Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

A letter directly to the dean? (I doubt it)

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by relentless11, Apr 2, 2004.

1. relentless11

relentless11 Going broke and loving it
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi guys,

My research professor confronted me with a interesting proposal today. A little background info is in order first. My research professor is an international expert on med pathology, full time professor at our med school, and director of clinical chemistry at our hospital. I have been priviledged enough to have served with him as a research assistant for 4 years now. I have gotten to know him and his family very well.

He seems adament on getting me into a med school, but would love it if i got into our med school (so do i) since I would be able to continue to work with him as a PhD candidate for the MD/PhD program. Based on that, he asked me today if it would help if he wrote a personal letter to our dean of admissions. I don't know if this is even possible. Heck, he even said he's never done such a thing before so doesn't even know if it'll work. But at the very least I should feel honored for him suggesting such a thing. I was personally content on doing the click send on AMCAS, crossing my fingers and praying.

So pretty much, has anyone even tried or even heard of anyone doing such a thing. That is, having high ranking med school faculty member talk directly to the head person? Do they even accept such letters? I don't know? I want to say though, if the dean just read the letter, and allowed me to get to a secondary or interview, i would be ecstatic. Would it hurt to try?

Well any insight would be appreciated, because this is truly an unconventional situation for me, albeit potentially a good situation.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. LP1CW

LP1CW Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

it's a great thing. It's going to help you, for sure. All of wish we could have an advocate like that.

4. CalBeE

7+ Year Member

Seriously, GO AND DO IT LIKE TODAY!

I don't think Med school mind receiving unconventional stuff, and having a letter from a well-known person (credibility) on campus helps, especially when the letter is personal and strong.

5. Newquagmire

15+ Year Member

Most of us here would call that a Letter of Recommendation =)

6. Sharkfan

Sharkfan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    What are you waiting for?? Hop on it!! Now!!

7. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    YES, YES, YES and YEs. Have him send it like right this minute!!!!

8. relentless11

Pre-Medical
    Wow. So i guess don't send it huh? jk...

Didn't know it was something THAT big. I have always thought that letters sent outside the standard process would just be thrown out the window.

So what kind of time frame do you guys suggest? Right after i submit my AMCAS? Before? I'm assuming worse case scenario here that i don't get a secondary so what you guys think.

I'm going to also consult with our advisors to see if the dean of admissions would be the right man to send it to. We apparently have a director of admissions to. So confusing.

9. Amy B

Resident [Any Field]
    Send it to the dean of admission and copy the director of admissions and the dean of the med school. I know this from personal experience.

10. omores

omores sleep deprived
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You might want to wait until after you get a secondary, though. Otherwise the letter may well end up in limbo since they won't have a file for you yet.

11. relentless11

Pre-Medical
    Hmmm good idea. I'm meeting with our director on Tuesday to have him go over my prospective application. Perhaps I should ask him/let him know? The good news about CCing the dean of the med school since he knows of me. He was a contributer to one of our recent research studies.

Not sure about waiting until secondaries, since with the UC's, they do an initial screen process. For all I know, i may never get a secondary:(. So might be worth it to risk sending it after sending the primary application?

12. Amy B

Resident [Any Field]
    I would strongly suggest you send it when the new application session begins in June. Send it to the school the same week you submit your AMCAS application.

I don't agree with the posters that suggested you wait. They will create a file for you. I would send them a letter first stating that you are applying this summer and would like to have the letter put into a file for you so that it can be considered with your application.

13. CalBeE

7+ Year Member

Normally the UC won't want people to send in LOR before the secondary. But if you meet with the Dean/Director of Admission and deliver that letter, it may be fine.

14. relentless11

Pre-Medical
    ^Yea thats what I was thinking. My research professor is planning to just mail it directly to the man. Bypassing our pre-health commitee, etc.

15. It didn't work for me. I had a well-respected neurologist at Stony Brook who speaks around the world personally go down to the admissions office and speak on my behalf, but I was rejected pre-interview from my state school/school I've worked at since high school. Who cares though, stony brook and long island can go suck a big one. Philly is better.