A Letter to APA Regarding the Internship Imbalance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
While I can see some merit to requiring that for all levels, I do have a few objections. One is that it is going to require a major paradigm shift since post-docs, for the most part, have not had to undergo approval. That shouldn't be an absolute barrier but there are some definite pragmatic issues that I'd want to see addressed. One of my bigger concerns is actually for research-focused post-docs, which frequently come from grant-funding and are often in pretty incredible training environments, but the nature of the positions is such that accreditation would be complex. If a world-renowned therapy researcher gets a major grant, would they have to submit approval to bring a post-doc on for this position? If there is a one-year gap without grant funding, would accreditation need to be renewed? This would also likely mean that anyone entering a faculty position straight from graduate school is forever abandoning hope of licensure. Again - I think that can be addressed but it would need to be.

My bigger concern is that at this point, any move by APA to effect licensure has seemed driven more by sour grapes and desire to maintain its crap-opoly than actual desire to improve outcomes. They recently attempted to have written into laws their individual requirements in an attempt to short-circuit the APS/PCSAS movement to develop an alternative (more legitimate, in my view) outcome-focused accreditation body. While my posts here should make it obvious I'm all for raising standards, at this point I have little respect for them and am reluctant to support legislation that places them as the undisputed captain of the quality ship. PCSAS is certainly not without flaw either, and I disagree with aspects of their approach, but do believe they are at least pushing the field in the right direction moreso than APA at the present time. There are certainly alternative ways these laws could be written that would achieve a similar purpose, and I would whole-heartedly support. The specification of APA as the ultimate arbiter is what I object to, and until I see some turnabout in how that organization operates, I'm not convinced would be a long-term solution anyhow.

Members don't see this ad.

I sent the link to a couple of the admins for psych-related pages that I have *liked* on FB. Hopefully they will approve me to post the link. Beyond this, should we perhaps contact Dr. Greg Keilien to see if it is OK to distribute using APPIC list serve?

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent the link to a couple of the admins for psych-related pages that I have *liked* on FB. Hopefully they will approve me to post the link. Beyond this, should we perhaps contact Dr. Greg Keilien to see if it is OK to distribute using APPIC list serve?

I sent the link with a brief e-mail to some training directors of university-based clinical programs who are sympathetic to the problem of the internship imbalance.

Might I suggest a small rephrasing?
Because it is clear that a few programs are responsible for many of these problems, we strongly believe that regulation is needed to address these issues, rather than relying on the internship process to 'weed out' graduate students after huge amounts of time and money have been invested.
Hi Jon,

Thanks for your response. I was trying to rework this sentence:

While it is clear that a few programs are responsible for much of these problems, we do not believe the "weeding out" process should be conducted on the back-end, after huge amounts of time and money have been invested, but on the front-end.

Perhaps if 'the few programs' are not a target for regulation, that portion of the sentence is not necessary at all...in either my sentence or yours. looks like this baby is set to sail, anyhow...

Thanks for your work on this.

Last edited:
Yes, thank you too, JSnow. Though I can’t help but feel cheated that the petition is released – it seems there was little true intention to promote dialogue to help shape it. More important to polish the talking points and fire away armed with the astounding certainty that all relevant factors have been acknowledged. My whole point was to argue that not all FSPS are the same, that perhaps even the offenders can be remedied in a less disruptive, meaningful, valuable way than simply tearing them down.

I didn't generalize about FSPS.

You have, and still do.

I said the line between FSPS and university programs is blurry. The problem is within the professional schools (http://www.ncspp.info/), but it's not all of them.

That you did, but your posts make it painfully obvious you’re no advocate, either.

I do think FSPS are a blight on clinical psychology, but that's not what this letter is about. I am not specifically targeting free standing schools.

Yes you avoided naming FSPS as a class in the letter, but your prejudices shine through. And on this forum you all-too-often simply yank the chain of those who may be more militant. That’s just one SDNer’s perspective. Those who back this petition are more or less gunning at FSPS in the belief that they have not made and can not make meaningful contributions to psychology – worse, that the public health is on the line. When asked for proof of inferior product, this group has but its own fear of a wounded authoritative status and a deep hit to the pocketbook.

Many jobs requires APA certification. The VA is one large example, but there are many others.

Oy the VA. Greed is not good, but neither is being in service to the military industrial complex. At a basic level, the two are not different.

Realize also that private practices, internship sites, postdocs, etc.. . . are run by people with opinions. Many in the field see these issues similarly.

First, a word from Led Zep -- “Many is a word/that only leaves you guessing/guessing ‘bout a thing/you really ought to know…”

Anyway, yes. You make my point as well – PPs, internship sites, postdocs, etc., are run by people not simply with opinions about but needs for the services being supplied by folks from FSPS. In drafting this petition there was not a single word other than mine about what these programs are to do when the blighted doctoral level services they have been contracting for simply “go away.” Ironically you want to talk about decreasing stress and helping the community – stirring a civil war within (really more like a suicide by) psychology does little to help the community.

If I were hiring someone, I would not select someone from a non-apa program, an FSPS, nor most psyd programs. But that's me. Your mileage may vary.

I wonder what kind of work you’d offer – all due respect – it’s debatable whether I’d sniff twice.

The way I see CAPIC is as part of that system of professional schools that mostly ignore/circumvent APA. I see this as a somewhat hostile attempt at a takeover.

Guess I have a bit of history to brush up on this summer. Why would I believe you’re offering anything but spin? What does CAPIC say of its roots and mission vis-à-vis APPIC?

More than 50% of our new grads come from professional schools, many of those students are from FSPSs and for-profit, devry/university of phoenix like businesses. These programs have very high acceptance rates compared to other programs, lower entry scores (GRE, GPA) and average lower match rates to APA internships and EPPP scores. Populating our field with these folks gives these programs political power in our field. I would like for that to go away.

I guess you’d ask me to ignore the fact that there is a longstanding debate about training models… Fine, let’s just say one size fits all for psychology and the public it serves. No wonder you make sweeping generalizations about FSPS and lump them in with For Profit professional schools.

There are data to support a difference. What's your metric?

It’s becoming clear that my metric is not your metric, no? I and others have asked you to prove that the FSPS as a class have contributed to worsening public health, to answer for the idea that your proposals will have not simply pros but cons, and to have a more honest look at the all-too-real seeming possibility that the cons may actually be the very worsening of the public health you blame others for.

But, we should be doing credit risks in academics. Personally, I'd like to start by chopping off the programs that exist totally based on student loans and have high default rates. To me, that's the alliant/argosy contingent. On general principle, I'd like to see them gone regardless of the quality of the professionals they produce (though, I think there's evidence, that's not so good in any case).

Yes, credit risks would be prudent. As for the idea that there are institutions that exist totally off student loans? Is that realistic? Absolutely no grant money, no endowment, no interest bearing investments, no volunteer power, nothing? As for the high default rates, yeah, it’s a problem, it’s multifaceted…Tearing down a house is easier than fixing it, and the petition is all about tearing it down because you’re afraid it’ll fall on you (dare I say, “us”?). Not saying you shouldn’t be concerned, but let’s be clear that the political is personal. No doubt, I am fighting mad because the solution you propose seems targets my school as surely as it targets me and my little family who are hugely invested in this project…you would tear down my family’s house? Good luck with that.

Lesser entry requirements, circumventing of our national organization, high representation of businesses instead of traditional academic institutions; among the professional schools of psychology, very few are from even average universities. We have all these boards associated with APA that work to come up with both general standards and specialty practice standards. We are a young field and have enough issues establishing and enforcing standards within the APA-fold. This outs another layer of crap that we have to deal with. That is a public safety issue, in my opinion.

The argument that society is served by having different training models includes the notion that these models may need to use different entry requirements. And perhaps some of these different requirements will be untethered from the dream of an empirically perfect assessment tool. Anyway, as for the business vs. university differentiation – Traditional academic institutions were perhaps once upon a time best seen as charities. But the differences are less than clear. That larger debate aside, universities are not perfect worlds unto themselves nor even perfect reflections of their larger societies. OG has argued that they are superior training environments because of the rich cross-departmental support, but I’ll but there’s a fair amount of rigidity and interdepartmental competition for scarce resources in academia today…

General and practice standards are fine and necessary. To link this to public safety is a weak argument, IMHO. All it takes is one demonstration that there is no detrimental effect to public safety, and your cheese is on the move… In this regard, I cannot help but wonder at the parallels between the arguments presented by PUTATOSOP vis-à-vis FSPS, and the anti-RxP contingent vis-à-vis the pro-RxP folks…

Oh the good old one-syllabler. I have one as well. It’s “Yes.” But it’d be unfair of me to take the credit for that one syllable. The majority of states in the union seem to agree that the CAPIC experience will do just fine, no? Am I wrong on that point?

This is the part that most professionals object to when it comes to the increased #'s of trainees being released into the market. The programs mostly target folks that otherwise would not be remotely competitive for university-based programs.

Not my concern. There is more than enough work to go around if people would stop to think more creatively about human problems.

I have a big problem with CAPIC (and related state level acred. internships) because the only thing limiting even more people flooding the market was internship, and now they are providing an alternative path that was never part of the clinical psychology training model.

CAPIC provides internship sites. That hasn’t been a part of the standard model?

There are no data to support equivalency, the sites often are unfunded and take advantage of students by having them work long hours for free, AND when they finish they are automatically limited by the mere fact they completed a state/local acred. internship.

Need there be data to support equivalency? The argument is in large part that this is a public safety issue. Is there a lack of data there, too? As for limitations – again, I am perhaps under the mistaken impression the overwhelming majority of most states are not screening out the CAPIC folks…

They can't go back and do an APA/APPIC internship....so they are essentially stuck as a 2nd class professional because they can't work at VAs (one of the largest trainers AND employers of psychologists in the USA), most medical centers won't employ them, and many competitive jobs will automatically cut non-APA acred. internship applicants from their application pool. So many often take those: "Required training: LMHC, MSW, PsyD., Ph.D...." type jobs that marginalize doctoral training and pull down salaries by equating our training to that of a 2 year program.

I would sooner have sex with my mother than work in a VA. All the agonizing over lack of money in the field and not one word about the federal military/homeland security budget… Medical centers – meh. I’m not one of the medical manifest destiny types. My guess is there’s more than enough work for folks who want to provide alternatives to that model, though I understand the spirit of collaboration is paramount. As for the “second class” jobs that could be filled by an MSW…The PsyDs and PhDs who take those jobs have my respect. Do you really imagine they are just wallowing in the dreck because they have nothing better to do? For some work in the field is a calling and for others it’s a trophy hunt. As the point is often made re: licensure, at lesser paying jobs the degree is simply the entry level requirement. There will be questions as to why an agency that is strapped for cash should pay for a doctor when it could have a masters level clinician. Once on the job, if the PhD/PsyDs let their training be equated with a lesser degree then that’s their fault.

The community being? The big cities where many of these FSPs are? There are many options, are there not? If APA/whatever boards determine through market analysis that we need more psychologists than we come up with a plan and execute it. The expansion/growth in the professional school community has come about because of demand from students to become psychologists and the schools' desires for money/expansion, not from needs in the field.

We form a committee to consult on the procedures for creating a committee to draft a white paper on the need for concerted action to define the need…and how many lives are left in the balance? We have something in place now.
And Whoa – there’s a quote where you generalize about professional schools! Which ones, again? Are we there yet?

I don't know, but I don't think it would be much of a problem. I could be wrong.

Reminds me of a quip I once heard by a pro bicyclist – “Breaks only slow me down.” :eek::eek:

I'm sure the adjuncts already are serving the community clinically and probably the professors as well (as they don't really do much research at those schools).

Yes, and my point was that once released into the community, they will have projects ripe for new doctoral students to participate in…but who will be available? Oh, right, let’s wait for the committee to draft the procedures for creating a committee…

If they've taken a faculty job at an FSPS, I'm not sure I care about their "visions." That's bottom rung stuff. Plus, their vision includes supporting a training venue/model that I think is bad for the field. I'd prefer they do something else.

Anybody else want to claim the “E” word here? I fear I’ve met my APA approved quota for the year. I wonder how many FSPSers work with folks you know and/or love.

Can you clarify this, I don't understand?

I think I was making the point that if you believe the market can auto-correct, it’s mildly ironic to take an interventionist stance…

This letter is about the internship imbalance. Yes, some of these issues play into that, but one thing at a time!
I have given a loose definition of "scammers/diploma mills." Debt, cohort-size/contribution to unmatched and non-apa internships, low EPPP scores, etc. . . What's wrong with that?

I was merely noting that one of the PATUT’s was in it to shut down the scammers and diploma mills. Might want to yank their chain rather than miine. As for your parameters: cohort size is a non-issue as I have stated in this and my previous post, contribution to unmatched and non-apa internships are being oversold as a public health issue unless we are looking at the way our national wealth is being squandered on the military, low EPPP scores are a statistical unavoidability because someone will always be lowest but also because you can teach to the test.

This is a complicated issue. It also plays into why I think that the FSPs and some other professional school programs are exploitative. They advertise on buses and radio programs, and through internet ads like a business. This reaches people that might not have previously considered a doctorate. That's not necessarily bad, but then they provide easy access (don't have to worry so much about GREs and appropriate experience, some programs present as night school type alternatives, they are in big cities so people don't have to move), charge lots and lots of money, and use a hard sell (they will call students and recruit them hard and actively, they have staff for this purpose; real universities don't do this).

1. The FSPS I attend does not advertise its program on busses, radio programs or SDN banners. The only reason it would be bad if it did would be if it was if the quality of my programming was being compromised to recruit more students. So yes, I agree, it could be worrisome. But your four parameters were not subtle enough to tease out a difference between my program and a program that operates like this.

2. There is quite a large cohort of people who have moved from out of state to attend my program. There are also international students.

3. The rub on many professional programs is that they value experience over academic indicators in their acceptance decisions. Now you are saying that students don’t have to worry about appropriate experience. I guess we are talking about different ideas of breadth, depth, etc.

4. Let me try an alternate reality out on you. You may castigate me all you like, refer me to the age thread, or worse. Just don’t necessarily believe I necessarily believe the formulation: Many folks who go to the unies go because they are drawn by the dream of power and prestige, the dream that their unsullied and unimpeachable rationality will be the highest octane fuel for the progressive machine... They are hooked at a time (late adolescence/early adulthood) when they are most floridly authoritarian. They come out sounding like elitists and work in the VA, or for the pharmaceutical-industrial/medical establishment. They argue that while greed may not be good, they are entitled to big dollars because they’ve paid their dues and their expertise is critical to the running of the machine… No less inflammatory, generalizing, or accurate than your portrait of an FSPS student...

Many people that "hit bottom" be it because of drugs or other things, go into social work and work in communities on the front lines, so to speak. This is very important. And, social work programs actively recruit and want people like this because of their experiences. Often people like this do not have the background to get into a doctorate program or medical school (and this is the hurdle that existed BEFORE the rapid expansion of professional schools of psychology; clinical psychology was as, if not more, competitive than medical school; that is the quality of student that we had as the tapestry for creating the professionals in our field AND we are aggressively lowering that bar).

1. Other things like loss of family, sudden poverty, accident and illness…or simple vow of nonattachment. It’s not us to judge, but you went right to the most polarizing zinger – drug addiction.

2. Also, statistically speaking, people with masters degrees are more likely to come to a PsyD degree, and probably a FPSP. This is not simply about adequate training, but about trainability, too – prejudices against folks who have been around the sun a bit more often not being able to learn or being beyond the age when they can take a protégé role… Often these masters level folks, like myself, have surveyed the field from the trenches and want to be able to take a more leveraged position in advancing the cause. The idea that people should pursue a masters I addressed in my previous post. I’d like to suggest again that the problems facing this society are multiple, complex and open ended. Psychology is a young field, as you have said, and it would dare to cede these problems to the LCSW/MFT crowd? Really? I’m not interested in that, why are you? Because it would mean accepting a rag when we used to have a splendid tapestry? I’m thinking about clinical-community psychology hybrids. Probably not your thing, I don’t expect you to sniff twice, but you would dare to say I, as an FSPS student, am contributing to the blight? I want to believe you’re just being silly ol’ JSnow…

so, people like this (rock bottom and putting themselves back together types) often come from poor backgrounds and don't have a solid appreciation for money; meaning what is a lot of money to earn, what is a lot of debt. I feel that the FSPs of the world exploit these people. Incidentally, this is the case with University of Phoenix/Devry et al. . . and the default rate for student loans in these programs (devry and phoenix, I don't know about the professional schools of psych) is huge.

Oh, before I forget – you’re not generalizing about FSPS….you’re not generalizing about FPS….you’re not generalizing about FSPS…

Social work and psychology serve different purposes. Psychology is a science. Clinical psychology is an applied science. Social work is a different animal, an important one. But, we do different jobs.

Not interested in this argument/option. See the above. I’m thinking about clinical-community psychology hybrids. Maybe you also disparage community psych? I wouldn’t be surprised. In any case the work I’m thinking of is probably not your thing, I don’t expect you to sniff twice, but I’m looking at ways to expand the field, not narrow the scope of practice. You would dare to say I, as an FSPS student, am contributing to the blight? Ooofa. You would say I may take away from a more deserving Unie student? I have folks in my corner, too. You would shut my program down? Not on my watch.

I do not intend to belittle the work you are putting in, or other students at FSPs put in. I believe you (that you work hard, find it rigorous and exhilarating). I also agree with you that many good clinicians come from FPSs. Still, I think, it would be better for the field to shut those programs down (after the current crop of students are done).

I want to believe this. And I recognize that on the anti-PsyD sentiment thread you wish to atone for unnecessarily pissing off professional school students. I don’t mean any disrespect to you as a professional or a person. I wish merely to take issue with your thoughts on the parameters of the profession and how to advance it.

FYI, currently within APA governance there is a movement to require APA accreditation at ALL levels of training (doctoral, internship, post-doc) for licensure. It would have to go through state boards and might not pass everywhere, but it has pretty strong backing. Such a policy would be consistent with nearly every other profession, from hairdressing to medicine, that requires completion of accredited training; that we don't do it is ridiculous.

I do like this idea, in theory.

Here is an edit incorporating OG's parentheses fix and lifeisanillusion's suggestion. It might be too late to add these changes given that a number of people have already signed the petition that has been posted.

Thanks again for all your efforts with this. :)

Just checked and there are still very few signatures. So if you want to add the edits we should do it now. I personally, would rather just disseminate what we have, because we can all edit until the cows come home... it's what we do. ;)

FYI, currently within APA governance there is a movement to require APA accreditation at ALL levels of training (doctoral, internship, post-doc) for licensure. It would have to go through state boards and might not pass everywhere, but it has pretty strong backing. Such a policy would be consistent with nearly every other profession, from hairdressing to medicine, that requires completion of accredited training; that we don't do it is ridiculous.

Huh? For post-docs, isn't APA accreditation rather uncommon and generally limited to neuro or "medical" post-docs? Wouldn't a vast majority of people then be out of luck? It makes sense for program and internship training, but post-doc?

Last edited:
Huh? For post-docs, isn't APA accreditation rather uncommon and generally limited to neuro or "medical" post-docs? Wouldn't a vast majority of people than be out of luck? It makes sense for program and internship training, but post-doc?

I'm guessing that this wouldn't be enforced immediately. Rather, APA would set forth a plan to increase APA-accred. post-docs and then eventually require APA-accred. in the future. If this isn't the case, then I agree with you - waaaaay too many people would be out of luck.

Are we all going to fight about the grammar and syntax of the letter, but not work on getting signatures??

Are we all going to fight about the grammar and syntax of the letter, but not work on getting signatures??

Amen! Can we officially say it is time for us SDNers to start signing? We should be able to generate a healthy number of sigs before we even send through listserves.
:clap:

*Edit* Also, could we please display our names and perhaps even our stake in the cause (e.g. psychology trainee, psychologist, internship applicant, training director) when we sign? Can't really expect others to get behind this if we are timid.

Last edited:
Amen! Can we officially say it is time for us SDNers to start signing? We should be able to generate a healthy number of sigs before we even send through listserves.
:clap:

At least this process was significantly shorter than a journal submission, rewrite, re-submit, etc. :D I think we can consider the above as an approved text. So is there a link to an online petition (with the most updated version)?

At least this process was significantly shorter than a journal submission, rewrite, re-submit, etc. :D I think we can consider the above as an approved text. So is there a link to an online petition (with the most updated version)?

Not with the last few updates. This is what it is right now: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/letter-to-apa-regarding-the-applicant-internship-imbalance/

There was some rewording of the last paragraph that was not included. Do y'all think it is worth losing the sigs we have to redo it? I'm game either way (and will even redo the petition before the night is over), but we just need to know now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not with the last few updates. This is what it is right now: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/letter-to-apa-regarding-the-applicant-internship-imbalance/

There was some rewording of the last paragraph that was not included. Do y'all think it is worth losing the sigs we have to redo it? I'm game either way (and will even redo the petition before the night is over), but we just need to know now.

NO, we don't need to keep on endlessly re-doing the letter. A re-wording will make no difference in its impact; however, the number of signatures will

*bump*

Cmon, guys. I am sure we can do better than this. For all of the discussion on this board about the state of psychology, the internship imbalance, market flooding, low wages, etc, which accounts for almost 50% of the posts on this forum, you'd think we could get more than 30 sigs.

Yes, there is plenty of sentiment out there to support this I expect, but you need some ways to relay it through FB or APAGS, etc I'm guessing as folks "drop off" of a forum like this once they "move on"....which of course is source of the difficulty in getting change to happen I am too old to know what the technical routes to this are, but don't give up! Maybe try posting an additional thread with a re-direct to the link?

*bump*

Cmon, guys. I am sure we can do better than this. For all of the discussion on this board about the state of psychology, the internship imbalance, market flooding, low wages, etc, which accounts for almost 50% of the posts on this forum, you'd think we could get more than 30 sigs.

The first sentence of the last paragraph is too all-inclusive for my tastes. Other portions of the letter focus on a combination of factors, then suddenly the letter shifts to seemingly focus on all programs that work off the student loan system despite their success with those other factors (EPPP, APA Internship Rate, intensive training, etc.). It seems like a red herring to me and its final point does not align with the earlier points that highlight a combination of factors.

The first sentence of the last paragraph is too all-inclusive for my tastes. Other portions of the letter focus on a combination of factors, then suddenly the letter shifts to seemingly focus on all programs that work off the student loan system despite their success with those other factors (EPPP, APA Internship Rate, intensive training, etc.). It seems like a red herring to me and its final point does not align with the earlier points that highlight a combination of factors.

With all due respect, I can understand wanting to support all statements in full, but to come in in the 11th hour after the thing has been drafted, JS has asked repeatedly for edits, and we've started accumulating sigs and then take issue with one sentence is a bit... I don't know. Would you suggest we edit and we start over?

With all due respect, I can understand wanting to support all statements in full, but to come in in the 11th hour after the thing has been drafted, JS has asked repeatedly for edits, and we've started accumulating sigs and then take issue with one sentence is a bit... I don't know. Would you suggest we edit and we start over?

I'm not suggesting you do anything. I wasn't following the thread. I'm just noting why I won't endorse it.

FYI, the petition would carry more power if people signed their names. I realize this leaves people vulnerable to identification and potential repercussions, but anonymous signings are rather meaningless and ineffective politically.

I am not a frequent poster on this board. I often reserve my contributions--preferring to just read, stay informed, and be entertained.

However I have to say that I am completely surprised by the lackluster response to this letter. While I certainly think 38 signatures is a great start, I am surprised by the number of anonymous endorsements. How is that helpful? I'm not familiar with this petition site and how it all works. Is it possible to not have the name displayed publicly, but still have the full name delivered to the APA? I sure hope so. If not, then it is no surprise that psychologists have done such a poor job at establishing ourselves. It is no wonder we cannot advocate for higher reimbursements or stave off master's level advancements into our practice. It is no wonder psychiatrists are making over double what we make without a fraction of the evidence to support the efficacy of their work. It is no wonder other disciplines like neurology and speech pathology have liberally "borrowed" from neuropsychology's ideas and techniques. We are spineless. What is everyone afraid of? Is the APA going to seek out all who sign this letter, which, by the way, is only asking for them to do their job and actually do something about the internship mess? Will they blacklist us somehow? Unlikely. At some point,our field has got to learn how to get out of first gear and really get behind something.

I'm not familiar with this petition site and how it all works. Is it possible to not have the name displayed publicly, but still have the full name delivered to the APA? I sure hope so.

Yes, your name is viewable by APA, but you can request it not be publicly displayed on the general site.

Oy the VA. Greed is not good, but neither is being in service to the military industrial complex. At a basic level, the two are not different...

I would sooner have sex with my mother than work in a VA. All the agonizing over lack of money in the field and not one word about the federal military/homeland security budget… Medical centers – meh. I’m not one of the medical manifest destiny types...

1. The FSPS I attend does not advertise its program on busses, radio programs or SDN banners. The only reason it would be bad if it did would be if it was if the quality of my programming was being compromised to recruit more students. So yes, I agree, it could be worrisome. But your four parameters were not subtle enough to tease out a difference between my program and a program that operates like this.

2. There is quite a large cohort of people who have moved from out of state to attend my program. There are also international students.

3. The rub on many professional programs is that they value experience over academic indicators in their acceptance decisions. Now you are saying that students don’t have to worry about appropriate experience. I guess we are talking about different ideas of breadth, depth, etc.

4. Let me try an alternate reality out on you. You may castigate me all you like, refer me to the age thread, or worse. Just don’t necessarily believe I necessarily believe the formulation: Many folks who go to the unies go because they are drawn by the dream of power and prestige, the dream that their unsullied and unimpeachable rationality will be the highest octane fuel for the progressive machine... They are hooked at a time (late adolescence/early adulthood) when they are most floridly authoritarian. They come out sounding like elitists and work in the VA, or for the pharmaceutical-industrial/medical establishment. They argue that while greed may not be good, they are entitled to big dollars because they’ve paid their dues and their expertise is critical to the running of the machine… No less inflammatory, generalizing, or accurate than your portrait of an FSPS student...

Very well said. Thank you for taking the time to make the points that you have. As for the mindset seen here, I liken it to the notion that the victims of Hurricane Katrina were at fault for "stubbornly not leaving" Louisiana before it hit. Completely clueless and naive. Judging by the support the letter has garnered thus far, we can at least feel confident that the attitude isn't accurately representative of the field.

Much love Buzzwordsoldier, much love. :bow:

Yes, your name is viewable by APA, but you can request it not be publicly displayed on the general site.

Thanks for clearing this up.

Oy the VA. Greed is not good, but neither is being in service to the military industrial complex. At a basic level, the two are not different.

Huh? Wait. How is providing (mental) health care to veterans synonymous with greed? Whether you support the mission or not, I cannot imagine faulting the soldiers who, at the end of the day, put their lives on the line in our defense.

I would sooner have sex with my mother than work in a VA. All the agonizing over lack of money in the field and not one word about the federal military/homeland security budget… Medical centers – meh. I’m not one of the medical manifest destiny types. My guess is there’s more than enough work for folks who want to provide alternatives to that model

Such a strong disdain for VAs and med centers. Why? Perhaps cognitive dissonance? Devaluing an option that is not available to you? The funny thing is you disparage these settings while calling for psychology to get creative and expand our scope of practice. Perhaps you missed the fact that primary care, rehabilitation psych, health psych, and polytrauma are major areas where our practice and services are growing. Trauma is another area uniquely suited for psychologists given that pharmacotherapy can do more harm than good in the long-run and master's level training simply doesn't prepare one for managing these often complex cases (IMO--but feel free to bite my head off). As T4C already mentioned, med centers and VAs are great places if you want to be involved in training and admin as well. So what is your aversion these settings again?

OG has argued that they are superior training environments because of the rich cross-departmental support, but I’ll but there’s a fair amount of rigidity and interdepartmental competition for scarce resources in academia today…

Can't speak for others obviously, but you are way off mark when it comes to my program. In fact, I chose this school based on the inter-departmental supports. We have courses, practica, and research opportunities within psychology, the school of medicine, and public health. It is not uncommon for faculty from neurology, optometry, psychiatry, the affiliated VA, etc. to serve on dissertation and thesis committees for psychology graduate students. One program. But not a fierce competition for resources as all of our departments have their own funded faculty.

Thanks O Gurl and Therapist4Chng for your responses. This is looking less and less like an option for me, so at this point it's probably better to move forward and focus on applying next year. I'll take down the post in order to keep things focused on internship imbalance. I'm sure my personal situation is a product of that larger issue more than anything else.

Last edited:
I got the Missouri Psychological Association to post a link to the petition in the May newsletter that comes out in a couple of weeks. This should help

I got the Missouri Psychological Association to post a link to the petition in the May newsletter that comes out in a couple of weeks. This should help

Sweet! Nice move, edieb. :bow:

And Team Kakashi:

Sorry for how things turned out. :(

I think the points you raised are totally on topic. Sadly, I have no insights for you, but agree that the APA's response to your request suggests that their 2009 statement was disingenuous. How can they be all for programs taking responsibility for unplaced students while standing in the way of this happening? I am not sure that anyone has made a formal complain against the APA, but it would certainly seem worth it for you to check with your program/mentors for advice on the issue. You may find a surprising amount of support for this action.

....I am at a loss as to why APA would deny me the opportunity to take an unfunded internship that was created for me by my program. It sounds to me that the APA simply made that suggestion to shift the responsibility for the internship imbalance onto someone else (the schools) with no intention of following through with schools who actually do advocate for their students.

...it seems to me that creating a unfunded position is exactly the sort of thing that APA recommends in the case of unmatched students. My department approves of an unfunded internship, the site is willing to provide the necessary training and supervision, and I feel it is truly in my best interest, both personally and professionally, to take the unfunded internship when the alternative is having to wait a year, re-apply and in all likelihood relocate (away from my significant other and active research group) for a funded position.

While it may work for you, it will not work for the field. Interns already get paid next to nothing, and introducing unfunded positions (for whatever reason) will only make it worse. I don't think the APA wants to encourage unfunded positions, as that would legitimize them.

Huh? Wait. How is providing (mental) health care to veterans synonymous with greed? Whether you support the mission or not, I cannot imagine faulting the soldiers who, at the end of the day, put their lives on the line in our defense.

Not saying that providing MH care to vets is synonymous with greed. Lots of opportunities to get involved outside the VA.

Such a strong disdain for VAs and med centers. Why? Perhaps cognitive dissonance? Devaluing an option that is not available to you?

Last things first. I've worked in hospitals -- EDs, medical units, and behavioral health. I can do so again. Not sure I want to, but the landscape will change once I'm a fully credentialed psychologist and I'll revisit that option then. As for VAs, from what I can tell they continue to be an option until internship is settled.

I am certainly no stranger to cognitive dissonance, but I'm pretty sure it's not in play re: this issue at this point. So, why the disdain? Something to do with a strong pacifist leaning, a desire to create change, and a certainty that I can do that just as well if not better (and with less cognitive dissonance) outside the system. Working for change from within the system is pretty draining and even treacherous. This is certainly my own perspective and preference. My first mentor, whom I continue to esteem highly, works in the VA and is quite active in various dissident soldier networks, so I'm not saying nothing interesting happens there. Just my personal taste.

The funny thing is you disparage these settings while calling for psychology to get creative and expand our scope of practice. Perhaps you missed the fact that primary care, rehabilitation psych, health psych, and polytrauma are major areas where our practice and services are growing.

No, I got the memo. I am keen to know more about and even advance certain of these trends. I know you wouldn't argue that the two settings in question are the only places where these trends play out. But these settings are pretty well established institutions, no? Sure, there are opportunities for innovation and reform there, but as I said, it's not my thing. And I'm not sure the growth in these sectors is necessarily progressive, is it? You've asked me to consider analogies, so here's one for you -- McDonalds, Dunkin' Donuts and Subway are amongst the fastest growing franchises...if I were a vegan nutritionist I could certainly work there to rework their menus, but whether I'd be happy and whether whatever innovations I could introduce would represent meaningful innovation in community health...

Trauma is another area uniquely suited for psychologists given that pharmacotherapy can do more harm than good in the long-run and master's level training simply doesn't prepare one for managing these often complex cases (IMO--but feel free to bite my head off).

Interesting but I'm not sure I get your gist. Are you linking this to RxP?

Can't speak for others obviously, but you are way off mark when it comes to my program. In fact, I chose this school based on the inter-departmental supports. We have courses, practica, and research opportunities within psychology, the school of medicine, and public health. It is not uncommon for faculty from neurology, optometry, psychiatry, the affiliated VA, etc. to serve on dissertation and thesis committees for psychology graduate students. One program. But not a fierce competition for resources as all of our departments have their own funded faculty.

You chose wisely.

Very well said. Thank you for taking the time to make the points that you have. As for the mindset seen here, I liken it to the notion that the victims of Hurricane Katrina were at fault for "stubbornly not leaving" Louisiana before it hit. Completely clueless and naive. Judging by the support the letter has garnered thus far, we can at least feel confident that the attitude isn't accurately representative of the field.

Much love Buzzwordsoldier, much love. :bow:

Thanks, and strength to you. :highfive: It often feels a bit unproductive to come to this forum and be told how wrong I am, but that's part of the business no matter what the setting.

As for the petition, I'm not sure whether it matters whether it gets one more or ten thousand more signatures. If this one fails it's not necessarily because the petition isn't representative of the field -- it could be this isn't the coalition to introduce/promote it. It could be that the field is rife with apathy. In any case, it felt important to challenge some of the less nuanced talking points and the more or less anonymous prejudices that seem likely to enter the debate in a central fashion.

I like feeling elite as much as the next guy, but this particular PsyD bashing thread has taken a turn toward the absurd. You realize that your requests cannot be granted, right?

Your first request is that the APA sanction programs that charge tuition that is close to the student loan maximums. First of all, no school does this. If any school charged tuition equal to the federally guaranteed loan maximum its students would be unable to eat. Five years is a long time to go without a sandwich. Second, I think you all might want to look at your tuition bills before you advocate for these sanctions. Almost all clinical psychology programs charge a bunch of money for tuition. In most cases this tuition charge is effectively nullified by grant assistance, but that does not change the fact that the tuition bill existed in the first place. What you actually seem to be concerned about is indebtedness, but your request targets programs based upon what they charge. The APA could include average student indebtedness in their guidelines for reaccreditation, but this isn’t what you are asking them to do.

Your second request is that the APA remove accreditation from the programs that you don’t like. That is great except that it violates both the APA’s bylaws and most states’ laws concerning due process and civil liability. Accreditation cannot be removed for any reason other than those listed in the accreditation standards, and the method by which it is removed must conform to the process defined by the COA. You could suggest an amendment to the APA bylaws allowing the COA to rescind accreditation whenever the mood strikes them, but this will fail.

Your third request is that the APA try to persuade state licensing boards to refuse to license students who have a lot of debt. I guess the APA could make this suggestion, but it will ignored unless the suggestion also involves some alteration of the model licensing act. State licensing boards carry out their duties in accordance with whatever psychology licensing act was passed in their state. How, exactly, would you suggest a licensing act be altered in order to make it so that highly indebted students would not qualify? More importantly, why would a state legislature care? Licensing acts exist to protect the public from unqualified professionals; do you really intend to argue that high levels of debt make a psychologist unqualified? Are psychologists who have a mortgage less able to help their clients than psychologists who rent?

Let’s be honest here. You want professional schools closed because you believe that you are smarter than the people who attend them and your career will be easier/better/more prestigious if they no longer exist. It is insulting to your purported colleges when you cloak your naked ambition in condescending concern for the “young professional population.”

Let's be honest here. You want professional schools closed because you believe that you are smarter than the people who attend them and your career will be easier/better/more prestigious if they no longer exist. It is insulting to your purported colleges when you cloak your naked ambition in condescending concern for the "young professional population."

7dfa3_ORIG-applause.gif

Some people have been candid about their concern for the future of the field due to lower standards in the field, so while perhaps the focus in the thread is often on the explicit (survival of the field), in many instances the focus by nature illuminates the implicit (individual survival).

Last edited:
Your first request is that the APA sanction programs that charge tuition that is close to the student loan maximums. First of all, no school does this. If any school charged tuition equal to the federally guaranteed loan maximum its students would be unable to eat.."

Wrong. Many professional schools have tuition at 30k per year and some even slightly more. Without taking out a graduate PLUS loan (in addition to maxing out the staffords), it would indeed be hard for them to eat.
Second, I think you all might want to look at your tuition bills before you advocate for these sanctions. Almost all clinical psychology programs charge a bunch of money for tuition..."

Wrong. Most traditional clnical psychology ph.d program charge no tuition (ie., remission) and a stipend is given for support.

Your second request is that the APA remove accreditation from the programs that you don't like. That is great except that it violates both the APA's bylaws and most states' laws concerning due process and civil liability. Accreditation cannot be removed for any reason other than those listed in the accreditation standards, and the method by which it is removed must conform to the process defined by the COA.
."

That's the problem, son. There has never been a consequence for having such obscenely large cohorts. That should change.

Let's be honest here. You want professional schools closed because you believe that you are smarter than the people who attend them and your career will be easier/better/more prestigious if they no longer exist. It is insulting to your purported colleges when you cloak your naked ambition in condescending concern for the "young professional population."

Wrong. The letter has made it perfectly clear how these program are contributing, more than any other one factor, to the match imbalance. If you value your profession, you will sign the petition.

Wrong. The letter has made it perfectly clear how these program are contributing, more than any other one factor, to the match imbalance. If you value your profession, you will sign the petition.

Um, so if I value my profession I should sign a petition that won't achieve its stated (and unstated, but actually more important) goals? I misunderstood you guys. I thought you were trying to do something. Sorry, my bad. This petition is a fantastic way to show the world just how angry you are.

Carry on.

Yes, not directly. It would take a substantial re-working of the system and there are many legal hurdles.

That's true. And, something I've suggested before (including program caused debt in the guidellines for accreditation). But, I think the point is made that this is talking about debt.

True depending on your definition of "programs you don't like."

Well, yes, this would fail, but if you were able to defend the reasons and not state as whim, then it would have a chance.

Hmm, the topic sentence of the last paragraph is misleading without context, I should have worded that better.

I wouldn't want to do that. I would want to make it so that programs that caused high indebtedness most of the time cannot produce a licensed psychologist. But, in part, that's a proxy issue. What I want is for programs to be shut down that have admission standards substantially below the mean for clinical psychology (funded), that cause high debt, that exist solely because of the student loan system, that farm out training to the community, basically providing a leach-like situation (student pay program huge dollars to get training elsewhere = profit for the program), that have below par faculty, that have poor APA match rates, and that produce students that score poorly on the EPPP and never pursue board certification sponsored by ABPP.

No, I intend for the above to indicate lesser qualification than students from other programs that don't share these characteristics. The high debt is a proxy.

I do not completely disagree with you about your goals. Some of the professional schools are out of control. I do think exterminating professional schools is throwing the baby out with the bath water, but I am also not completely convinced that this is not the best solution.

I also don't necessarily think maintaining prestige, protecting compensation, and limiting competition is an unworthy goal, let's just be honest about our motivations.

Tactically, I think a specific actionable proposal would garner more support than demands the APA cannot possibly meet.

Um, so if I value my profession I should sign a petition that won't achieve its stated (and unstated, but actually more important) goals? I misunderstood you guys. I thought you were trying to do something. Sorry, my bad. This petition is a fantastic way to show the world just how angry you are.

Carry on.

Mwhahahah! Stop poking badgers with spoons... :laugh:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx6TBrfCW54&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/YOUTUBE]

Do not taunt the Honey Badger/Super Happy Fun Ball! :D

Honey badgers are freaking adorable.

Anyway ...

Since I hate it when people offer criticism without suggestions, I suppose I am obligated to throw my .02 in following my criticism.

I think most people who signed this petition would agree that the primary issue with professional schools isn’t the training model but its application. Although there is some criticism of university-based PsyD programs on this board, most of the criticism is leveled at huge professional schools that take in cohorts of 70+ and leave their students in massive debt. If these characteristics of programs are the problem, then you should directly target the elements of the program that are bothersome. Of the two problems listed here, debt seems to be the most central one. Most of the PsyDs you find problematic are ones that were taken into programs with lax standards so that the program could collect federal student loan money. Thus debt = funding for the bad actors in clinical training. Reducing debt will reduce the profitability of professional schools. Reducing profitability will reduce the reward associated with flooding the market

Debt –. One simple suggestion is to amend the Accreditation Guidelines and Principles so that all school must publicly disclose the 25th percentile, median, and 75th percentiles of educational debt upon graduation for their students. This seems like a modest change, but it would actually have a pretty profound impact on the worst offenders among the professional schools. One of the primary reasons PsyD students end up failing to graduate in five years is an inability to find practicums and an inability to complete a dissertation. Both of these problems are disproportionately present in programs that take more students than they can effectively train (or those who take students who cannot be effectively trained regardless of faculty sufficiency). Programs that take 70 students will see delays reflected in their students average debt. Some of the students entering the program based upon the promise that they will pay 120,000 for their doctorate may change their mind when they see debt loads of 170k+. This would also be the first step toward establishing accreditation benchmarks for student debt, and this would help all clinical psych students.

APA – Although I think amending the G+Ps would help, APA is ultimately not going to be the most powerful ally for the field of psychology. APA’s unofficial motto when confronted with controversy is “compromise so that we can have the worst of both worlds.” The US Department of Education, however, might be more helpful. Income-based repayment of student loans and the federal takeover of student loans from Sallie Mae make the federal government a huge stakeholder in loan repayment. Last year the USDE outlined rules that would require for-profit educational institutions to prove that a certain percentage of their graduates secured gainful employment in order to remain eligible for federal student loans. Gainful employment was defined as a job that paid well enough for students to reasonably make loan payments. As of right now, implementation of these rules has been suspended indefinitely after intense lobbying from for-profit giants like Phoenix and DeVry. Probably this is for the best since the regulations were silly. The USDE made a distinction between for-profit and not-for-profit schools even though this distinction is basically meaningless. Alliant, The Chicago School, and Adler are all “not-for-profit” institutions yet their classes are enormous. If you want to stop the flood of psychologists into the market, call your senator and ask him or her to push for gainful employment requirements for ALL graduate schools in medicine, mental health, and law. Only students can undertake this particular lobbying effort since none of your programs (Ph.D. or PsyD) want to be held to this standard, and academic psychologists control the APA. Personally, I see no reason why Ph.D. programs should feel any less pressure to help their students find jobs than PsyD programs. Expanding this regulation to all mental health graduate programs serves the further benefit of preventing the worst offending PsyD programs from switching to MA in counseling programs and flooding the market with cheap MA clinicians.

I'm happy to report that the petition was distributed through the APPIC intern and postdoc network list serves. Dr. Keilin was supportive of the distribution. Hopefully, we will see some increase in signatures now that this thing is finally making way outside of the small (but fascinating) world of SDN. :D

I'm happy to report that the petition was distributed through the APPIC intern and postdoc network list serves. Dr. Keilin was supportive of the distribution. Hopefully, we will see some increase in signatures now that this thing is finally making way outside of the small (but fascinating) world of SDN. :D

I saw it this morning! Great move, KayJay!
:soexcited:

I just looked at that link, Cara. It is their same ol spiel. It is mindboggling that neither APPIC nor the APA will utter a word about the vast increase in trainees in recent years. 4,100 intern applicants last year alone? That is a ton of new psychologists who are in for a rude awakening given that the market for psychologists has not grown nearly as fast. By a rough view of the time line (largest exponenital increases since the late 90's early 2000's) it would appear that the growth and expansion of professional schools is a large contributing factor. Yet no one with the authority to change it will even acknowledge the problem. Wtf?

Oh, well. Hopefully this letter/petition will draw some attention to the pink elephant in the room.

In CUDCP as well

You may want to post to the New Psych List.

(Though a brand-new debate may ensue!)

Edit: I received an interesting and thoughtful forward of an exchange between some DCTs regarding the petition. I have requested permission to share it here. Will keep you guys posted. :)

Last edited:
Edit: I received an interesting and thoughtful forward of an exchange between some DCTs regarding the petition. I have requested permission to share it here. Will keep you guys posted. :)

I'd definitely be interested in reading that if they agree to its being posted. If not, even just a general synopsis would be very interesting and informative.

Hi, all,

I received the following message yesterday. It is a chain response from the circulation of the petition on the CUDCP list serve. It appears that this petition is making it to the "higher ups" (DCTs and others). That is the great news. The not so good news is that there is some hesitancy in terms of legal ramifications from some of the stronger potential options proposed…or at least the way they were interpreted. Whereas the APA does not have the right to ask for these programs to shut their doors (and rightfully so) or restrict the degrees they can offer, I still think we have a case that the APA can implement additional accreditation standards that would prevent these programs from continuing to operate in such a reckless manner. After all that is that not the point of having a governing/advocating body? Below, Dr. Strauss suggests an alternative that focuses on a truth in advertising approach. What do you guys think?

Btw, I sent a link to this thread to Dr. Strauss so that he and/or other DCTs can follow/contribute to brainstorming and discussion here on SDN.

Dear Ms James,

The petition you are circulating was posted on the list-serve of the Council of University Directors of Clinical Psychology. I was one of those who replied to the originator of the posting , Wyndol Furman. One of the other respondents suggested that it might be useful to your group to see my reply, and so I am forwarding it to you.

As you will see, I think there are major legal issues in the approach taken and I suggest an alternative that I'd expect current students to have the technological skills to implement.

My best wishes for success in developing strategies for solving this truly horrific problem.

Milton Strauss
Emeritus Professor of Psychology
Case Western Reserve University

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 11:11 AM
Subject: Re: [CUDCP:] FW: APA petition
To: "Furman, Wyndol - Clinical Area Head" <[email protected]>
Cc: [email protected]

There is a fundamental problem with this petition. The proposed solution is restraint of trade, which is against the anti-trust laws. Accreditation by the Commission on Accreditation is voluntary. So long as an institution is approved by a regional accrediting body for higher education (and you may notice that some of the schools the petition alludes to are approved by accrediting bodies not in their geographic region) it may offer any degrees which meet the standards of that regional accreditor and any relevant state oversight body.

It is tragic that for-profit schools are able to enroll students in programs that may not meet licensing requirements in some states, not lead to a formal internship (not required for licensure in many state laws0 and burden students with life-long debt.

The road to change is very difficult --- it requires changing state licensing laws to require that programs be accredited by a psychology accrediting body recognized by the Commission on Higher Education Accreditation and the Department of Education.

I think the best we can do as a profession is to make as much "truth in advertising" information available on the web in as many forms as possible so that undergrads (who unfortunately in my experience often don't get much in the way of guidance about professional education in non-medical fields including counseling, social work, and professional psychology) and non-traditional students and those who were not psychology students as undergrads (who seem to a large part of the market for NCSPP programs). Hopefully, with many sites or links to a few sites, such prospective applicants may stumble up information that would be helpful to them in making decisions about becoming doctoral level psychologist.

Milton

A lurking former long-time DCT, now happily retired.

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 10:22 AM, Furman, Wyndol - Clinical Area Head <[email protected]> wrote:
Attached is a link to a petition on internship imbalance that is apparently beginning to be circulated among students
I'd be interested in other's reactions to it, as I'm a little ambivalent about circulating it.
I certainly like the expression of dissatisfaction, but not sure all their proposed solutions are the best ones.

Wyndol Furman, Ph. D.
John Evans Professor and Director of Clinical Training
Department of Psychology
University of Denver
Denver, CO 80208
(e) [email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>
(p) 303-871-3688
(f) 303-871-4747

Thank you for posting this. I, however, remain rather unsatisfied with that response.

What I see here is that bureaucracy is getting in the way of common sense. I know that some of the demands seem "over the top" and that some may not even be workable (as they suggest), but this "truth in advertising" bit that Dr. Strauss suggests reeks of more of the same to me-Recognition of a massive problem (injustice?) without any decisive action to correct it. For a profession that seems to push the importance of ethics, we sure seem to implicitly condone (by not doing anything about it) this ethically dubious practice...dont we??

I can appreciate the argument that the match imbalance is "complicated." However, I feel that the "complicated" part is really artificially imposed...and of our own doing. I think the underlying, fundamental element/reason is actually very simple. Supply vs demand. I understand that fixing it will be tough (and neccesitate some creative thinking and tough decision), but I really cant stand it when people use this a fall-back excuse to justify why we can't do much of anything about in the near future! Sit back and let Rome burn so long as we tell people coming into the city about the fire? Please....

PS: If I am this outraged and I matched, and cant imagine how those who did not match must feel...

Last edited:
I agree with Dr. Strauss that a "truth in advertising" campaign could be useful, especially if we centralize that information those of us frequently provide when asked to potential program X or Y. Something akin to the Insider's Guide, available (and widely disseminated) online, and with additional information such as APA internship placement status, average cost of attendance, and average/range of student debt upon graduation (if these things aren't already included in the Guide).

I can see the issue with requesting that the APA force these programs to close their doors. I would imagine something like that would require, at the least, the intervention of the DoE (as mentioned by an earlier poster). However, I don't imagine it would be illegal to have the APA revise its accreditation criteria and standards to address some of the issues raised in the petition. Then, implementing a single national training standard (e.g., APA accred at both the doctoral and internship levels) to be trickled down to state licensing boards could provide the "teeth" necessary to encourage programs/sites to maintain accreditation, and to punish those that seek to circumvent the system.

And I agree with erg--desipte having matched, I remain highly dissastisfied (to put it politely) with the imbalance and all of its contributing factors.