A little advice from somebody with experience would be great.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CardboardCutout

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently accepted to a DO program that specializes in GP. I really am not interested in GP and am set on practicing a specialty in the future. I also have the opportunity to attend an MD program, but I would be a part of the inaugural class. I do not know how this will affect my residency placement, so I am likely to decline this offer.

Between the two, I would choose the DO school, since it is well established and I have spoken with graduates who were able to place in their residency of choice. However, I am wondering if any of you have had experience with DO school and how difficult it was to obtain your residency of choice.

If my chances are slim, then I was wondering what you all thought of the role of a physician's assistant instead. Whether or not the fewer years in school and the smaller amount of student loans make it a better option for somebody in my position.

Additionally, if you wouldn't mind giving me some of your personal experiences with medical school. How great were the sacrifices you made to attend? Were you able to maintain relationships with close friends and families during schooling/residency? Do you feel medical school was worth it to you?

Thanks for any and all advice you can give. I am at a crossroads of sorts and have a limited window of time to decide whether or not I want to jump feet first into becoming a physician or to take the route and pursue PA school.

Members don't see this ad.

Almost in the exact same place (no MD acceptance) and I am a nontrad. I would love to see what the consensus is. I checked into it and, according to my state board, as a PA I would have the ability to open my own clinic (paying a physician consultant, of course) and still practice underserved medicine like I want. Wondering if four years plus a residency and extra debt will really be worth it in the end...

Edit: I am not concerned about a residency match as there are many DO's in the field I would go into if I go the DO route. I am more interested in comparing DO with PA in the long run...

Last edited:
You don't tell us which DO school, what residency you "want" and don't tell us things such as where you want to end up at the end of this (NE, SW, W, MW). Those are important factors.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't tell us which DO school, what residency you "want" and don't tell us things such as where you want to end up at the end of this (NE, SW, W, MW). Those are important factors.

You forgot the SE :cool:

I was recently accepted to a DO program that specializes in GP. I really am not interested in GP and am set on practicing a specialty in the future. I also have the opportunity to attend an MD program, but I would be a part of the inaugural class. I do not know how this will affect my residency placement, so I am likely to decline this offer.

Between the two, I would choose the DO school, since it is well established and I have spoken with graduates who were able to place in their residency of choice. However, I am wondering if any of you have had experience with DO school and how difficult it was to obtain your residency of choice.

If my chances are slim, then I was wondering what you all thought of the role of a physician's assistant instead. Whether or not the fewer years in school and the smaller amount of student loans make it a better option for somebody in my position.

Additionally, if you wouldn't mind giving me some of your personal experiences with medical school. How great were the sacrifices you made to attend? Were you able to maintain relationships with close friends and families during schooling/residency? Do you feel medical school was worth it to you?

Thanks for any and all advice you can give. I am at a crossroads of sorts and have a limited window of time to decide whether or not I want to jump feet first into becoming a physician or to take the route and pursue PA school.

Just because a school states their goal is primary care doesn't mean you HAVE to go that route. My school pushes primary care in all talks and interview process. In the beginning, I had no intention of doing primary care. I wanted to specialize in something when I was in your shoes.

I got out in the real world...decided I hated all specialties due to the lack of variety. Granted, a lot of my fellow class mates are going into general surgery, ortho, optho, ENT, rads, EM and others. This is coming from a "primary care school".

Best advice is to go to the school that is the cheapest and closest to your family. Cheapest is the probably the better option. Medical school is what YOU make it.

Sadly, I don't have any advice on the PA thing. I'm a 4th year medical student so I can't go back :laugh: Good luck

FYI: GP or general practitioner is an outdated term in the US that more commonly refers to a physician who completed only the mandatory 1-year internship and began practicing shortly thereafter, without additional training. Primary care is not synonymous with GP in this country. I doubt any school has a mission to start pumping out GPs. I know, it's semantics, but best know the lingo before going to interviews and what-not.

And as an aside, you don't KNOW what you want. You think you do. This will change. Keep an open mind and learn as much as possible regardless of current speciality of interest. Plus, odds are (statistically speaking), you'll end up in primary care anyway, regardless of your institution of choice.

FrPlus, odds are (statistically speaking), you'll end up in primary care anyway, regardless of your institution of choice.
i used to think this also dharma but no longer think this way.

there are plenty of specialties out there that are not competetive and are diamonds in the ruff

pmnr, EM, pathology. neurology, psychiatry, infectious disease(not that competetive of a fellowship out of IM)

Last edited:
Just tell us the schools you will remain completely anonymous.

I was accepted into Michigan State's DO program and have the option to attend Central Michigan's new MD program. I intend to stay in the Midwest and practice in the area, preferably Michigan.

I was accepted into Michigan State's DO program and have the option to attend Central Michigan's new MD program. I intend to stay in the Midwest and practice in the area, preferably Michigan.

ok im gonna go out on a limb and say that Michigan's DO program is one of the best DO programs in the country. tons of alumni, part of a great undergrad so you will have those resources. many of there graduates go on to specialize so as previous posters have stated, you will have no issue specializing as long as you have the grades/scores. if it was me however, I would still choose the new MD as you will have less hoops to jump thru. (1 board exam, no bias from MD residencies, yes it still exists to an extent). however, thats me, you do what you feel best.

as far as going PA instead of MD/DO. thats really up to you. I didnt even think about going PA personally just cause i would want my own autonomy and not have to answer to someone above me regarding my medical decisions. Shallow? I know but for me this was true.

as for sacrifices, regardless of what route you choose you will have to make some sort of sacrifices, even in your own personal life. I love to fish, but havent fished at all since school has started. as for relationships, my wife moved with me, but i did move 7+ hours away from family of which I only see twice a year now, so thats a change.

it sounds like you need to do some soul searching. and quickly. cause summer is right around the corner. good luck

Unless you really want to focus in manipulation or have no other options, don't go to an osteopathic school. If you have an acceptance to an American MD program, you should take it.

There are huge differences between a new MD school and a new DO school. The most important one at your level is that the LCME is more diligent concerning the academic standards with new schools than the AOA. A new MD program is more likely to have (or develop) solid clinical affiliates for you to train in than most established osteopathic programs. Indeed, while osteopathic schools' class sizes have increased, their clinical affiliations are decreasing in both quality and quantity.

While many osteopathic schools have decent match lists, and most students will match, it's no secret that you are more likely to get the residency you want, in the location you want, as an American MD graduate. Your discussions with osteopathic graduates that you mention can be misleading - it isn't uncommon for people to be less than candid with strangers when it comes to their Match results, and it is a lot easier to match in some residencies than others. If you aren't really interested in GP (I'm assuming that means general practice) you'll be handicapping yourself from the outset by going to an osteopathic program.

If the MD school you were accepted at is MSU-CHM, I would argue they push underserved primary care much harder than the DO program. Go PA. Less school, less loans, less lawsuits and good money.

Members don't see this ad :)
MSU-around 1500 pgy1 residency spots [will all be acgme accredited soon] in almost every specialty + fellowships

Has central mich created any with its affiliates?

I'd probably go to the new MD school. The DO school probably has better training, but being a USMD will make your life easier when you are applying to residency.

I'm a 4th year DO. I liked my school and I think I got a good education. Im applying for anesthesia currently and I have gotten over 40 interview invites. I don't think being a DO is bad as these forums make it seem, but it will limit your career options. In general, even if you're a phenomenal student, it is unlikely you'll match acgme orthopedics, neursosurgery, dermatology, radition oncology, ENT, or urology. Moreover, even if you're an amazing student, top Acgme programs will not match you. If you are cool with the above then go to msucom without any second thoughts.

I thought med school was fun, maybe even better than college. It isn't as much work as people make it out to be.

not bad on for a new school. just primary care, er, ob, and surg spots though while msu has more specilaties and the numbers

True, but this is largely irrelevant for a discussion regarding the merits of a medical school.

There is no reason one could not apply for the MSU residencies after finishing medical school anywhere else.

[will all be acgme accredited soon] in almost every specialty + fellowships

It is not celar whether and how the AOA residenceies will get ACGME accreditation. The above statement is a misconception. There is an ocean's worth of difference between ACGME and AOA accreditation in many fields. To assume all will automatically be accrdeited is incorrect.

OP, go to MD school.

I say this as a 4th year applying to IM with more than two dozen academic allopathic invites - being a DO didn't limit me too much in that department. However, the points raised above regarding the quality of osteopathic 3/4 year clinical education were spot on in my experience. Matching competitive specialties on the ACGME side is going to be easier as an MD, and even in less competitive specialties you'll get more opportunities. I have MD friends with worse stats than mine that received invites to competitive programs that wouldn't touch me (one of which has an unofficial 'no DOs' policy). It doesn't bother me that much, but one of the programs was in a city that I really wanted to be able to end up in.

Bottom line: I'd certainly consider going ACGME even if it cost more.

Go to a USMD school. I don't care how good the DO school is, as a 4th year USMD student you will get the maximum yield of invites regardless of the student you become. No one will simply shut you out because they don't take DO's.

you know at the end of the day dont you want the best education you can get? Michigan State is an extremely good school and you will have no limitations in career choices coming out. will you be able to do neurosurg at harvard? no, but i dont know if thats an option from a brand new MD school that doesnt even have accreditation yet. its a tough choice, but the reason you go to medical school is to get a medical education, why not choose the best one? one other thing to consider is cost difference. a lot of these new MD schools that are opening (at least the new one that opened in FL a few yrs ago), offered pretty sweet scholarships to the inaugural classes. if this is the case, i would pick the MD school if you can save a bunch on cost of education. either way i think its a win win, you got into two US medical school. congrats

Depends on what you want to do. IM, FM, Peds, Psych, OB etc. probably don't require one over the other. The MSU DO program is very good--ranks higher than MD programs if you put stock in US News. The MD school is probably better for some of the surgery specialties, derm, rad, etc.

That being said, you will likely change your mind at least once in your tenure as a medical student. Going in full bore for FM doesn't mean you won't come out wanting to do ortho or rads.

Some of the best advise I ever got was to keep your options as open as possible.

Lastly, no matter what specialty your school promotes, you're the one that makes the decision. You already have the acceptance, so you don't have to worry about saying primary care when you mean rads or something. No school can prevent you from choosing the specialty you want to do. You're then one that will be doing it for 30+ years

All med schools push primary care given the shortage. DO schools, mine included push it harder becasue it is the best way to incorporate OMM into your practice.

When I interviewed at NYCOM they asked me "1-10 your likelihood of entering a primary care field?' I asked if 0 was an option...

Schools do not have specialities. They have a greater % of grads go into a certain field, but that just depends on their students choices.

As for the MD vs DO option you have, I agree that being an MD makes the allopathic match easier. That said the ACGME is assuming control of the AOA match in the not to distant future so that entire process will change. Now, if your DO school option is a long standing high quality school, MSU, PCOM, TCOM, NYCOM....you WILL match. There are so many hosptials afilliated with these programs that matching is not hard. Now, if you are dead set on Gsurg at an allo program...I wouldnt go DO. However. If you are ok with doing some of the more difficult specialties at a DO shop, go to a good DO school and do well. You will match.

Do not, under any circumstances, go to a carribean school unless your options are that or no med school at all. And even with that choice, I would probably choose PA.

Go to the MD school, even if it's new. You'll have much more flexibility when it comes time to apply for ACGME residencies.

*sigh*

*sigh*

*siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh*

No medical school "specializes" in primary care. Every single medical school in this country gives you a general medical education that prepares you for any possible future. In fact, if you look at the US News med school "best schools for primary care" rankings, none of the top five are DO schools (heck, you have to get to #17 before you hit a DO school) and yet people insist that DO schools "specialize" in primary care. Their goal is primary care - so is the goal of almost every single med school in the country because primary care is predicting a significant shortage. Who knew Univ Colorado was a big primary care school? Or Harvard? Or Oregon? Washington? U Penn? Or Univ of Cali? All are ranked higher as "primary care med schools."

Eighty percent of all med students change their minds about what they were "absolutely positively 100% SURE no one and nothing is going to make me change my mind about doing". HOWEVER if you think you want to do ophtho, ortho, plastics, or derm, MD will be easier than DO. But they're not going to be a cake ride no matter where you go. It's like saying if you want to go to med school, go to Harvard for undergrad. The name will open doors. Same thing with where you go to med school - names open doors. Doesn't mean it's impossible.

Go where you want to go. UMich DO school is a very well known and well respected school - and I know more than a few of the UMich MD students who were rejected from the UMich DO side. The new school is unproven - which can be good or bad. There is no networking available for you yet, but you have the unique ability to carve new roads for the school. Curriculum will be changing often as they tweak it. While some things may be new, you may not have all the benefits of a more established med school. Weigh the pros and cons carefully and choose based on what suits your needs best.

Good luck to you.

I'd pick msucom over the other programs in Michigan other than UM. IMO your hands are tools for patient care and you'd be short changing yourself if you don't learn how to get the most out of them. my parents are both MDs and wanted me to go DO. Msucom at their hospital is held in higher regard than the MD school that it is affiliated with, which is on the east coast

Last edited:
I'd pick msucom over the other programs in Michigan other than UM. IMO your hands are tools for patient care and you'd be short changing yourself if you don't learn how to get the most out of them. my parents are both MDs and wanted me to go DO. Msucom at their hospital is held in higher regard than the MD school that it is affiliated with, which is on the east coast

Could you please provide with some of their elaboration on why they wanted you to choose US-DO over US-MD? (Are they IMG/FMG or US-MD graduates?)

Could you please provide with some of their elaboration on why they wanted you to choose US-DO over US-MD? (Are they IMG/FMG or US-MD graduates?)

Hmmmmmmm

Last edited:
Go MD. At first OMM seems like a good thing to learn...Yeah I drank the kool-aid too when I applied. But you'll soon discover that many of the treatments (ie cranial) have no scientific evidence behind it but yet you're still forced to learn not only the treatment but the quasi-science behind why it works. It's a complete waste of time especially when you have real basic science courses to study for.

Do you really want to be study sacral/cranial 3 days before your Neuroscience finals?

MSUCOM is arguably the best DO school with the most clerkship selection, best networking and residency matches in that world. No, I didn't go there, but every DO I've rotated with has either gone to Michigan for some part of their education or knows people that have.

It's true that AOA accredidation requirements are far lower than the AMA/ACGME ones and a fair amount of their clerkships are of lower quality, but I would say that MSUCOM, again, is the exception to this set of indicators.

By the way, US News & World Report is for rookies that have 200k+ to blow and don't want to do the real research. Use your MSAR as a start, then FREIDA to do research on specific residencies, and buy a hard copy of the GME directory by the AMA if you want something to leaf through before you make your decision.

The ACGME takeover of the AOA residencies will have many of them scrambling to meet the much stricter requirements and you run the risk of having to scramble for a new spot in your last year or two of GME if that happens to your program.

The AOA residencies, as a rule, have discriminated 100% against MDs entering their program, and most of the PDs will continue to follow suit, even after the formal blocks are removed so don't be surprised if some MD PDs continue to return in kind, but this is also one of of those exceptions, not the rule. My advice would be to go to MSUCOM then do an ACGME residency afterwards like the rest of us do.

I'm a DO and I approved this message.

I object to the leather Hammer-pants/skorts worn by one of the dancers, the use of half a bottle of Aqua Net by Brittany but I, otherwise, definitely want to turn that ish UP! And yes, I did catch the Gangham style dance moves too. I've got that song on replay right now. Will.i.am is still one of the few people that can T-Pain his way through an entire song and get hits from it.

DO DO DO...OOEO!

Last edited: