1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

A La Carte Post Bacc in Chicago

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by wookiewookie, Aug 10, 2011.

1. wookiewookie

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi Everyone - long time lurker, first time poster.
    I am non-traditional pre med and am reluctant to pursue a formal post bacc program due to its HUGE cost, so I am going at this 'a la carte'. My question is whether or not anyone has any experience with shopping around for evening/weekend classes at the Chicago undergrad universities? I am having a hard time finding one school where I can take the rest of my pre meds and am scared that taking classes at a bunch of different universities will look bad??
    FYI – my undergrad degree is liberal arts from private college with GPA of 3.1, which sucks……….
    I am taking Gen CHM II and Trigonometry (to get to calculus) this fall semester 2011 at cc. This past spring semester 2011, I took BIO A&P and Gen CHM I at this same cc and the learning experience was truly exceptional. Their facilities were spectacular and their faculty was very high quality. I would love to continue as many of my pre-med courses at this cc for many of the obvious reasons: much lower tuition costs and much more flexible class time offerings. However, I understand that it can look bad on applications, so I need to take some/many of the higher courses at a 4 year university.
    Does anyone know of any schools that are geared towards working adults in Chicago (w/o doing formal post bacc)? Am I shooting myself in the foot by not doing formal post bacc?
    Also, what are some other suggestions in addition to volunteer work that I can add to my extracurricular list (I’m planning on having 150-200 volunteer hours)? I'm looking for the obvious research opportunity, but am aware this is unlikely. I am also looking for any leadership opportunities or anything that will help me out.
    Any help is appreciated!!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. NeandertalWoman

Removed

Just apply to a 4-year public university as a continuing education student.

4. vc7777

vc7777 Nontrad MD/MS Resident
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    OP, best to ask that your thread be moved to the non-trad forum

And the short answer you will get from the nontrads (including myself) is No, you are not shooting yourself in the foot. I also did a DIY post-bacc, but mine was a little more like Dim Sum. :hungover: