1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

A La Carte Post Bacc in Chicago

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by wookiewookie, Aug 10, 2011.

1. wookiewookie

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi Everyone - long time lurker, first time poster.
    I am non-traditional pre med and am reluctant to pursue a formal post bacc program due to its HUGE cost, so I am going at this 'a la carte'. My question is whether or not anyone has any experience with shopping around for evening/weekend classes at the Chicago undergrad universities? I am having a hard time finding one school where I can take the rest of my pre meds and am scared that taking classes at a bunch of different universities will look bad??
    FYI – my undergrad degree is liberal arts from private college with GPA of 3.1, which sucks……….
    I am taking Gen CHM II and Trigonometry (to get to calculus) this fall semester 2011 at cc. This past spring semester 2011, I took BIO A&P and Gen CHM I at this same cc and the learning experience was truly exceptional. Their facilities were spectacular and their faculty was very high quality. I would love to continue as many of my pre-med courses at this cc for many of the obvious reasons: much lower tuition costs and much more flexible class time offerings. However, I understand that it can look bad on applications, so I need to take some/many of the higher courses at a 4 year university.
    Does anyone know of any schools that are geared towards working adults in Chicago (w/o doing formal post bacc)? Am I shooting myself in the foot by not doing formal post bacc?
    Also, what are some other suggestions in addition to volunteer work that I can add to my extracurricular list (I’m planning on having 150-200 volunteer hours)? I'm looking for the obvious research opportunity, but am aware this is unlikely. I am also looking for any leadership opportunities or anything that will help me out.
    Any help is appreciated!!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. NeandertalWoman

Removed

Just apply to a 4-year public university as a continuing education student.

4. vc7777

vc7777 Nontrad MD/MS Resident
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    OP, best to ask that your thread be moved to the non-trad forum

And the short answer you will get from the nontrads (including myself) is No, you are not shooting yourself in the foot. I also did a DIY post-bacc, but mine was a little more like Dim Sum. :hungover: