A little advice from Current Med students would be appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bruinmojo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I dont know if any of you can answer my question, but I was wondering if a low verbal score is really going to hurt my chances of getting into a good medical school. I recently got my scores, and I got a horrible 7 on teh verbal but I got a 12 on teh physical and an 11 on the bio. I have a pretty high GPA, I have received many awards and stipends (for my research) in my first three years of school, and I'm also involved in a local community college opera and other extracullicular activities. Should I really take the MCAT again this summer just to build up about 2 points on my verbal? I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get any higher than 9. I just dont want to risk taking it again, and soemhow do worse on my bio or physical.

What do you guys suggest i Do ?

I am a third year right now, and I am in a five year plan, and right now my summer is filled up with the GE classes im finishing up on, research that I am being paid to do....etc. Just the thought of studying for the MCAT again is horrifying me.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. No, I don't think a 7 verbal will hurt you. The aspects of your app you mentioned sound really strong. Make sure the recs are good. I just graduated from UCLA undergrad and I've been accepted to UCSF med amongst ohter UC's with a 9 verbal and the same total score you had. I have a firned accepted to ucla with the same verbal score you had. Don't sweat it. The mcat is really minor once you pass certain checkpoints in the app process. Good luck.