a little advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sbhambri

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I gave the april 99 MCAT and recieved a 27 (p-10, v-5, B-12, ws-Q). I have a science GPA of 3.94 and an overall GPA of 3.6. I have a lot of research and volunteering experience. Currently I am doing research in breast cancer. I have recieved a couple of fellowships. Do you think that I have a chance or that the verbal score will keep me out. Please advise

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should go ahead and apply.

I know someone that got a 5 in verbal with high numbers otherwise but failed to get into an allopathic school. He never considered DO schools because he was afraid he wouldn't get the residency he wanted. He has applied 3 times but the 5 has kept him out. Kind of short-sighted IMO.

Apply to DO schools and if your app. is as good as you say otherwise I think you should have a good chance.

I agree with DO dude. Go ahead and apply. I have to admit that a 5 is way to low, even for osteo schools, but if your other stats are good it might be a crap shoot. Retake the MCAt in August, and improve that verbal! Why did you get such a bad score? Are your English skills really that bad? Try reading some newspapers and books. If you even raise that score a couple of points, you have a much, much better chance of gaining admission to an osteopathic medical school. Good luck.

------------------
Nik
UNECOM class of '06

Members don't see this ad :)
I hate to give you bad news, but in my opinion, that 5 will keep you out of a U.S. med school. A 7 is viewed negatively, so a 5 will really hurt. Quite, frankly, how did you do so poorly on that section? Did you not get enough sleep, or were you distracted? If this was the case, I would definitely retake the MCAT. It won't hurt to apply if you can afford it, but it will take a lot of luck and/or convincing if you even get an interview. This is just my educated opinion.

If you pay attention to many of the comments here you would think that you would have to have a 30+ to get into DO school. On my interviews I met several people with 5's 6',7's and overall scores such as 22-25 who were accepted at several schools. Has it ever occurred to others that the 5 may be because english is not this persons native language? The fact that they scores 10, 12 on the science sections will be plenty to get interviews and then the rest is up to them. The fact remains that the average MCAT's are around 8-8.5 for DO schools. Being the average I would suspect that there are many students who get 6-7 on sections and probably 5.

Where do you go to school that would allow such atrocious scores? At the four well know and higher rated schools (PCOM,CCOM,OUCOM & MSUCOM) The average is more like 9's even though that is only .5 of a point higher the difference becomes larger when you consider an average means 50% of the students scored above and below.

Where do you go to school that would allow such atrocious scores? At the four well know and higher rated schools (PCOM,CCOM,OUCOM & MSUCOM) The average is more like 9's even though that is only .5 of a point higher the difference becomes larger when you consider an average means 50% of the students scored above and below your number.

I recommend that you retake the MCAT and study harder to try and improve your verbal score. It is possible to get into a school with a verbal=5 but I wouldn't advise giving schools a reason not to admit you. Try again, I am sure that you will improve.