a little advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IckeyShuffle

MS1 t-minus 1.5 months..
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just made one of these profiles, anyone got any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

It would be better if the MCAT scores were in...but since they aren't....based of your GPA...I think you should apply to more schools. you seem to have variety of EC...also, how good are you at writing essays?

you might want to add more lower tier schools. you've got some dream schools there and that's okay but its better to be safe with some targets.

Members don't see this ad :)
i feel like i am pretty good at writing essays. My early lower GPA is explained in my personal statement. When you guys say some lower tier schools, can you give me some examples? I figure if i cant get into my state schools i am not going to get into out of state private schools and i really dont plan on going far away from the midwest.

It would be better if the MCAT scores were in...but since they aren't....based of your GPA...I think you should apply to more schools. you seem to have variety of EC...also, how good are you at writing essays?

check out schools like EVMS, VCU, NYMC, Rush, Temple, Drexel, Jefferson

From what I know....most if not all private schools do not give preference to instate or out of state applicants since they ar not state funded. there has to be some private schools that are low tier.

From what I know....most if not all private schools do not give preference to instate or out of state applicants since they ar not state funded. there has to be some private schools that are low tier.

Thanks for input! I will take a look at those schools. I was just thinking the private schools would be more selective than state schools even if they are low tier.

Thanks for input! I will take a look at those schools. I was just thinking the private schools would be more selective than state schools even if they are low tier.

Private schools are more expensive so given a choice between instate tuition & private tuition, many excellent candidates will take the instate public school. That leaves the lower tier private schools with good applicants who couldn't get a seat at their state school.

Go to mdapplicants.com and enter your stats and see where people with your stats have gotten in (you can then narrow it down to private schools in the midwest). The list will show applicants undergrad institution and then you can open each file to see where they applied & where they got in.

you can also try MDready (link from the snd homepage) to look at average stats from various schools by state.
In Illinios, R.Franklin, Loyola & Rush might match up with your numbers.

thanks for the input, as you can see in my profile, i added a few more low tier schools. Rush, Albany, and Virginia Commonwealth.