A Little Advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TBD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new to this site. i have recently graduated with a premed degree and decided to take some time off from the science/mediacl field to see if that is really what i want to do. After a year of working in a none related field, i relized this is what i want to pursue.
My overall GPA is a 3.27. i pretty much slacked off the last year and a half in school (too much booze). i am scheduled to take the MCAT for the first time in April. i am kind of rusty on the material i learned in college... ok, i totally do not remember any physics nor organic because it was early in the morning and i was still pretty drunk/hungover. I am willing to take a prep course but i don't know which one would be best for me. i have some EC's that i did in my sophmore/junior year but i don't think that they will help me if i did put those down on my apps. i am going to apply to as many schools as i can afford. if someone has any adivse to what direction would be beneficial to me that would be awesome. Thanks and good luck to all.

Members don't see this ad.

TBD said:
I am new to this site. i have recently graduated with a premed degree and decided to take some time off from the science/mediacl field to see if that is really what i want to do. After a year of working in a none related field, i relized this is what i want to pursue.
My overall GPA is a 3.27. i pretty much slacked off the last year and a half in school (too much booze). i am scheduled to take the MCAT for the first time in April. i am kind of rusty on the material i learned in college... ok, i totally do not remember any physics nor organic because it was early in the morning and i was still pretty drunk/hungover. I am willing to take a prep course but i don't know which one would be best for me. i have some EC's that i did in my sophmore/junior year but i don't think that they will help me if i did put those down on my apps. i am going to apply to as many schools as i can afford. if someone has any adivse to what direction would be beneficial to me that would be awesome. Thanks and good luck to all.

i think that your gpa might be a little low unless you'll get a strong mcat score but for DO schools you should have a good shot. i'd sign up for a prep course, i hear that princeton does a good job with teaching the material but if you are determined and organized than save the money and study your self. a lot :) and do some nice ECs while you are studying. see what you score and go from there.
good luck

Well, not doing well in physics in ochem isn't such a great thing. GPA isn't that bad, but the downward trend might be a concern to adcoms. First thing is first, if you want to get in the next application cycle, then you need to rock the mcat. Like mid 30's rock. If you can't nail the mcat, or just don't get in, then you might want to consider doing post bac program to try and get your gpa up and show schools that you have what it takes to get through med school.

The other thing is that application success isn't all about mcats and gpa; those are the factors that will help get you looked at, but ultimately these two things alone will not get you in. You have to show admissions committees that you are dedicated to medicine, that you are going into it for the right reasons, that you know exactly what you're getting into, etc....

Members don't see this ad :)
silas2642 said:
The other thing is that application success isn't all about mcats and gpa; those are the factors that will help get you looked at, but ultimately these two things alone will not get you in. You have to show admissions committees that you are dedicated to medicine, that you are going into it for the right reasons, that you know exactly what you're getting into, etc....

I agree; you had better have a hell of a coming-to-Jesus story about why you want to be a doctor. Not only are your stats a challenge, but people evaluating you for a seven plus years commitment are not going to like your history, which screams "short attention span."

That said, I'm not trying to discourage you. Just know that you had better really want this, because your margin for error is gone.

I'd suggest:

*Kaplan. Go to every class, take every practice test. Do not rest until you can score a 36 in your sleep.

*Get a job in healthcare. CNA, EMT-B. Show them this is where you want to be, and get some patient-care stories. You'll need those.

*Practice interviews. Learn everything about the process. Talk to people who do interviews. Review typical questions interviewers ask and write down some good answers, including stories from your own life. And by stories from your own life, I mean make them up if you have to.

*Retake O Chem, Bio, and Physics and get a 4.0. That will fit seemlessly into your MCAT prep, raise your GPA, and make your kegger fade-out the middle act of your transcript, rather than the denouement.

*Repeat after me: "One day I was on the road to Damascus, when . . ."

Good luck!

You must have got a D in English because you can not spell the word "advice."

j/k :)