A "later in life" career change???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

discgolfdc

Chiropractor / Pre-Med??
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings to all. It is certainly a different world out there, this time around.

My “road to medical school” story begins at a time when a good number of people in this forum, who are just now applying to and getting accepted/rejected/waitlisted by various medical schools, were taking their first steps into kindergarten. Now that I’ve successfully made myself feel old…

In the interest of being succinct, suffice it to say that I:

• had started medical school in the Caribbean (at Ross University) in 1993, which was a huge mistake (I turned down admission to NYU’s Kriser School of Dentistry to go),
  • made application (and re-application) to numerous allopathic and osteopathic schools during 1994-1998, thinking that a result of non-admission was probably a “sign from God,”
  • had a number of halfway decent “connections” that I, at least, thought, at the time, would help to better my chances of admission to one or two of them,
  • decided, after being treated by a chiropractor, that chiropractic would be a fantastic means of helping people in (for lack of a better expression) a “less formal” environment.
I am now a chiropractor, licensed in four states, and have been since 2003. Chiropractic is a fantastic field, but without going into the nitty-gritty, here, as to why, I am getting the itch to apply to medical schools again.

I don’t really know what applying is like out there, nowadays. Certainly, all the “online” amenities weren’t available back then (I’m starting to feel like the proverbial grandfather who tells his grandchildren about how he walked to school on tennis rackets in the snow, uphill, both ways!). The process seems to be much the same, but with more conveniences thrown in the mix.

I graduated summa cum laude, salutatorian of my graduating class, so, though really anything could happen, my application might get some consideration these days. Finally!

Here’s the thing. I’m recently married, I now own a home with my wife, and I’m faced with a considerable decision. There’s also the advent of the fact that I’ve already racked up a decent aggregate graduate loan amount.

I guess I’m reaching out to anyone who may either be in my position or know someone in my position who might have some insight as to how this all worked out for them, or just anyone who might have some thoughts with regard to this topic. I understand that everyone’s circumstances are as unique as they are, so I’m just beginning to take it all in. I welcome everyone to comment on whatever happens in this thread. It should be an interesting one. I’m also open to answering any questions people have about my past experience. It sure has been a very odd road to have traveled.

Based solely on proximity, I am considering the University of Cincinnati’s College of Medicine (for allopathic) and Ohio University’s College of Osteopathic Medicine (for, well, osteopathic).

Thanks to all, and hope this thread becomes a good one!!

Dr. J. L.

Members don't see this ad.

Duplicate threads are a violation of terms of service on SDN. Which one do you want to keep open? I'd recommend Non-Traditional.

Based solely on proximity, I am considering the University of Cincinnati's College of Medicine (for allopathic) and Ohio University's College of Osteopathic Medicine (for, well, osteopathic).

Mistake. A person in your shoes will need to apply very broadly. I ended up applying to about 18 states. Applying to only two schools would be risky bordering on foolish.

I'd recommend speaking to an admissions counsellor to hear their thoughts about your application. Given that there is a healthy amount of prejudice against chiropractors and the fact that you've applied to medical school multiple times already, have attended and dropped out of medical school once, and have applied to dental schools, I think you need to tread very tactfully for success.

Your call on which forum you want this thread under. Pre-Allo forum gets the most traffic, but a majority of users are 19-22 yo without much experience to help you. Non-Trad would have a lot of folks returning to school after other careers, but there's less traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.