

Actually OP, I'm surprised you are only worried about med school. After all, the social, political, and indeed, even economic implications of such a grade are simply staggering. This is really a societal concern, and I'm upset that you are just now warning us of the impending doom.

Kidding aside OP, maybe this harsh criticism will open your eyes a bit. There are, after all, more important things than grades, and yes, even getting in to med school. Have a little fun while you still can.

If you get an A- in Ochem II as well, the universe will probably implode.

In other news, my last orgo exam had a class average of 27%. The things I would do for an A-....

acbrbo.jpg

don't listen to what these people are saying, they are just trying to get into your head.

honestly, you should try to consider retaking the class. Talk to your advisor and ask if there's a summer course available to retake it. u can get an A during the summer and then it'd be like having something between an A and A-. This way, adcom would know that even though you screwed up the first time, you still relearnt the stuff for med school.

orgo is too important, you can't afford an A-.

oh, how do i know? personal experience. got an A-, spoke to adcom and she's basically like, if you can retake and get an A, you'll be okay.

Wtf are you guys talking about? The OP is fine - I'm sure DO schools aren't going to worry much about one A-. Not like he's applying MD or anything.

don't listen to what these people are saying, they are just trying to get into your head.

honestly, you should try to consider retaking the class. Talk to your advisor and ask if there's a summer course available to retake it. u can get an A during the summer and then it'd be like having something between an A and A-. This way, adcom would know that even though you screwed up the first time, you still relearnt the stuff for med school.

orgo is too important, you can't afford an A-.

In case you are bad at detecting sarcasm, DO NOT retake. That's nuts. Honestly, I wouldn't be worried about it AT ALL.

A- omg you probably like mudkipz too

10/10 Troll Job. Your post edit was a brilliant counter-troll; people can learn from this. Kudos.

If you aren't trolling, you deserve to get hit by a bus. That being said... I wouldn't settle for anything less than an A, in any class.

seriously.... i think its about time you give up with that sort of grade... But if you're looking to pull up your grade, I'm sure this will help...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekc1Xt6gMLs[/YOUTUBE]

You gotta be kidding

I would be happy if I get a B- in Orgo I this semester :scared:

The fact that you even asked this question makes me doubt you've ever achieved an A in anything.

Thanks!

UPDATE:
OK i really dont want to seem like a "troll" or whatever, but really. My situation was that I really messed up my first Year and half (so Freshman AND half of sophomore year). Ive been busting off straight A's to salvage my GPA, and I might end up with an A- on it. Im just thinking that since so much emphasis is placed on that course, it might just hurt my chances of getting into med school. That's all...I appreciate the feedback.

Seriously? Im at a loss of words as to what to tell you. A lot of us are in a much worse situation than you are. Perhaps your mother can help you better with this crisis you face.

:confused: A- seems like a good grade to me. I'd be satisfied if I got one in orgo this semester.

In other news, my last orgo exam had a class average of 27%. The things I would do for an A-....

:scared: That must have been a crazy exam.

Wow I just got on here and this is the first thread that I happen to see. Someone crying over an A- in orgo. The things my friends told me about this site aren't that far off.

Good hunting.

Yes, getting slightly below a perfect grade in a class that is nicknamed "The Pre-Med Graveyard" at my school is grounds for not getting into medical school.

seriously.... i think its about time you give up with that sort of grade... But if you're looking to pull up your grade, I'm sure this will help...

[YOUTUBE]Ekc1Xt6gMLs[/YOUTUBE]

Haha, that was great. "Too bad we wasted 8 weeks on Pi orbitals, they still look like balloon animals to me!" I did a similar rant when I had to take Calculus, Org. Chem 1, and Pysch exams all back-to-back last Thursday..:bang:

Last edited:
All he was looking for was and ego boost and pat on the the back from everyone, typical from many overachieving premed/science types.

Allow me, An A- is great man! you are so smart I wish I could have scored an A-, you are very smart, good job!

theres no A- at my school. It's soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo nice :)

Ochem's kicking my ASS.
the exam yesterday killed my weekend.
enough said.

My perspective as someone who just finished interviews:

It's so much less of a big deal than everyone makes it out to be. Just take it do as well as you can and get through it. At my school it was _very tough_. People would fail at my small liberal arts school, then go down the road about 30 minutes and take it at a 'public ivy' and make an A. I ended up with a B+ and a B in the courses (my only B's in college). I was VERY worried that it would hurt my interview chances or that people would bring it up at interviews, but I've had 7 interviews (applied to 8 schools) and not one person has brought it up ever. No one cares. Especially about an A-.

If I could go back in time to talk to myself the first thing I'd say is to "calm the hell down" take my advice. Enjoy the class - its not worth the stress.